MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

If I don't get in this round, It'll be a pain to have to do all the application materials next year but... I am most not looking forward to bugging my professors each year, I feel bad, its work for them to have to write the letters. To anyone who has done this for multiple years, how to approach them again?

If I don't get in this round, It'll be a pain to have to do all the application materials next year but... I am most not looking forward to bugging my professors each year, I feel bad, its work for them to have to write the letters. To anyone who has done this for multiple years, how to approach them again?

If you don't get in, I would email contact them shortly afterwards letting them know. I would tell them that you plan to apply again next year and would it be okay to contact them again to provide letters for you. Thank them very much for doing so in the first place of course. It shouldn't be that much work. My recommender had saved the letter as a word document and all she had to do was change the date. Professors are used to doing these kind of letters. Contact them well in advance next season if you have to.

It's early yet so you may not have to worry about it! All the best to you!

Edited by ideaperson
forgot quote

Sadly I might have to drop Yale :(....they don't offer a application fee waivers, all my other schools have waive my app fee. Maybe somehow I'll be bless with a extra $100.00 from now into the Yale deadline in early Jan. Doesn't Yale have like an billion dollar endowment-- I'm so confused.... 

Added UCLA to the list,  really like some of their faculty and alumni, their application is also pretty straight forward and I can apply for a fee waiver!! Currently looking around to add another school to replace Yale. (Close to New York) Now I'm looking further into schools like Tyler, Cornell, Rutgers...

Tomorrow I'll be re documenting my work with a fancy camera and finishing my MFA artist statement. I'll be done with my application before the New Years, so If anyone want to do a artist statement exchange, inbox me!!! 

Edited by AKW94

Hi everyone,

I'm working on finishing up applications as most of mine are due at the beginning and middle of January. I've noticed on a lot of them I'm asked whether or not I want to waive my rights to view my letters of recommendation. Does anyone know the reason for this?

1 hour ago, nikcav said:

Hi everyone,

I'm working on finishing up applications as most of mine are due at the beginning and middle of January. I've noticed on a lot of them I'm asked whether or not I want to waive my rights to view my letters of recommendation. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, you have the right, once you're enrolled, to view the letters of recommendation that were submitted on your behalf when you applied. However, you can indicate up front that you irrevocably waive that right.

In theory, waiving your rights encourages your recommenders to be completely candid with the admissions staff. Your recommenders can write knowing the contents of their letters will remain confidential, and the admissions committee might therefore ascribe more weight to the statements in those letters. (Meaning, if your recommender wrote the letter knowing that you might see the contents later on, s/he might not tell the whole story, perhaps so as not to hurt your feelings or the like -- and the committee sees whether you waived or not.)

I personally see no reason not to waive. Once you're in, you're in -- why would you need to see what someone wrote about you to get you there? (If you don't get in, you can't see the letters anyways, since they're only available when you've enrolled.) And, generally speaking, negative recommendation letters are pretty rare, assuming you picked your recommenders decently well. 

15 hours ago, Relm said:

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, you have the right, once you're enrolled, to view the letters of recommendation that were submitted on your behalf when you applied. However, you can indicate up front that you irrevocably waive that right.

In theory, waiving your rights encourages your recommenders to be completely candid with the admissions staff. Your recommenders can write knowing the contents of their letters will remain confidential, and the admissions committee might therefore ascribe more weight to the statements in those letters. (Meaning, if your recommender wrote the letter knowing that you might see the contents later on, s/he might not tell the whole story, perhaps so as not to hurt your feelings or the like -- and the committee sees whether you waived or not.)

I personally see no reason not to waive. Once you're in, you're in -- why would you need to see what someone wrote about you to get you there? (If you don't get in, you can't see the letters anyways, since they're only available when you've enrolled.) And, generally speaking, negative recommendation letters are pretty rare, assuming you picked your recommenders decently well. 

Thank you! I assumed it was something like that, so I have been choosing to waive. But thanks for clarifying for me!

On 12/21/2015 at 9:38 PM, Dogss said:

Most of application systems keep the letters from a year to another. 

Hey all! Hope applications are going swimmingly. Has anyone answered the yale video question in their application? very strange... Makes me think of the legally blonde application video.  Just wondering what to expect before I click it.  

Iam thinking of applying to SIU and Portland State University. Has anyone Heard about Southern Illinois University? I heard they offer decent funding. 

On 12/23/2015 at 5:08 PM, Relm said:

I sure hope that my acceptance to a school wouldn't ride on if I waived my right to view my own letter of recommendation, that's essentially is all about me. If the admission committees does consider the significants of a rec letter base on if it was waived or not, then I would hope they would state this risk somewhere.  Checking with the school admission team might be best if you are really worried.  

On the Yale application it says the following; The Family Educational and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) allows you to access your Educational records if you enroll at YALE SCHOOL OF ART. You may waive your right of access to this specific report if you so choose. Your decision to waive or not to waive your right of access has no bearing on the handling of your application.

9 hours ago, Susan12 said:

Quick question. For people who are using slideroom did you add additional details explaining the work or just upload it? Thanks! Also I'm applying to painting if that changes your answers.

I only uploaded the work. My schools either asked me to provide an artist statement, or if they didn't mention one, I included a bit about my work in the statement of intent. My work is photo, but I don't really think that makes a difference.

Also, despite being nervous and anxious, is anyone else really excited to start hearing back from schools? Or am I just really lame and entirely too optimistic since this is my first time applying?

1 hour ago, nikcav said:

I only uploaded the work. My schools either asked me to provide an artist statement, or if they didn't mention one, I included a bit about my work in the statement of intent. My work is photo, but I don't really think that makes a difference.

Also, despite being nervous and anxious, is anyone else really excited to start hearing back from schools? Or am I just really lame and entirely too optimistic since this is my first time applying?

I did the same as you in regards to writing about my work in my SOP. 

I am very excited! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I closed out 2015 with a few career highs so I'm feeling confident. I'm really happy with the work I'm submitting and my statements too. Anyway, we shall see in a month or two!

11 hours ago, AKW94 said:

I sure hope that my acceptance to a school wouldn't ride on if I waived my right to view my own letter of recommendation, that's essentially is all about me. If the admission committees does consider the significants of a rec letter base on if it was waived or not, then I would hope they would state this risk somewhere.  Checking with the school admission team might be best if you are really worried.  

On the Yale application it says the following; The Family Educational and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) allows you to access your Educational records if you enroll at YALE SCHOOL OF ART. You may waive your right of access to this specific report if you so choose. Your decision to waive or not to waive your right of access has no bearing on the handling of your application.

Hence the "in theory" qualifier, and using "might" instead of "will" in my original reply. 

Personally, I'd rather not give anyone any reason to doubt any part of my application, if it's within my control. But either decision is perfectly rational.

How are your applications going? Where are you applying? My list is:

Yale, Mass Art, SMFA, BU, RISD, Tyler, Carnegie, SAIC, Rutgers, UT Austin, UCLA, CCA, SFAI

How much weight does the resume have? 

Edited by Laceybug

20 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

I did the same as you in regards to writing about my work in my SOP. 

I am very excited! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I closed out 2015 with a few career highs so I'm feeling confident. I'm really happy with the work I'm submitting and my statements too. Anyway, we shall see in a month or two!

I've not seen your work nor have I read your statements, but you presence on this forum and your generosity, sharing useful information, lead me to believe that you are an exceptional candidate. Surely you will have a difficult time choosing from the multiple offers you will receive. 

Edited by MrBixler

Anyone on here currently attending or have first-hand knowledge of the following programs: Ohio State, UChicago, Northwestern, UMichigan, Claremont, UI-Chicago?

Also, besides the obvious questions about funding and/or teaching opportunities, what other kinds of questions are people asking their interviewers about the program?

On 1/1/2016 at 8:05 AM, paint_and_destroy said:

Hey all! Hope applications are going swimmingly. Has anyone answered the yale video question in their application? very strange... Makes me think of the legally blonde application video.  Just wondering what to expect before I click it.  

Just wondering... What is this video about?

Laceybug, that's a good list! I'm also considering adding SMFA to my applications last minute. Do you happen to know if they offer any funding? I'm canadian and absolutely can't afford to go into debt for my MFA so I'm only applying to programs which have a strong possibility of funding. 

This is my list...

Oxford, SUNY Buffalo, NorthWestern, Guelph, Simon Fraser university. 

I'm also considering applying to the Video Art program at Syracuse. I'm a bit weary about applying to a program that just focuses on one subject since I work with photography and video. Does anyone have any insight on this program?

I'm not really loving making these last minute decisions but I keep thinking I should apply to more.

Any statement of purpose pointers?

In case anyone is curious here is a link my work: meganmoore.ca

5 hours ago, tynnifer said:

Laceybug, that's a good list! I'm also considering adding SMFA to my applications last minute. Do you happen to know if they offer any funding? I'm canadian and absolutely can't afford to go into debt for my MFA so I'm only applying to programs which have a strong possibility of funding. 

This is my list...

Oxford, SUNY Buffalo, NorthWestern, Guelph, Simon Fraser university. 

I'm also considering applying to the Video Art program at Syracuse. I'm a bit weary about applying to a program that just focuses on one subject since I work with photography and video. Does anyone have any insight on this program?

I'm not really loving making these last minute decisions but I keep thinking I should apply to more.

Any statement of purpose pointers?

In case anyone is curious here is a link my work: meganmoore.ca

You might consider USF. Don't worry too much about your statment of purpose. Your work is what counts.I sent you a PM. Check your inboox. Good luck!

Hi everyone.

I couldnt submit my application at Yale because an error on the system. First I had it with the video, and now with the portfolio, which I uploaded it twice. Anyone with a similar case?

Best

You have one or more items in your portfolio that have not yet completed processing.