Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

On 1/30/2016 at 5:07 AM, schwa said:

Hello!

I've seen some U Washington (Seattle) results trickle in this week. Anyone have more info on how you received these results? Email, or where on the website? I applied but haven't heard a peep, so I'm super curious ... !

Hi there! I'm a current student at UW. While I'm not 100% confident about when the AdCom is planning on sending out all first-round acceptances (and within my cohort those initial notifications varied; mine was via email by Toshi/Barbara the GPCs), I can tell you that they don't generally send out waitlist notifications. So if acceptances start popping up and you haven't heard anything yet, call the office! Our program admin should be able to tell you about the status of your app :) Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! 

27 minutes ago, MildlyCascadian said:

Hi there! I'm a current student at UW. While I'm not 100% confident about when the AdCom is planning on sending out all first-round acceptances (and within my cohort those initial notifications varied; mine was via email by Toshi/Barbara the GPCs), I can tell you that they don't generally send out waitlist notifications. So if acceptances start popping up and you haven't heard anything yet, call the office! Our program admin should be able to tell you about the status of your app :) Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! 

This is super-helpful -- thanks! I hadn't seen any acceptances yet (and it's only early February), so I figured I'd hold off on contacting the department :]

I feel like this is something I really should figure out myself, but is the general advice to visit all places that invite you to an Open House? I'm already panicking about not knowing where I want to go/what places to even visit and I haven't even heard back from most schools I applied to.

15 minutes ago, embeddedV2 said:

I feel like this is something I really should figure out myself, but is the general advice to visit all places that invite you to an Open House? I'm already panicking about not knowing where I want to go/what places to even visit and I haven't even heard back from most schools I applied to.

If you have the time and you can afford it (or you're getting sufficiently reimbursed), you should visit every school that invites you. Even if you don't end up going there, you'll get a chance to meet your POIs in person, as well as students, and those are important connections for the future. Those already attending tend to remember everyone who visits, including students who went to other schools; you'll later see those people again at conferences, and it's always nice to have familiar faces around. It's how you begin to build your network. If you can't go to all the schools (too expensive, too much time off work, etc), then you should make an effort to visit every school that you are seriously considering. Visits can have a serious impact on final decisions; you might discover you actually don't really get along with a POI or a school gives off a bad vibe, or that it turns out you really like the town/environment of a school you weren't seriously considering before (some of those things happened to me, for example). The important thing is to treat each visit seriously, even if you think you've already made up your mind. As long as you are open-minded and excited about your visit, no one will be offended later if you choose to accept another offer.  

Just now, WVE said:

Congrats! Are you the Rutgers post? I just saw it go up this morning

Yes, but I have not heard back from Rutgers yet! I got accepted by Stony Brook! This is the first Ph.D. acceptance in my life, after getting rejected by 12 schools last year! 

Seriously, if you got a dream and you work for it, eventually you will get it!

5 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

Yes, but I have not heard back from Rutgers yet! I got accepted by Stony Brook! This is the first Ph.D. acceptance in my life, after getting rejected by 12 schools last year! 

Congrats!!! You give me hope haha :)

6 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

Congratulations!! I hear stony brook is a great program! I grew up close to there, on Long Island :)

5 minutes ago, vonham said:

Congratulations!! I hear stony brook is a great program! I grew up close to there, on Long Island :)

Yes, they have some great people there who ACTUALLY TEACH AND SUPERVISE!

I learnt from my current program the lesson that having some excellent people in a program is not enough because having them does not necessarily means that they are going to teach and supervise me! Oxford has plenty of great people in terms of qualification, but many of them are merely nominally belonging to the department and they are not even in residence at all and some of them are in residence two weeks PER YEAR (How do these people meet with their D.Phil students? Well, some by email, while some by Skype, very infrequently, and maybe 1-2 hours per term at most.). Among the few who are actually in residence, many of them care much more about their own research than their students, and their negligence is legitimatized statutorily by the almost absolute power endowed on their role as a tutor/supervisor who can "FLEXIBLY" decide how many hours they spend in each student. 

I think Stony Brook is a place where there are great Profs. with excellent qualifications AND with the enthusiasm to ACTUALLY TEACH AND SUPERVISE, partially based on the comments on ratemyprofessor.com. 

FWIW, the Profs. shown up as faculty members on the website of stony brook will be the actual real people I will meet with during my time in the program in the future. I am also very confident that, in a good department in terms of both teaching and research like Stony Brook, I am not going to be taught by ONLY one part-time ADJUNCT for the next five years!

Anyways, I am very happy about what has been offered!

23 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

UCLA and UMich, and then 3 schools in Canada.

I was thinking to apply to U of Alberta in Canada. But I eventually did not, because it looks like that it is not a good academic fit for me.  U of Alberta places more emphasis on empirical and experimental aspects of linguistics. They require applicants to imply in their SOP which language area (s) one wants to work on. This is certainly a reflection of the empirical emphasis of the department. I feel I am more interested in taking linguistic theories as the objects of research, rather than taking theories as instruments for some other ends. 

But Alberta does have a very good funding support for both MA and PHD students. Have u applied to Alberta?

13 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

I was thinking to apply to U of Alberta in Canada. But I eventually did not, because it looks like that it is not a good academic fit for me.  U of Alberta places more emphasis on empirical and experimental aspects of linguistics. They require applicants to imply in their SOP which language area (s) one wants to work on. This is certainly a reflection of the empirical emphasis of the department. I feel I am more interested in taking linguistic theories as the objects of research, rather than taking theories as instruments for some other ends. 

But Alberta does have a very good funding support for both MA and PHD students. Have u applied to Alberta?

No, I didn't apply there. And that's probably out of an unfair bias more than anything. (I really don't want to live in Alberta.)

I hear decent enough things about it though and Canada does have funded MAs and UAlberta is one of the better ones for that. 

2 hours ago, sociologic said:

Hi,

I was accepted to the PhD program at Purdue this week, and I am waitlisted at the University of Oregon. Still waiting on a few more schools, but I am really excited to have (the potential of) an offer!

congratulations! what other schools are you waiting to hear from? 

On 2/3/2016 at 3:22 PM, historicallinguist said:

Ah that scares me! I applied to like 10...I don't want to be rejected from all of them ><

52 minutes ago, MelRel said:

Ah that scares me! I applied to like 10...I don't want to be rejected from all of them ><

10 is a lot! I applied to 6, and I was offered an acceptance! I was a bit concerned at first that I didn't apply to enough places, but I chose to focus only on places that were really good fits. 

17 minutes ago, vonham said:

10 is a lot! I applied to 6, and I was offered an acceptance! I was a bit concerned at first that I didn't apply to enough places, but I chose to focus only on places that were really good fits. 

I applied to two Masters programs. But given that now I have a Ph.D. admission, it looks like I do not need these the acceptance from these two Masters any more.

Before I got my first acceptance, I was expecting the worst, and even planned to get a second master in case no Ph.D. program accepts me.

11 hours ago, vonham said:

congratulations! what other schools are you waiting to hear from? 

Thank you! And congratulations on your acceptance to Arizona!

I'm still waiting for UW-Seattle, UC Davis, CUNY, and Florida. The fact that UW started sending out notices last week was worrying; I still haven't heard anything from them, but I'm hoping "no news is good news" applies right now.