Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

1 hour ago, Iwanttogotothere said:

So...I'm wondering. 

For those schools that do interviews in late January (NYU, UPenn, Austin, etc.) does anyone know if they interview all of their shortlisted candidates? As in, anyone who doesn't get an interview is probably not in the running? I'm sure it varies by school, I'm just wondering if I should start letting myself down easy haha

I applied to NYU and UPENN last year, but did not get in. I am 99 percent sure that if you do not get interview from NYU/UPENN, that means you are out of the competition.

Sorry if this makes you down, but it is just some true stuff to let people know.

7 hours ago, Sora said:

But apparently different subfields have very different timetables for this (as long as they finish interviewing before the faculty meeting), so I guess no need to panic yet!

Thank you for the information!!!!

6 hours ago, wine-ing said:

Who got the invite to University of Michigan? </3

That was one of my top choices.

(Congrats though!) 

same here :( 

Though I'm giving it until Monday to assume the worst. Could be that they didn't send out all the invites yet, or that only certain POIs sent them out. And that the rest will be sent on Monday. 

Don't mind me in my corner of sweet, sweet denial. 

10 hours ago, vonham said:

same here :( 

Though I'm giving it until Monday to assume the worst. Could be that they didn't send out all the invites yet, or that only certain POIs sent them out. And that the rest will be sent on Monday. 

Don't mind me in my corner of sweet, sweet denial. 

Maybe they contacted domestic students first or certain subfields... I'm curious about the POI/subfield of those with the invitations. (But I'm pretty sure my undergrad GPA isn't competitive enough for them anyhow.)

</3

4 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

Maybe they contacted domestic students first or certain subfields... I'm curious about the POI/subfield of those with the invitations. (But I'm pretty sure my undergrad GPA isn't competitive enough for them anyhow.)

</3

Not sure if it will help or hurt to know, but I'm one of the short-listed postings. My POI is Pam Beddor, so hopefully that can give you some hope! I'm not sure how many they're planning on contacting or when different professors are contacting though.

2 hours ago, NoontimeDreamer said:

Not sure if it will help or hurt to know, but I'm one of the short-listed postings. My POI is Pam Beddor, so hopefully that can give you some hope! I'm not sure how many they're planning on contacting or when different professors are contacting though.

That definitely makes it a little worse, but I'm happy for you. It's a great program. (Though, I'm consoling myself by telling myself that I didn't really want to move to/live in Michigan...)

Did the email say anything about the number of applicants this year?

3 hours ago, wine-ing said:

That definitely makes it a little worse, but I'm happy for you. It's a great program. (Though, I'm consoling myself by telling myself that I didn't really want to move to/live in Michigan...)

Did the email say anything about the number of applicants this year?

No such luck, sorry :3

14 hours ago, NoontimeDreamer said:

15 hours ago, wine-ing said:

</3

Technically I am a domestic student (cuz I have American citizenship) :( so I'm still hoping that it's a matter of certain subfields. And Pam Beddor is not my POI, so that gives me a teensy bit of hope. 

Haven't heard from ANY school yet, but I guess I've been rejected by NYU and probably Maryland since they've been sending out requests for interviews for days :( Checking those results posts (as frequently as I'm doing right now) makes me feel even worse...

9 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

Any one heard back from Kansas/Stony Brook?????

Hey, from what I know the adm. committee here at Stony Brook is still discussing applications, so I doubt you guys will be hearing back from them before the beginning of February - unless your POI wants to have a chat/informal interview with you, that is.

15 hours ago, Garyon said:

Hey, from what I know the adm. committee here at Stony Brook is still discussing applications, so I doubt you guys will be hearing back from them before the beginning of February - unless your POI wants to have a chat/informal interview with you, that is.

I saw a Stony BROOK result just came out a moment ago. That makes me quite worried.

8 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

I saw a Stony BROOK result just came out a moment ago. That makes me quite worried.

Oh, that's soon! Sorry for the wrong info then. I spoke to my advisors a couple of days ago and he told me they were still discussing stuff.Last year they didn't send them all at once so keep your finger crossed.

Can I ask you who do you want to work with here (even via pm if you want). I am curious 'cuz we don't have many historical guys here.

soooo....if someone got waitlisted to UIUC does that mean that they've sent out all their decisions? because so far there's been that one acceptance and that's it. 

If the person who's gotten waitlisted sees this, who is your POI? And did you have some sort of skype interview?

arghhhhh!!! ~anxiety~

19 hours ago, vonham said:

soooo....if someone got waitlisted to UIUC does that mean that they've sent out all their decisions? because so far there's been that one acceptance and that's it. 

If the person who's gotten waitlisted sees this, who is your POI? And did you have some sort of skype interview?

arghhhhh!!! ~anxiety~

I applied to the MA program at UIUC, and I got no news from them.

1 hour ago, historicallinguist said:

I applied to the MA program at UIUC, and I got no news from them.

I also applied to the MA (with intent to continue to phd)  so I wonder...a couple of more acceptances/wait lists have been added but all for the PhD. Then again it could be that it is people who applied for MA with intent to pursue phd who just listed it as phd instead of MA. 

Either way, I'm sort of freaking out. I really am starting to panic and think I won't get in anywhere :(

1 minute ago, vonham said:

I also applied to the MA (with intent to continue to phd)  so I wonder...a couple of more acceptances/wait lists have been added but all for the PhD. Then again it could be that it is people who applied for MA with intent to pursue phd who just listed it as phd instead of MA. 

Either way, I'm sort of freaking out. I really am starting to panic and think I won't get in anywhere :(

Dude, I am freaking out too! I also applied to Stony Brook's Ph.D., and I have already seen two acceptance from Brook in the result page. And I haven't heard a thing from Brook. 

I do not think UIUC offer M.A. acceptance first. I think they first give out Ph.D. offers, and then M.A. offers. Well, I do not have any evidence to tell either way, but I just think this is the likely order in terms of funding offer. I am told that they are intended to fully fund some MA students, and from the website, they say their first priority is to fund Ph.D. student. So, the order should be Ph.D. first (presumably with funding), then MA with funding, and finally MA. with no funding.

By the way, I saw you are applying to Arizona.  I am also applying to Arizona (OT Phonology and Syntax). Would you mind to tell me which Profs are your POIs, and which areas are you applying to? You can PM me if you wish.

On 1/27/2016 at 7:26 PM, Evelyn_Z said:

Haven't heard from ANY school yet, but I guess I've been rejected by NYU and probably Maryland since they've been sending out requests for interviews for days :( Checking those results posts (as frequently as I'm doing right now) makes me feel even worse...

Same here man!

I applied to UPenn and well hearing that there's interviews for people out already doesn't bode well....

I haven't heard from NYU neither, but I saw some people posted a rejection... was that a rejection email? or was it just an assumtion?  I don't know what to think.

I had an interview with Penn, and still waiting for some news from the majority of the universities I've applied.

3 minutes ago, laura.st said:

I haven't heard from NYU neither, but I saw some people posted a rejection... was that a rejection email? or was it just an assumtion?  I don't know what to think.

I had an interview with Penn, and still waiting for some news from the majority of the universities I've applied.

I applied to NYU last year but I did not get in. Last year, it takes ages for NYU to actually send me a formal rej.

5 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

I applied to NYU last year but I did not get in. Last year, it takes ages for NYU to actually send me a formal rej.

Thanks! Good to know. I can let it go now.

4 hours ago, laura.st said:

Most likely, those were posted by people who interviewed with our department, but didn't make the final cut, so they got unofficial notificaitons about rejection from faculty members they interviewed with.