MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

19 hours ago, atinyspark said:

Is it my imagination, or are far fewer people applying to Hunter, Bard and Carnegie Mellon this year?

It does seem that way!  Maybe those groups of people just aren't posting.  It's definitely hard to imagine people losing interest in those programs... but maybe because they are so competitive some people are opting out and using their app money on other less competitive schools?  I kind of doubt it, I expect that people are applying and being quiet. 

20 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Anyone know of any interdisciplinary programs still accepting applications?

I'm hoping to add one last program to my list. Thank you! 

NYU's deadline is February 1st. You've time, if you're interested. I'm sure others know of a few more. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

Interdisciplinary as in attached to a university where you'd have access to other departments, or interdisciplinary as in you're encouraged to work in all sorts of media?

If the latter, SFAI takes applications basically until the academic year starts. (I've been on their mailing list for a year and change, and I kept getting emails saying "It's not too late!" through last August.) I know someone who applied last April or May and got in with a full ride. She loves it. The recent SFAI grads I've talked to have told me that once you're in, you're in, and you can experiment and use whatever media you want, basically -- the departments are definitely not airtight.

16 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Rutgers is non-disciplinary specific and their deadline is February 1st (you'd definitely want to hurry, though, because you have to fill out the graduate application first and then they send you the supplementary application a few days later).

University of Delaware has a later deadline as well: February 15th. If I remember correctly from visiting, they have separate studio areas but I don't think it's a very strict thing. Their focus is more on making sure you end up with a good studio for the type of work you're making (ie painting studios have nice natural light, sculpture studios are bigger and closer to the shop areas, etc). They also have great funding (tuition waiver and approx. 18k teaching stipend for all incoming grads, with possible 18k merit-based fellowships) so they are definitely worth checking out.

17 hours ago, hypoart said:

Thank you for letting me know! :) I looked at its website, but I can't tell if students are able to enroll in other departments' courses. Would you know, by any chance?  

17 hours ago, ideaperson said:

Thank you for the link! 

16 hours ago, Relm said:

I'm sorry, I meant interdisciplinary as in attached to a university where I have access to other departments... Thank you for the information, though. 

1 hour ago, gtakaoka said:

Thank you! :) I'll check out their websites. 

Edited by Pulsar

15 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Thank you for letting me know! :) I looked at its website, but I can't tell if students are able to enroll in other departments' courses. Would you know, by any chance?  

Thank you for the link! 

I'm sorry, I meant interdisciplinary as in attached to a university where I have access to other departments... Thank you for the information, though. 

Thank you! :) I'll check out their websites. 

Hmm...I'm not sure that you would be offered that opportunity.  I'd like to say that it could be a possibility given the structure of the program, but I don't want to make any falsified claims.  I reckon you could give them a call and they'll be able to sort it out.  Let us know if you find out any further information :)  

Contact info: http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/art/studio/mfa/apply

@Pulsar

Just found this:

Cross-School initiatives include collaborations with Steinhardt’s Department of Media, Culture, and Communication, Stern School of Business, and Tisch School of the Arts. Offsite collaborations include PERFORMA, the international Biennial of Performance Art, the International Center for Photography, and the Urban Glass Workshop in Brooklyn. Community based initiatives in studio art, art education, and art therapy are complimented by an extended network of internships and field placements with outstanding artists, museums, galleries, publishers, filmmakers, schools, and hospitals.

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/art/about/

Edited by hypoart

On 1/13/2016 at 11:34 AM, straydog654 said:

Anybody heard from UCSB yet?

Hey! A friend and I heard from UCSB last weekend. We got offered an interview. Have you heard anything? I talked to Carol Talley. She says they are interviewing 12 and accepting 8. There may be a wait list but the final number will be 8. 

Also, I was curious why you think they're a good fit for you?

Finally, have you met with them previously, i.e. before you applied? They seem to like having prospective students visit prior to applications. Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

Just remembered IUPUI has a later deadline (2/15, I think). I met some of their folks at the portfolio day -- they were incredibly nice -- and they indicated doing cross-disciplinary things would be feasible there. (I don't remember if it's actually part of the curriculum or not.) Depending on what you want to do, you might have to petition for permission, but I definitely got the impression that they'd make it happen for the right person asking for the right reasons.

Just received a receipt of application letter from UNM. I was terrified to open it because it was a small envelope situation. @nikcav I suspect you'll receive one, too.

Does anyone know if this is a new procedure, or is it pretty typical to get some sort of confirmation by post?

12 hours ago, hypoart said:

Just received a receipt of application letter from UNM. I was terrified to open it because it was a small envelope situation. @nikcav I suspect you'll receive one, too.

Does anyone know if this is a new procedure, or is it pretty typical to get some sort of confirmation by post?

Thanks for the heads up. I really don't understand why they're sending us letters like that. I had actually already gotten an email confirmation from UMM saying  the same thing. This just adds to my anxiety.

I applied to six schools for an MFA in painting or interdisciplinary art. I am beyond anxious.

SAIC Low residency and full time

SVA Art Practice

UC Davis

Yale

CCA

BARD

I just received and email for an interview via Skype with UC Davis. 

36 minutes ago, Kaji Irukazu said:

I just open my mailbox, and I received an interview letter from SAIC performance program. The date on this letter is Jan.15! So fast!

GOOD LUCK everyone!

wow congrats!  that is incredibly fast, wasn't the app date Jan 15th?  Did you get this letter mailed to you through the post or through email?
Good luck with your interview!!!

9 hours ago, Alment said:

wow congrats!  that is incredibly fast, wasn't the app date Jan 15th?  Did you get this letter mailed to you through the post or through email?
Good luck with your interview!!!

The deadline (at least for the departments I applied for) was January 10th. Which department did you apply for? I hope we hear soon, too!

Congrats Kaji and good luck! 

4 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

The deadline (at least for the departments I applied for) was January 10th. Which department did you apply for? I hope we hear soon, too!

Congrats Kaji and good luck! 

oh haha, yep i applied to so many that I forgot what was when. :rolleyes:
I still haven't heard from anyone! 

30 minutes ago, willenium said:

Anybody know roughly how many applicants UCLA and Yale get for painting each year?

Here's what i just googled for you ;) :

The following list was adapted from another website (source: petersons.com) and it's based on the general major of MFA Fine arts (painting & drawing, sculpture, Photography, printmaking etc) however, some schools do not specify the exact same department, so the closest alternative was selected. So not exactly apples to apples but it still may be helpful.

Source: Graduate Schools - Best Graduate School Search at Petersons.com

Columbia (Visual arts)
Student Statistics: Average age 27. 1,052 applicants, 2% accepted, 26 enrolled.

USC (Fine Art)
Average age 27. 312 applicants, 3% accepted, 8 enrolled.

UCLA (School of Art)
703 applicants, 3% accepted, 14 enrolled.

NYU (Studio Art)
Average age 29. 337 applicants, 3% accepted, 9 enrolled

RISD (Painting)
Student Statistics: Average age 29. 372 applicants, 4% accepted, 10 enrolled

Yale (School of Art)
Average age 28. 1,222 applicants, 5% accepted, 57 enrolled

Hunter (Studio Art)
Average age 30. 766 applicants, 5% accepted, 22 enrolled

Tyler (Painting & Sculpture)
Student Statistics: 226 applicants, 8% accepted, 13 enrolled

SAIC (painting)
Student Statistics: 524 applicants, 9% accepted, 29 enrolled.

Calarts- School of art
Student Statistics: Average age 27. 383 applicants, 17% accepted, 38 enrolled

VCU- School of art
Student Statistics: 907 applicants, 18% accepted, 92 enrolled

UC Irvine (School of Studio Art)
Average age 28. 89 applicants, 25% accepted, 10 enrolled.

Parson (Fine Arts)
Student Statistics: Average age 27. 242 applicants, 26% accepted, 22 enrolled

SVA (Fine Arts)
Student Statistics: Average age 29. 408 applicants, 27% accepted, 32 enrolled.

Cranbrook (Fine arts)
Average age 27. 430 applicants, 30% accepted, 71 enrolled

SFAI (Dept of Painting)
Average age 32. 186 applicants, 30% accepted, 39 enrolled.

U of Iowa (Program in Art)
Average age 30. 173 applicants, 36% accepted, 51 enrolled.

Pratt (Fine art)
Average age 28. 355 applicants, 46% accepted, 65 enrolled

Montclair State (Art and Design)
Average age 34. 49 applicants, 71% accepted, 18 enrolled.

MICA: Unknown
Ohio State: Unknown

Edited by Alment

Thanks Alment!  I found that too but was wondering how many specifically for painting at UCLA. That number includes all areas...it's not important I guess at this point just another thing to drive myself insane over.  If anyone knows off hand I'm just curious.

Edited by willenium

45 minutes ago, willenium said:

Anybody know roughly how many applicants UCLA and Yale get for painting each year?

Depends on the department. Yale's painting department consistently caps at 22-23 students per year.

Edited by MovingTarget22

OH MAN.  I just got a call from Columbia.  I answered the phone and once she said who it was I quickly remembered I didn't apply to Columbia, and they were looking for Teach America.  Dammit grad school gods.

2 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

OH MAN.  I just got a call from Columbia.  I answered the phone and once she said who it was I quickly remembered I didn't apply to Columbia, and they were looking for Teach America.  Dammit grad school gods.

LOL!! 

That's so random!!