MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Finishing up all my applications today and I just realized I had one single, small typo in three of my letters...I somehow wrote "identity" instead of "identify." I have NO idea when that happened...I had two people review my statements and they didn't notice and I proofed it so many times. So, maybe it won't be such a big deal? I'm inclined to think it won't since I feel the rest of my application is solid.

What's everyone's backup plan if you don't get in this year? Reapply next year? Are any of you applying for residencies? I'm doing VSC for two weeks in February (I know it's a weird time to do it with all the grad school stuff happening---I completely blanked on the fact that I might be asked to interview during that time or soon after--skype all the way!!). I also applied to Skowhegan, Art Omi, Millay, some local project grants. Will apply to a few others soon since deadlines are fast approaching. Trying to keep busy just in case for some unfortunate reason I don't get in anywhere, I've got other things in the pipeline. 

5 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Finishing up all my applications today and I just realized I had one single, small typo in three of my letters...I somehow wrote "identity" instead of "identify." I have NO idea when that happened...I had two people review my statements and they didn't notice and I proofed it so many times. So, maybe it won't be such a big deal? I'm inclined to think it won't since I feel the rest of my application is solid.

What's everyone's backup plan if you don't get in this year? Reapply next year? Are any of you applying for residencies? I'm doing VSC for two weeks in February (I know it's a weird time to do it with all the grad school stuff happening---I completely blanked on the fact that I might be asked to interview during that time or soon after--skype all the way!!). I also applied to Skowhegan, Art Omi, Millay, some local project grants. Will apply to a few others soon since deadlines are fast approaching. Trying to keep busy just in case for some unfortunate reason I don't get in anywhere, I've got other things in the pipeline. 

yes I am applying to residencies as backup plan as well, mostly those stipend ones in europe.

I have been rej by van eyck already, but worth trying again next year, here is their link: http://www.janvaneyck.nl/en/programma/aanmelden/

also check out rijksakaemie as well: http://rijksakademie.nl/ENG/residency/aanmelden/ 

these two are highly competitive as well

I think I am going to have a heart attack but I just finished a ten-minute phone interview with OSU. I think I did okay, and hopefully I did not sound like I was going to cry. There's no vomiting emoji on this message board or I would post it here.

They said their process is pretty quick and that I would head "something" fairly soon. So now to wait and panic while wrapping up my final few applications.

4 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

I think I am going to have a heart attack but I just finished a ten-minute phone interview with OSU. I think I did okay, and hopefully I did not sound like I was going to cry. There's no vomiting emoji on this message board or I would post it here.

They said their process is pretty quick and that I would head "something" fairly soon. So now to wait and panic while wrapping up my final few applications.

Congratulations!

10 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

My plan is if it doesn't work out this year then I'm going to try again next year. 

Sooo, question...

When we do hear back from schools about having interviews, is it more common for them to call you to set that up or to just receive an email about it?

9 hours ago, looingk said:

My plan is if it doesn't work out this year then I'm going to try again next year. 

Same here. This is my first year applying to MFA programs so I do not know what to expect. I can only guess how my work stacks up, and part of me doubts I will make it. I come from such a small unknown liberal arts college, have done no residencies, and my gallery representation is very modest. I'm happy with my work, but I wonder how relevant it is in the grand scheme of things.

I hope I can take disappointment if it does happen. I hope I can keep my head up, and realize that if I don't get in, my applications can only improve because this is still a valuable learning experience in itself. I just have this horrible tendency to get my hopes up, I don't want to get crushed under any feelings that may crop up.

Edited by Dogss
spelling

27 minutes ago, nikcav said:

Sooo, question...

When we do hear back from schools about having interviews, is it more common for them to call you to set that up or to just receive an email about it?

Depends on the school. Some are as early as mid-January, some notify you in February/early March. Some don't interview at all! Same thing in terms of how they contact you, depends on the school. Search for the schools you applied to in last year's Freakout and you can kind of get a timeline for when you might hear based off what people experienced last year. 

3 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Depends on the school. Some are as early as mid-January, some notify you in February/early March. Some don't interview at all! Same thing in terms of how they contact you, depends on the school. Search for the schools you applied to in last year's Freakout and you can kind of get a timeline for when you might hear based off what people experienced last year. 

People also posted their results at this link which makes it easier to find for future applicants who might not read the old freakout threads which get pretty long. Posting both places would be a good idea. Some put their results in their signature as well.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

7 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

2 minutes ago, ideaperson said:

People also posted their results at this link which makes it easier to find for future applicants who might not read the old freakout threads which get pretty long. Posting both places would be a good idea. Some put their results in their signature as well.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Thank you!!

UChicago Interview!!! 

but....it's when I'll be in Vermont....ARGGGGGHHHH!!

And the interviews are all day affairs....I guess I'll be flying out. Kicking myself for scheduling a residency in February--so freaking stupid. 

Edited by cpw0021

1 hour ago, cpw0021 said:

UChicago Interview!!! 

And the interviews are all day affairs....I guess I'll be flying out. Kicking myself for scheduling a residency in February--so freaking stupid. 

congrats cpw0021! did you receive the request through email?

1 minute ago, untitledforhim said:

congrats cpw0021! did you receive the request through email?

Thanks! 

Yes, they sent them out this morning. Apparently there are 31 finalists and they will choose 8. 

24 minutes ago, dryheat said:

UChicago interview invite here as well. I was definitely not expecting to start hearing back so soon!

yay! Congrats!

I just found out I can do a skype interview, so my mini freak-out has subsided. 

A few days ago I started sifting through last year's freakout topic to see when people heard about interviews and realized UChicago would be sending out requests this week--needless to say, I haven't slept much for the past few days. I'm so relieved! 

EDIT--Oh wait, did you interview with them last year, dryheat? What other schools are you applying to? 

Edited by cpw0021

24 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

yay! Congrats!

I just found out I can do a skype interview, so my mini freak-out has subsided. 

A few days ago I started sifting through last year's freakout topic to see when people heard about interviews and realized UChicago would be sending out requests this week--needless to say, I haven't slept much for the past few days. I'm so relieved! 

EDIT--Oh wait, did you interview with them last year, dryheat? What other schools are you applying to? 

yep, I did, but they were even earlier in sending out notifications this year. they are the only school that i applied to last year that i'm re-applying to, the others being northwestern, ohio state, umichigan, and ui-chicago. how about you?

23 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Congratulations!

3 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

UChicago Interview!!! 

Congratulations and good luck!!!

1 hour ago, dryheat said:

yep, I did, but they were even earlier in sending out notifications this year. they are the only school that i applied to last year that i'm re-applying to, the others being northwestern, ohio state, umichigan, and ui-chicago. how about you?

I'm applying to Northwestern, Rutgers, Columbia, Yale, UCLA, UC-Irvine, SAIC, CalArts. 

8 minutes ago, casser0le said:

Congrats on the interview!  Are you applying for painting?  I'd love to see your work!

Thanks!!

Nope, not a painter. I do installation, photography with text, some sound work and starting to do more with video. I already have a masters degree (in art history) so I'm very research focused, which is why I'm mostly interested in schools with strong research universities. 

PM me, I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :)  

Where are you applying to?