2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

For those who have been invited to Weill Cornell visit Jan 20-22:

Has anyone gotten word on an alternative interview date?  Or has anyone who accepted the Jan 20-22 interview received info on travel arrangements yet? 

1 hour ago, Earl said:

For those who have been invited to Weill Cornell visit Jan 20-22:

Has anyone gotten word on an alternative interview date?  Or has anyone who accepted the Jan 20-22 interview received info on travel arrangements yet? 

No word on an alternative date. I emailed to ask about travel arrangements and they said we will be contacted after the 4th. 

On 12/23/2015 at 9:40 PM, YouCantBcereus said:

Every time I get an email notification I rush to my phone like a crazy person, even though I know there's next to no chance I'll hear anything until after new years by this point. I'm dying to hear back from UNC and Emory at this point <_< 

I applied to BU's pharmacology and haven't heard back yet.

- Johnny

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question, but I have a quick question about dress codes. Obviously the day with the interviews the dress is business casual, but for the other days that include more of the social events or the tours, is that also business casual, or more just casual while still looking decent? Also, all of them say dress nice but wear comfortable shoes.. which at least for women is a difficult thing to achieve at the same time. Any ideas?

28 minutes ago, Metbio2016 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question, but I have a quick question about dress codes. Obviously the day with the interviews the dress is business casual, but for the other days that include more of the social events or the tours, is that also business casual, or more just casual while still looking decent? Also, all of them say dress nice but wear comfortable shoes.. which at least for women is a difficult thing to achieve at the same time. Any ideas?

There are a couple threads from previous years here in the Biology forum about interview dress codes. There are also some threads in the Interviews forum.

1 hour ago, Metbio2016 said:

I personally dressed more formally interview day (not business formal... but definitely much nicer than business casual) with comfortable low-heeled boots; they go awesome with dress slacks. I personally avoid skirts for things like that. Then I went business casual (nice khakis and appropriate blouse) for all other events. I did not wear jeans or tennis shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking at all times, including the social events. Some programs will take you out and show you where the students live or show a walking commute to school, so just have comfortable shoes that goes with every outfit.

You can find some more details here. including dress code: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/blogs/entry/452-all-about-interviews-experiences-for-the-gc-minions/

2 hours ago, Metbio2016 said:

Interviews can be business casual to business (suits are not unseen) that largely depends on the location and personality of the school.  Social events/tours IMO are still business casual.  Try to avoid jeans is what I think it comes down to.  If it is just grad students I think you can get away with a nice pair of dark jeans but I never saw someone wearing jeans and tennis shoes ever.  Remember you are trying to put your best foot forward, so although PIs and grad students will be much more casual, it doesn't mean you don't need to still try.  Comfortable shoes for women depends on your level of comfort.  I wore heels for all of my interviews.  For snowy/cold locations you can get heels that are booties too.  For the non-interview days (and that was my personal preference) just wear a nice shoe.  Flats, boots, just not tennis shoes.  I am comfortable walking in heels at long distances, if you are not I would not recommend wearing heels, I'm just stubborn but I also didn't have issues with heels and kept up just fine, no discomfort etc.  If its colder I'd go nice pair of boots for women there should be plenty available.

for those who were contacted by NYU neuro for an interview and who filled out the form, has anybody gotten any kind of follow-up confirmation about their travel itinerary/ interview date? It may be too early but i haven't received any follow-up?

thanks everyone & happy new years!

21 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

for those who were contacted by NYU neuro for an interview and who filled out the form, has anybody gotten any kind of follow-up confirmation about their travel itinerary/ interview date? It may be too early but i haven't received any follow-up?

thanks everyone & happy new years!

I haven't either but the coordinator said she would be away for the holidays so we'll probably hear something soon.

For those that have received interviews from Scripps, what research areas are you interested in? I haven't heard back from them yet, but I heard they will be sending out invitation until Jan 9th.

I also haven't heard from UC- Berkeley's Micro program, but there interviews are at the end of January, so I think at this point I should assume rejection.

I received a rejection from UW-madison's CMB program, but I have also applied to their Micro program and haven't received a reply. 

I have also seen a lot of posts about UW-Seattle's immuno program, but I haven't heard anything about the micro program. Has anyone heard anything.

I've had two invitations from Yale BBS and UPenn CAMB, so I'm trying to tell myself I will probably get another interview, but I'm starting to worry a little bit.

33 minutes ago, ms.cdc said:

For those that have received interviews from Scripps, what research areas are you interested in? I haven't heard back from them yet, but I heard they will be sending out invitation until Jan 9th.

I also haven't heard from UC- Berkeley's Micro program, but there interviews are at the end of January, so I think at this point I should assume rejection.

I received a rejection from UW-madison's CMB program, but I have also applied to their Micro program and haven't received a reply. 

I have also seen a lot of posts about UW-Seattle's immuno program, but I haven't heard anything about the micro program. Has anyone heard anything.

I've had two invitations from Yale BBS and UPenn CAMB, so I'm trying to tell myself I will probably get another interview, but I'm starting to worry a little bit.

1. Genetics/genomics 

2. Molecular biology

3. Cell biology. 

Good luck and congrats on the invites you have relieved so far!

1 hour ago, peachypie said:

Interviews can be business casual to business (suits are not unseen) that largely depends on the location and personality of the school.  Social events/tours IMO are still business casual.  Try to avoid jeans is what I think it comes down to.  If it is just grad students I think you can get away with a nice pair of dark jeans but I never saw someone wearing jeans and tennis shoes ever.  Remember you are trying to put your best foot forward, so although PIs and grad students will be much more casual, it doesn't mean you don't need to still try.  Comfortable shoes for women depends on your level of comfort.  I wore heels for all of my interviews.  For snowy/cold locations you can get heels that are booties too.  For the non-interview days (and that was my personal preference) just wear a nice shoe.  Flats, boots, just not tennis shoes.  I am comfortable walking in heels at long distances, if you are not I would not recommend wearing heels, I'm just stubborn but I also didn't have issues with heels and kept up just fine, no discomfort etc.  If its colder I'd go nice pair of boots for women there should be plenty available.

Depends on the program though. I could be wrong but you can dress casually for the interviews at Berkely MCB. Some schools are very formal though.

1 hour ago, peachypie said:

Thanks for the advice!  I am definitely not wearing heels because I am not even comfortable walking short distances in them :). For cold locations, do you think nice sweaters would be appropriate?  With nice pants?  I am not really a dress/skirt person. Thanks

Just now, biosci said:

Thanks for the advice!  I am definitely not wearing heels because I am not even comfortable walking short distances in them :). For cold locations, do you think nice sweaters would be appropriate?  With nice pants?  I am not really a dress/skirt person. Thanks

Yes! And a ginormous coat! It will be freezing when you are at Wisconsin etc. I would bring gloves if you have them and maybe a scarf. Its better to be safe than frostbitten!

4 minutes ago, ilovelab said:

Yes! And a ginormous coat! It will be freezing when you are at Wisconsin etc. I would bring gloves if you have them and maybe a scarf. Its better to be safe than frostbitten!

Great!  Thanks. California weather has spoiled me...

31 minutes ago, RaganSmash said:

I still haven't heard a damn thing from UW Immunology and a bunch of rejections went out on Friday. About to pull out my damn hair.

No news is good news. probably..

1 hour ago, RaganSmash said:

I still haven't heard a damn thing from UW Immunology and a bunch of rejections went out on Friday. About to pull out my damn hair.

Same here. I was expecting to receive that rejection email earlier in the week. I'm crossing my fingers that I made some sort of waitlist.

1 hour ago, RaganSmash said:

I still haven't heard a damn thing from UW Immunology and a bunch of rejections went out on Friday. 

I am in the same situation as you, and I am also a Seattle local. I have been wondering if they have kept a list of Seattle applicants wait listed, because if there are some people who drop out, we are much easier to pull in for a last minute interview. Since they don't have to book flights for us, there isn't a financial incentive for them to get back to us. 

I might be grasping at straws, but it has put me at ease to think of it like this. Hope it helps you too 

10 hours ago, Torbjornen said:

I am in the same situation as you, and I am also a Seattle local. I have been wondering if they have kept a list of Seattle applicants wait listed, because if there are some people who drop out, we are much easier to pull in for a last minute interview. Since they don't have to book flights for us, there isn't a financial incentive for them to get back to us. 

I might be grasping at straws, but it has put me at ease to think of it like this. Hope it helps you too 

The same thing has actually crossed my mind too, and Focus also lives in the Pacific Northwest so you may be right about it being a local thing. Tempted to contact them again today since she last told me everyone would know their status by the end of December. But to be blunt, now that I see there are at least three of us on here in this position I feel a bit worse about each of our chances.

Edited by RaganSmash