Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

33 minutes ago, cotterw said:

Hey y'all,

I saw some acceptances to U Arizona linguistics on the results page. Just wanted to say congrats from someone who is currently in that department! Hopefully we'll see you all at the visit weekend! 

Hey there! I saw on one of your other posts that you're in the ANLI program. I applied to the ANLI program. Do you happen to know if decisions have been made for this program as well? I sort of assume (hope! since I didn't get an email) that it takes longer because it's a joint program. Thanks!

5 hours ago, vonham said:

Hey there! I saw on one of your other posts that you're in the ANLI program. I applied to the ANLI program. Do you happen to know if decisions have been made for this program as well? I sort of assume (hope! since I didn't get an email) that it takes longer because it's a joint program. Thanks!

Hi!

I'm honestly not sure. They don't really let us know much until they give the grad student organization in the department a list of people who are coming to prospective student weekend, because the grad students largely organize the logistics of the visit weekend. All I can really say about ANLI admissions is that it does have to go through two different departments admissions committees, so it could take longer, but I really don't know. Hopefully you get positive results though!

1 hour ago, cotterw said:

Hi!

I'm honestly not sure. They don't really let us know much until they give the grad student organization in the department a list of people who are coming to prospective student weekend, because the grad students largely organize the logistics of the visit weekend. All I can really say about ANLI admissions is that it does have to go through two different departments admissions committees, so it could take longer, but I really don't know. Hopefully you get positive results though!

Thanks for your response! Yeah it makes sense that it would take longer.  I'm just psyching myself out by spending too much time on gradcafe :P

*fingers crossed* 

13 hours ago, Vowel_Harmonizer said:

So has Chicago sent out their acceptances already? I'm assuming that the Applied Linguistics person on the results page got applied the Linguistics department... but I hope not :mellow:

There is no Applied Linguistics at UChicago, so I'm not sure what that is about... maybe the person that posted that can clarify.

However, as a current student in the linguistics program I can tell you that decisions have been made. Following last year's timeline, I'd say those accepted should hear back (via email) by maybe next Sunday night.

2 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

Oops! Looks like Arizona still sending out recruitment visit invitations!

That was me!!! So excited! I wasn't technically admitted yet.  I'm applying for the joint anthropology and linguistics program. The email said that the admissions process isn't complete but that it's "very likely" that I will be admitted.  

I very nearly had a stroke on the spot. Admissions or not I am just excited to have made it this far! 

26 minutes ago, embeddedV2 said:

Potentially silly question, but does anyone know why Yale isn't ranked that high on those field-specific league tables that we probably shouldn't attribute too much importance to anyway?

I think it probably has a lot to do with the theoretical orientation of Yale. In those olden days in the 1940s-1950s, Yale was a major centre of Structural linguistics. If you look at the the Ph.D.program at Yale on their website, you will find some traces of structural linguistics. For example, quite a number of guys in Yale are doing descriptive grammars of particular languages. Descriptive grammar of particular languages was the central research program within the framework of structural linguistics both in the past and today. That said, Yale does have some people doing some versions of generative grammar. But a large portion of the faculty in Yale linguistics are focusing on language documentation, historical linguistics, variationist linguistics, etc. So, as a theoretical department, Yale is not as theoretical as some other well-known department such as MIT, UCLA, Rutgers, etc. So, this may be why it is ranked particularly high in linguistics ranking. 

48 minutes ago, vonham said:

That was me!!! So excited! I wasn't technically admitted yet.  I'm applying for the joint anthropology and linguistics program. The email said that the admissions process isn't complete but that it's "very likely" that I will be admitted.  

I very nearly had a stroke on the spot. Admissions or not I am just excited to have made it this far! 

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, did they say in the mail how many people were applying and how many people they are planning to take for this year?

5 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, did they say in the mail how many people were applying and how many people they are planning to take for this year?

They didn't :(. But the email made it out to seem like it was an invitation specifically for the ANLI applicants. I'm dying to know how many ANLI people will be admitted/were invited as in the past there's been some small cohorts for the program (only 1 in 2014!). I'll let you know if I get any answers 

1 hour ago, embeddedV2 said:

Potentially silly question, but does anyone know why Yale isn't ranked that high on those field-specific league tables that we probably shouldn't attribute too much importance to anyway?

Beside things already mentioned, it is a very small program (currently 7 faculty, but 6 as of next year, I believe), and it's had some worrisome personnel-related problems over the years, with people leaving and others not getting tenured where they would have been at any other institution. This means that it's hard for them to develop a real strength in any particular area of linguistics. Most subfields are going to have 0-1 person working in that area, and that means that strong students interested in that area are likely to pick another school, where there are more potential advisors and other students working in that area. That said, I think the people there are good and there is a lot of potential. They certainly do a good job training undergraduates who go on to top graduate programs in the field. 

1 hour ago, fuzzylogician said:

Beside things already mentioned, it is a very small program (currently 7 faculty, but 6 as of next year, I believe), and it's had some worrisome personnel-related problems over the years, with people leaving and others not getting tenured where they would have been at any other institution. This means that it's hard for them to develop a real strength in any particular area of linguistics. Most subfields are going to have 0-1 person working in that area, and that means that strong students interested in that area are likely to pick another school, where there are more potential advisors and other students working in that area. That said, I think the people there are good and there is a lot of potential. They certainly do a good job training undergraduates who go on to top graduate programs in the field. 

I think similar situation happens to Northwestern too. The former chair of the linguistics department at Northwestern just moved to Trinity College (oxford) as a professor of research in linguistic engineering (that means her job here is primarily to do research, and occasionally to give out public lectures where she report her progress in her research, and her job here seems to me that it is not primarily for teaching enrolled students)  in Fall 2015.(And I saw her walking on the street four days ago).

Congrats to the UIUC MA acceptance! If you hang around here, would you mind telling me (in pm if you feel more comfortable ) who your POI is, and whether you applied for the MA with intent to continue to PhD, or not? 

53 minutes ago, vonham said:

Congrats to the UIUC MA acceptance! If you hang around here, would you mind telling me (in pm if you feel more comfortable ) who your POI is, and whether you applied for the MA with intent to continue to PhD, or not? 

I am on the same boat here! Congrats to the UIUC MA acceptance!  But My nerve breaks down when I saw it because I heard nothing from UIUC for my M.A. application.

Edited by historicallinguist

19 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

I am on the same boat here! Congrats to the UIUC MA acceptance!  But My nerve breaks down when I saw it because I heard nothing from UIUC for my M.A. application.

Don't mind me, I'll just be here, refreshing my email every 5 minutes or so :P 

12 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

There are two faculty searches currently being conducted, though, which means that the number of faculty will not decrease by next year.

6 hours ago, andumar said:

There are two faculty searches currently being conducted, though, which means that the number of faculty will not decrease by next year.

They are replacing two faculty members but losing three. They do say they hope to hire more in the next few years, for what it's worth. 

Bizarre enough! Nothing comes out from Kansas. I saw at the results page that last year interviews invitations had been sent out by the end of Jan. But as of today, I do not see anything at the result page for Kansas for Fall 2016. Nor do I receive anything from them. Anyone knows what is happening with Kansas?

Edited by historicallinguist