MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

15 hours ago, Dogss said:

Same here. This is my first year applying to MFA programs so I do not know what to expect. I can only guess how my work stacks up, and part of me doubts I will make it. I come from such a small unknown liberal arts college, have done no residencies, and my gallery representation is very modest. I'm happy with my work, but I wonder how relevant it is in the grand scheme of things.

I hope I can take disappointment if it does happen. I hope I can keep my head up, and realize that if I don't get in, my applications can only improve because this is still a valuable learning experience in itself. I just have this horrible tendency to get my hopes up, I don't want to get crushed under any feelings that may crop up.

I completely relate to how you're feeling. What I understood is that above all the program's choice is based on fit, few current students, previous applicants and a program director described it to me as a "matchmaking" process. What worries me is that even if I was confident in what I have to offer, these programs might not be interested in work like mine. 

Anyway, good luck to you and to everyone on this forum! I'm sure we'll be able to handle the decisions whatever they might be!

Hold up.... What is this about a Yale video question. 

I applied for mfa painting and I didn't see a video question.  Did I miss it somehow or was this for a specific program? 

Thanks!!

Hi everyone, long-time lurker here! Congratulations to all for even getting to the point of submitting applications, that was no east feat. I melted down more times than I care to admit during the process. I'm a first time MFA applicant and am applying to Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Alfred, VCU, Cranbrook, Rutgers, UMichigan, and Concordia.

23 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

yay! Congrats!

I just found out I can do a skype interview, so my mini freak-out has subsided. 

A few days ago I started sifting through last year's freakout topic to see when people heard about interviews and realized UChicago would be sending out requests this week--needless to say, I haven't slept much for the past few days. I'm so relieved! 

EDIT--Oh wait, did you interview with them last year, dryheat? What other schools are you applying to? 

cpw0021, congratulations on the interview, and on the VSC residency! I was there in late 2014 and it was amazing. It might actually be great to be at a residency during the time of your interview - at one of my previous residencies, a fellow AiR had to fly out to England for a prestigious teaching position interview, and was coached beforehand by two of the other AiRs who happened to be tenured profs. Especially at VSC there are likely to be people who have been through the interview experience and can advise or even help you prepare for it. (:

On January 6, 2016 at 10:17 AM, tynnifer said:

Laceybug, that's a good list! I'm also considering adding SMFA to my applications last minute. Do you happen to know if they offer any funding? I'm canadian and absolutely can't afford to go into debt for my MFA so I'm only applying to programs which have a strong possibility of funding. 

This is my list...

Oxford, SUNY Buffalo, NorthWestern, Guelph, Simon Fraser university. 

I'm also considering applying to the Video Art program at Syracuse. I'm a bit weary about applying to a program that just focuses on one subject since I work with photography and video. Does anyone have any insight on this program?

I'm not really loving making these last minute decisions but I keep thinking I should apply to more.

Any statement of purpose pointers?

In case anyone is curious here is a link my work: meganmoore.ca

Tynnifer, I'm willing to take on some more debt for the right school. I dont know too much about SMFAs funding quite yet, but their program looks great, and I am most enthusiastic about access to the museum's collection. I think UMass Amherst offers great funding though and that is where my best undergrad professor studied. Best of luck!

To all persons inquiring about SMFA funding... They give merit scholarships to MANY grads, I would say about 80% of the grads even, and they range from 10-20,000 but most are like 14,000 it seems. Just an FYI 

Just now, Alment said:

To all persons inquiring about SMFA funding... They give merit scholarships to MANY grads, I would say about 80% of the grads even, and they range from 10-20,000 but most are like 14,000 it seems. Just an FYI 

that is, that was the case last year.... I guess its possible that this may change for next year since tufts just acquired smfa but i kind of doubt it

9 hours ago, rexkingiv said:

It was aimed for international students whose native language isn't English. The length was about 2 minutes and before you do the webcam question, you got a chance to check every possible technical issues.

Thanks! Very good to know.  I saw that last year most people are notified of interviews by the end of january and started getting really nervous especially since one of my references is being very slow about submitting a letter of rec.  At least i didnt miss a question!

Hi, everyone

My list is Yale, Rutgers, Hunter, UCLA, Columbia, SAIC, Cranbrook, PennDesign, Calarts. My native language is not English, but I have been studying one of art institute in US for half year. May I waive the requirement of language?

11 hours ago, HappyMilk said:

Hi, everyone

My list is Yale, Rutgers, Hunter, UCLA, Columbia, SAIC, Cranbrook, PennDesign, Calarts. My native language is not English, but I have been studying one of art institute in US for half year. May I waive the requirement of language?

This seems like a question for each school individually and it looks like you already applied to 4 schools.  Not to be rude but I would keep working on it, it could really help potential interviews for you.  

13 hours ago, HappyMilk said:

Hi, everyone

Hi! :)

So, like Alment mentioned, it really depends. 

I think you should be able to find the information you're looking for on the schools' websites.

Best of luck with the remainder of your applications!  

Edited by Pulsar
typo

Hi, Alment and Pulsar

:DThank you for your reply. I sent email to admission offices. I can waive Columbia. Some like Rutgers and UCLA have program of language study. My Toefl score is 83. I think I should retake exam. Thanks again! Good luck everyone~~~

Hey, everyone who's received an interview request, acceptance, rejection, etc.: Please, please enter your notification info into the Grad Cafe database -- for future years especially, being able to see patterns of when schools typically notify applicants with good or bad news is really helpful! (And conducive to freak-outs, for sure.)  

(:

Edited by Relm

Anyone else going crazy with anticipation? The app deadline for two of my schools isn't even until this Friday, and it's barely been a week since the others, but I am so ready to start hearing back from people. Any time my phone rings or I see I have an email, I have a mini heart attack.

22 hours ago, nikcav said:

Anyone else going crazy with anticipation? The app deadline for two of my schools isn't even until this Friday, and it's barely been a week since the others, but I am so ready to start hearing back from people. Any time my phone rings or I see I have an email, I have a mini heart attack.

Oh lord, yes. I've gotten a few of those application confirmation emails that start off "Thank you for your application/interest/whatever ...." 

My immediate reaction upon seeing THAT kind of opening (as opposed to "Congratulations!") is "oh shit, I've been rejected." Never mind that some of these emails were sent before the final deadlines had even passed. Deep breaths...

Hey has anyone who is applying to VCU received instructions yet on how to submit a portfolio?  I submitted the general app a few days ago and still haven't received a slideroom link or anything...  :mellow:

19 minutes ago, Alment said:

Hey has anyone who is applying to VCU received instructions yet on how to submit a portfolio?  I submitted the general app a few days ago and still haven't received a slideroom link or anything...  :mellow:

Yes, I received mine today. I think it said somewhere that it can take up to four days :S Good luck, hope yours arrives by tomorrow!

10 minutes ago, aniram415 said:

Yes, I received mine today. I think it said somewhere that it can take up to four days :S Good luck, hope yours arrives by tomorrow!

Oh good! Is it a slideroom link that you can just share or is it like a private upload?  With all the other apps I've done its just a normal universal link that you just have to wait for... if its just a link to slideroom do you mind sharing it? 

7 minutes ago, Alment said:

Oh good! Is it a slideroom link that you can just share or is it like a private upload?  With all the other apps I've done its just a normal universal link that you just have to wait for... if its just a link to slideroom do you mind sharing it? 

It's not a slideroom link, you'll have to wait til you get yours.. It does say on the website that they need four business days to process your application and send out a link. 

21 minutes ago, aniram415 said:

I have a question about the file sizes! Have you found the file sizes? I'm planning to upload 1024x768 images but I'm afraid it might be too small... 

14 hours ago, Alment said:

Sorry, Alment -  I would but as arte mentioned, it's not a Slideroom link. VCU also sends you new login info to sign into their system with.

13 hours ago, arte said:

It's not a slideroom link, you'll have to wait til you get yours.. It does say on the website that they need four business days to process your application and send out a link. 

I have a question about the file sizes! Have you found the file sizes? I'm planning to upload 1024x768 images but I'm afraid it might be too small... 

Hi arte! I didn't see specific file size requirements, and my files were about the size that you mentioned. Did you find a word limit for the personal statement.. ?

8 minutes ago, aniram415 said:

Sorry, Alment -  I would but as arte mentioned, it's not a Slideroom link. VCU also sends you new login info to sign into their system with.

Hi arte! I didn't see specific file size requirements, and my files were about the size that you mentioned. Did you find a word limit for the personal statement.. ?

Mine is 489 words... I tried really hard to make it under 500... Maybe I got it mixed with another school.

Hoping for a reply from the office before the deadline :wacko:

You can call the number 804-828-2787 for VCU questions, they just explained to me that only the app we've all already filled out is actually due today.  I also read the essay was supposed to be 500 but it let me submit 540, and I did already try to submit 700 so I guess there is a true cut off somewhere between those.  I would still submit today if I were you but yeah good to know you can have an extra few days more than you thought I guess