Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

5 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

I just saw another Rutgers on the result page. Anyone wants to claim this? I heard nothing from Rutgers. It does not look like a good sign.

Hi! That was me. I received an email from Viviane Deprez with the offer and an invitation to visit the University yesterday. I didn't expect an acceptance since the last acceptance post on the results page was more than a week ago... but I got it! So maybe they do not send their acceptances all together.

47 minutes ago, laura.st said:

Hi! That was me. I received an email from Viviane Deprez with the offer and an invitation to visit the University yesterday. I didn't expect an acceptance since the last acceptance post on the results page was more than a week ago... but I got it! So maybe they do not send their acceptances all together.

This gives me hope. It looks like they are sending out acceptance one by one.

This was not what was happening last year. Maybe because this year they have a new admission officer (last year was Grimshaw, but this year is Deprez.), they are doing things differently. 

Edited by historicallinguist

37 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Kai von Fintel just posted this link on Facebook: he got into UMass off the waitlist, notified by telegram on April 12. So, there is always hope!  

http://kaivonfintel.org/2014/04/28/telegram/

UMASS is under my radar. It is the second place I found people doing OT syntax (Ellen Woolford) besides Rutgers. Really hope that I can get into this one.

Hello everyone,

I got accepted to Penn and rejected from Stanford few days ago. Still waiting on four other responses but I'm not sure what to think since I didn't interview for any of them. I'm also very chuffed with the Penn offer (the two I've heard from were tied for first choice) and I'll probably take it, but I'd still like to visit other places to be sure, especially since that might help cover more of my travel costs for visiting from the UK.

10 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

UMASS is under my radar. It is the second place I found people doing OT syntax (Ellen Woolford) besides Rutgers. Really hope that I can get into this one.

If you want to do OT Syntax, you might want to consider Leipzig in Germany; they have a pretty good grad school, and Gereon Müller & Fabian Heck both have lots of love for OT Syntax.

3 hours ago, embeddedV2 said:

So what are we thinking about Harvard's timeline? There was one waitlist on the results page but no acceptances or rejections. 

Harvard sent out rej pretty late. The better way to find out the result is to email the DGS. That was how I knew I was rejected last year.

Edited by historicallinguist

1 hour ago, historicallinguist said:

But I cannot read German, that is the problem........

The program's in English though. I mean.. if you want to start this year, it's too late anyway. They do start in April though, so you could in principle apply for spring 2017. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
https://igra.philol.uni-leipzig.de/en/homepage/

On 05/02/2016 at 6:08 AM, vonham said:

I saw on the results page that people got answers a few weeks ago. Search "Linguistics UIUC" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also a few days ago someone got accepted to the MA program. I applied for the MA/PhD and haven't heard anything yet. I don't know whether this is an assumed rejection, or that they haven't finished their decisions for the MA/PhD program. I think we discussed it on this thread a page or two back

Hi, that was me! For some reason I wasn't able to post in the forums nor add results for weeks - thought it was the flash player or something, but updating various plug-ins didn't help..then it just works again *ohwell*. I think I got the UIUC notice very early because the department is nominating me for a fellowship. The funding webpage says nomination is due on 15 Jan and requires 'evidence of active recruitment efforts' :P

And congrats on your Arizona acceptance! I'm accepted by Arizona as well! Super excited. Hope to see you at the visit weekend?

On 30/01/2016 at 10:54 PM, cotterw said:

Hey y'all,

I saw some acceptances to U Arizona linguistics on the results page. Just wanted to say congrats from someone who is currently in that department! Hopefully we'll see you all at the visit weekend! 

Hi there, I was one of those! Thanks for answering my question about 5th year funding, and see you at the visit weekend :D

34 minutes ago, ylsun136 said:

Hi, that was me! For some reason I wasn't able to post in the forums nor add results for weeks - thought it was the flash player or something, but updating various plug-ins didn't help..then it just works again *ohwell*. I think I got the UIUC notice very early because the department is nominating me for a fellowship. The funding webpage says nomination is due on 15 Jan and requires 'evidence of active recruitment efforts' :P

And congrats on your Arizona acceptance! I'm accepted by Arizona as well! Super excited. Hope to see you at the visit weekend?

Congrats on the nomination, and the Arizona acceptance! I still haven't heard anything back from UIUC.

But yeah I'm so super excited for arizona! I'll def be going to the recruitment weekend; have my ticket booked and everything!  

6 hours ago, vonham said:

Congrats on the nomination, and the Arizona acceptance! I still haven't heard anything back from UIUC.

But yeah I'm so super excited for arizona! I'll def be going to the recruitment weekend; have my ticket booked and everything!  

About UIUC. I heard that they accepted 9 people this year (Mostly CompLing, P/P, and SLA) Their open house is coming up. I don't know if it was for the PhD prog only or both the MA and PhD programs....

11 hours ago, MelRel said:

About UIUC. I heard that they accepted 9 people this year (Mostly CompLing, P/P, and SLA) Their open house is coming up. I don't know if it was for the PhD prog only or both the MA and PhD programs....

*sigh* thanks for the update. I guess my prospects are looking dim with UIUC

18 hours ago, vonham said:

Thanks! My UIUC invite email says please RSVP by 9 Feb, so I assume by now they'd have contacted all invitees? As MelRel said they do seem to mostly take Comp, SLA and P/P people. Personally I feel the department also veers quite a bit into speech technology - UIUC as a school is strong on computer science, and industry-oriented at that, and it kind of seeps into linguistics.

But tbh I'm much more excited about Arizona coz we get to hike in the desert :D

19 minutes ago, ylsun136 said:

Thanks! My UIUC invite email says please RSVP by 9 Feb, so I assume by now they'd have contacted all invitees? As MelRel said they do seem to mostly take Comp, SLA and P/P people. Personally I feel the department also veers quite a bit into speech technology - UIUC as a school is strong on computer science, and industry-oriented at that, and it kind of seeps into linguistics.

But tbh I'm much more excited about Arizona coz we get to hike in the desert :D

I'm actually sort of dreading that because 1. I'm not an especially active person 2. I literally own sandals and rain boots and that's it haha.  I think I'll borrow more sensible shoes for the trip :P

But yeah, totally excited.  Mostly happy that it's not cold over there! I checked and the weather is about the same as it is in israel, so that's awesome 

On 1/23/2016 at 2:24 PM, wine-ing said:

That definitely makes it a little worse, but I'm happy for you. It's a great program. (Though, I'm consoling myself by telling myself that I didn't really want to move to/live in Michigan...)

Did the email say anything about the number of applicants this year?

Hey, I know this is a little after the fact and I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm a current UM student. They had about 150 applicants this year and will probably offer about 5 spots. Good luck with everything! Soon all will resolve and settle down! :)

8 hours ago, leesies said:

Hey, I know this is a little after the fact and I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm a current UM student. They had about 150 applicants this year and will probably offer about 5 spots. Good luck with everything! Soon all will resolve and settle down! :)

It looks like UM is getting more selective than before. I remember (maybe I am wrong) that in past years UM took more than 5 students per year.

Has anyone heard anything about when UMass Amherst or Santa Cruz will be releasing their decisions? From past data UMass is past due, and Santa Cruz should be right about now, does anyone have any information about this? Also, people talk about emailing the DGS (director of graduate studies?): is that considered rude, or is that something that is okay / expected to do?

ahhhhh who hear from CUNY?! I am soooo waiting to hear from them! Now I'm sitting with my email open convinced that I'll get an email any minute.

....and I just got my official acceptance to the ANLI program at Arizona, via email. That is really exciting, of course, because now it's more official. However, the letter stated that I was being waitlisted for funding :wacko:. This is really nerve-wracking, because I've also been waitlisted for funding at Pittsburgh, but for some reason I thought that funding is guaranteed at Arizona, so I wasn't worried. And I don't know how worried I should be. 

I guess I'll know more details at the recruitment weekend. It would just suck to not get funding at any program I got in to. 

17 hours ago, canaan.breiss said:

Has anyone heard anything about when UMass Amherst or Santa Cruz will be releasing their decisions? From past data UMass is past due, and Santa Cruz should be right about now, does anyone have any information about this? Also, people talk about emailing the DGS (director of graduate studies?): is that considered rude, or is that something that is okay / expected to do?

UMASS AMHERST should come in the next two weeks or so. From the result page, it looks like UMASS gave out offers at around Feb 24.

4 hours ago, vonham said:

ahhhhh who hear from CUNY?! I am soooo waiting to hear from them! Now I'm sitting with my email open convinced that I'll get an email any minute.

....and I just got my official acceptance to the ANLI program at Arizona, via email. That is really exciting, of course, because now it's more official. However, the letter stated that I was being waitlisted for funding :wacko:. This is really nerve-wracking, because I've also been waitlisted for funding at Pittsburgh, but for some reason I thought that funding is guaranteed at Arizona, so I wasn't worried. And I don't know how worried I should be. 

I guess I'll know more details at the recruitment weekend. It would just suck to not get funding at any program I got in to. 

I did not apply to CUNY. But out of curiosity, did you apply to CUNY'S master or Ph.D. program?

2 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

I did not apply to CUNY. But out of curiosity, did you apply to CUNY'S master or Ph.D. program?

2 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

Phd 

21 hours ago, canaan.breiss said:

I wrote to the admission manager of Santa Cruz and got the reply that "the faculty won't make final decision until March". However, I heard that they've sent out (at least some of) open house invitations. So...

I'm waiting for UMass too. It seems that they don't do interview regularly, but the results should be out soon.