Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

On 1/15/2016 at 3:45 PM, VideoGirl said:

Hello all! Just joined the thread.

I just graduated with an MFA in visual art but decided to pursue a degree in art history. I'm interested in studying contemporary art, specifically new media, and I've applied to 10 Ph.D. and 2 M.A. programs. 

Also...today, I just heard back from my first school asking me to visit for an open house with top applicants! Woohoo!

Best of luck to everyone. Hope we all hear some good news.

In response to lasirko, it was Ohio State University. I also applied to UPenn!

7 minutes ago, feelthebern16 said:

how many times can one refresh their email in a day? 

Too many. I keep my phone on me so instead of constantly refreshing, I just hear a buzz when there's a new email. However, I ALSO added the Chrome page monitor to the results search for art history, which may or may not be unhealthy. Part of me just wants to keep tabs on whether things are sent out so I don't miss something. I've read about people missing interview invites and such because they went to their spam folders.

2 hours ago, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

Too many. I keep my phone on me so instead of constantly refreshing, I just hear a buzz when there's a new email. However, I ALSO added the Chrome page monitor to the results search for art history, which may or may not be unhealthy. Part of me just wants to keep tabs on whether things are sent out so I don't miss something. I've read about people missing interview invites and such because they went to their spam folders.

do you log into your apps too? it's like a weird compulsion. I know there won't be anything there. I just have to. 

34 minutes ago, feelthebern16 said:

do you log into your apps too? it's like a weird compulsion. I know there won't be anything there. I just have to. 

I do.  Every day.  I really should stop until there's a chance of something being updated (Feb), but my anxiety has other ideas!

@atrevidinha I would try contacting the department to see if the recommender can send it to an email address instead. I had an issue uploading at a different school and the office lady had my writer just email her and from there she attached it to my app. Hope this helps! 

Edited by feelthebern16

16 hours ago, atrevidinha said:

Anyone else apply to The Courtauld? One of my recommenders hasn't received any kind of link to upload his letter, and unlike the US schools, I don't have the option to send/resend a link to the online system. Is it possible they haven't contacted references yet? Feeling nervous :/

I applied to The Courtauld. My recommendation requests all went through exactly as they should. I even wrote to the school yesterday to confirm the letters had been received and an affirmative reply came this morning. Perhaps, your recommender needs to check his spam folder. Have you reviewed your application to make sure you spelled his email address correctly? I agree with contacting them to ask for an alternative way to submit a letter. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

I received an invitation to the Courtauld's event at the CAA conference, and... I had already decided not attend the conference this year, so I could hoard my vacation days for possible interview trips. Now, I could register late, but I have a work events on February 4, and 5 that I shouldn't miss. Especially, since it's not an actual interview. However, I see it as a missed opportunity to make a good impression in a semi-casual atmosphere that could influence my chance for an interview. Sigh, oh well, moving on.

@therealdealpikkel That's the worst feeling, I'm sorry. Maybe you could reach out to your POI there and let them know you're not able to make the conference but that you'd be happy to speak with them about your application? I've done similar things in the past and profs have generally been receptive, but that's just me. Good luck!! 

Hi everyone :)

I completed my BA last year and am working for an one-year position. Just finished applying to 6 MAs (the last one on January 15th).

So worried and nervous about the results... They say they will announce in March or April, but I can't wait @_@ Hopefully I get into at least one program! 

Hi all! I'm in the process of applying for masters courses and thought that I'd get in on some forum action :D

I'm based in the UK, and I graduated from my BA course in Art History last year in September :) I decided to take a break and instead of going for an MA straight after a BA degree, I'd wait until 2016. 

I've only applied to one place so far, the Courtauld, to the MA art history course. I'm considering applying to Central St Martins in London as well, and maybe Aberdeen uni too. The thing is I'm interested in 20th century Eastern European art, more specifically Estonian art made during the Soviet occupation before the cultural thaw in the late 1950s, so it's definitely narrowed down the number of courses I can apply to as I want to make sure I will (if I even get in anywhere!!!!!) have a dissertation supervisor/tutor who does work in the same area I'm interested in. 

anyway yes sorry about the massive wall of text I'm just excited to join in and share my crippling anxiety surrounding the application processes lmao :P 

I am wondering if anyone has heard back from Upenn for PhD?

It is my top choice and while I know it is super competitive, I am eager to hear back.

I know other programs at Penn have started to hear responses so I am curious if anyone for art history has heard anything!

1 hour ago, mxborder said:

Congrats to the CUNY admit! Mind sharing your area of interest and who you received the email from?

Hi Hi - I was the CUNY admit - I received an email from Prof. Koussser (who is not who I applied to work with FYI).  Sorry to be weird, but I don't want to publicly broadcast a lot of info - feel free to DM me if you have questions!

22 hours ago, marie_ret said:

Hi Hi - I was the CUNY admit - I received an email from Prof. Koussser (who is not who I applied to work with FYI).  Sorry to be weird, but I don't want to publicly broadcast a lot of info - feel free to DM me if you have questions!

Totally not being weird! I'm the same way, which is why I may not even mention any of the particular schools I applied to until after April.

1 hour ago, feelthebern16 said:

Wonder if anyone has had communications with any schools regarding decision times or stuff like that. Quiet group this year! 

I've heard from only two of my schools thus far. Happily, they're acceptances (and one with full funding!), but I'm super anxious about the other four schools!

Edited by rococo_realism
Formatting issue

1 hour ago, feelthebern16 said:

Wonder if anyone has had communications with any schools regarding decision times or stuff like that. Quiet group this year! 

From what I know, its still somewhat early for art history programs to send notifications. Most schools I've looked at notify in mid-late February or early March (first round, at least), so unfortunately I think we have at least a few more weeks to go. There are some outliers (e.g., Ohio State, Emory, etc.), but I think the timing for these programs is atypical. :-/

1 hour ago, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

From what I know, its still somewhat early for art history programs to send notifications. Most schools I've looked at notify in mid-late February or early March (first round, at least), so unfortunately I think we have at least a few more weeks to go. There are some outliers (e.g., Ohio State, Emory, etc.), but I think the timing for these programs is atypical. :-/

you're right! 

I definitely can sympathize with the anxiety of waiting!

And, I never really introduced myself. I'm applying to 9 PhD programs and 2 MAs. My AOI is modern/contemporary (predominately American) and I'm interested in feminist practice, critical theory, and theories of artistic labor.  I graduated from a SLAC a few years ago, taught for a year, and have been working in a large museum (admin position) since then. 

I know (because of the obsessive spreadsheets I've made) that I shouldn't expect to hear back from the schools I applied until early-mid February at the earliest, but the closer to February we actually get, the more anxiety and self-doubt creeps in. This is my first round applying and I like my job a lot, but I would really prefer not to have to go through this process again...

Received a rejection letter from the Courtauld's MA History of Art this morning. It was a spur-of-the-moment application for which I did no favors (submitted after the deadline & selected only one special option), so I'm not especially surprised. A shame I overlooked such an intriguing topic course in my hot pursuit one of the other MA programs, but such are the sacrifices we make... :P