Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

3 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

Congrats! Have you also heard back from MIT?

NOT yet! but it's probably a rejection. too sad!! I

have also rejected from UConn and apparently from NYU! I don't think I get in anywhere this year :(

51 minutes ago, zahraamir said:

NOT yet! but it's probably a rejection. too sad!! I

have also rejected from UConn and apparently from NYU! I don't think I get in anywhere this year :(

I totally understand how you feel! I was rejected by 12 schools last year which include NYU and MIT. I just feel very sad, when I think about the miserable fact that it is likely that I just won't have the chance to attend MIT for the rest of my life. 

Edited by historicallinguist

44 minutes ago, intheriver said:

Has anyone heard back from Maryland?

I had an informal interview with POI, but no feedback since then. I saw someone was invited to the Open House last week. I guess it's not the good news to me. :(

Someone from Maryland told me the decisions have been made...I don't know if it's just my specialization tho..

2 minutes ago, Sora said:

Congrats to folks got into MIT!! My application to MIT was nipped in the bud when one of my referees actually refused to write me LOR for MIT lol...

Are you serious? Normally referee won't refuse to write letter for a particular school. One of my referees is not particularly in favor of me, but he submitted his letter to MIT(maybe a bad one though)

Just now, historicallinguist said:

Are you serious? Normally referee won't refuse to write letter for a particular school. One of my referees is not particularly in favor of me, but he submitted his letter to MIT(maybe a bad one though)

Yes I was quite surprised as well cos he's perfectly fine with other schools I've proposed (like UCLA, UMass) and I know he wrote me good letters for those schools...I guess it had something to do with the fact he actually went to MIT

7 minutes ago, Sora said:

Yes I was quite surprised as well cos he's perfectly fine with other schools I've proposed (like UCLA, UMass) and I know he wrote me good letters for those schools...I guess it had something to do with the fact he actually went to MIT

I am kind of having an idea who your referee is. Let's talk over PM.

Edited by historicallinguist

2 hours ago, Sora said:

Someone from Maryland told me the decisions have been made...I don't know if it's just my specialization tho..

I emailed one of my POIs at Maryland to ask about the open house decisions since I'm trying to piece together a trip to the east coast to visit other schools where I've been accepted and he said that their open house invites have all been sent out, but the not getting an open house invite isn't a solid rejection.

I'm assuming what happens is that in the event that either things don't go well for some people at the open house or people who attend the open house accept offers of admission elsewhere, other people who they interviewed could, in theory, be given offers or at least put on the waitlist. To me, it seems like a long shot that that would happen, but it's a possibility.  

2 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

I emailed one of my POIs at Maryland to ask about the open house decisions since I'm trying to piece together a trip to the east coast to visit other schools where I've been accepted and he said that their open house invites have all been sent out, but the not getting an open house invite isn't a solid rejection.

I'm assuming what happens is that in the event that either things don't go well for some people at the open house or people who attend the open house accept offers of admission elsewhere, other people who they interviewed could, in theory, be given offers or at least put on the waitlist. To me, it seems like a long shot that that would happen, but it's a possibility.  

Thank you tonedeaf! I do hope they can send out the decision quickly. I got the rejection on 4/10 two years ago. Haha...

12 hours ago, canaan.breiss said:

Hmm, when did you hear about that? And what's your specialization? haha

A few days ago and my POIs are phonology/acquisition people.

(Just to clarify I meant decisions on open house invites and tonedeaf's post may be more accurately since it's from faculty)

31 minutes ago, embeddedV2 said:

Ooooh, I see. Fingers crossed you get in, there must be precedence for that, otherwise why would they even have a wait-list? In any case, congrats :)

Thank you! It's my life-time dream!! I really hope there would be someone choosing another school, UCLA or Harvard for example, over MIT!

Edited by zahraamir

4 hours ago, zahraamir said:

Have you ever seen anybody who has been accepted off the wait-list from MIT?! Who on the earth may decline an offer from MIT?!

Yes, it does happen some years. (Not very often but not never.) I can definitely think of people who chose e.g. Harvard, NYU, UCSC, and UCLA over MIT. They had all kinds of considerations and in all cases I know of, these people were happy with their choice (and I am sure they would have been happy at MIT, too. At that point you're choosing between two very good options!).

8 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Yes, it does happen some years. (Not very often but not never.) I can definitely think of people who chose e.g. Harvard, NYU, UCSC, and UCLA over MIT. They had all kinds of considerations and in all cases I know of, these people were happy with their choice (and I am sure they would have been happy at MIT, too. At that point you're choosing between two very good options!).

Thank you! this gives me hope!