Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

7 hours ago, ProspectiveProspective said:

Does anyone know if all the offers typically come out in one go? I.e. if we haven't heard back from Harvard/Princeton by now, is it safe to assume that we've been rejected?

I don't think so... I looked at the acceptance trends for the last few years (because what else are you gonna do, right?) and it seemed like most schools sent their acceptances and rejections out in at least two waves.

19 hours ago, blondeONblone said:

Hi there! Can I hang out here? I submitted my application to PNCA's MA in Critical Theory and Creative Research. I am so nervous because I only applied to this one school, because I really love this school and the faculty... but am now thinking I should have applied to more. :-/ I have a parallel career here in Portland with strong ties to the arts community, but an undergrad background in philosophy and theology... any way. I don't know what to do with myself for the next few weeks... month? waiting. ..

I'm in a similar boat. I only applied to four programs, and I've been wondering if I should have applied to more, but these are the perfect programs for my interests.

As for the waiting, I'm working on myself overall, so even if I fail this year then next year I'll be an even better applicant. Also, it's provides a confidence boost for interviews. I keep studying my interests and looking for calls for papers that will accept non-graduate/higher academic submissions. I've also been brushing up on my foreign language skills, focusing on my diet and exercise, creating a new website, improving my musical skills on two instruments, and taking once a week introductory sewing classes all in addition to working 40-45 hours per week. If nothing else, I'm almost too tired to worry about the part of the process I can't control.

7 hours ago, ProspectiveProspective said:

Does anyone know if all the offers typically come out in one go? I.e. if we haven't heard back from Harvard/Princeton by now, is it safe to assume that we've been rejected?

I've been looking at the results page and searching each school's name to see what was reported in the past. With this method, you can see if two groups reported contact a week apart or so, if interviews have been offered, what month students have been contacted, etc.

One of my schools typically contacts students over two weeks to schedule interviews. In the past students reported contact one week then a second group reported the next week. The first wave was contacted last week, so if I'm not contacted this week then I am going to count myself out for that program.

@therealdealpikkel

I wouldn't worry too much...my mentor strongly encouraged me to only apply to 5 schools and he had even round-tabled that idea with his colleagues, who all agreed. In the end it is about the fit. It sounds like you narrowed and focused your apps which is probably for the best. I went ahead and submitted more than 5 but not by much. 

3 hours ago, bosie_dearest said:

I don't think so... I looked at the acceptance trends for the last few years (because what else are you gonna do, right?) and it seemed like most schools sent their acceptances and rejections out in at least two waves.

That's reassuring! Hopefully some new 'waves' will happen sooner rather than later for the sake of my own sanity...

Also, I'm totally stealing your signature. 

Edited by m-artman

I don't know if this is only for people who already got emails from the DGS, but Harvard's online app now says "DECISION STATUS: AVAILABLE BEGINNING 2/3/2016." I only mention this because in years past the board suggests that Harvard updated their online portal without necessarily emailing people of the change in status (even for some admits!), but it's still super early so I wouldn't think anything of it if there is no change. 

Edited by mxborder

22 minutes ago, mxborder said:

I don't know if this is only for people who already got emails from the DGS, but Harvard's online app now says "DECISION STATUS: AVAILABLE BEGINNING 2/3/2016." I only mention this because in years past the board suggests that Harvard updated their online portal without necessarily emailing people of the change in status, but it's still super early so I wouldn't think anything of it if there is no change. 

Just checked my app, and no change. Maybe it only updated for those who have already been accepted? Has anyone else seen an update?

40 minutes ago, bosie_dearest said:

Just checked my app, and no change. Maybe it only updated for those who have already been accepted? Has anyone else seen an update?

I got the email too. Went onto my app and got the dreaded rejection. One down, six to go!

2 hours ago, future art grad said:

Received acceptances from both Harvard and Princeton this week.  Thoughts on which one to accept?

Congrats! Honestly, I think it depends more on which POIs match your interests more closely.

Waiting is such a pain... I check the result page everyday and get anxious ;_; 

it seems that UW Madison has sent out some acceptance notices. I've applied for MA program and I see one person accepted (or posted his/her acceptance). Anyone else heard from UW Madison Art History MA??

I know it will probably take longer time to hear from schools (especially those with January deadlines), but it makes me feel very nervous and frustrated   @_@

Anyone else here applying to the Courtauld? I applied for the Wall Painting Conservation course and the Buddhist Art: History and Conversation course. Got an email asking me to interview for the Wall Painting one, which was surprising, because I have really average undergrad grades and they only accept 8 people every three years! Unfortunately I'm living in Melbourne so I've arranged to interview over Skype. I have no idea how I'll do the colour and manual dexterity tests though. I offered to go to an optometrist but I have no idea about testing how shaky my hands are. Still waiting to hear back from the other course, and also applied for the MA in Asian Art at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London and MA Cultural Materials and Conservation at Melbourne Uni.

7 hours ago, meowcloud said:

Anyone else here applying to the Courtauld? I applied for the Wall Painting Conservation course and the Buddhist Art: History and Conversation course. Got an email asking me to interview for the Wall Painting one, which was surprising, because I have really average undergrad grades and they only accept 8 people every three years! Unfortunately I'm living in Melbourne so I've arranged to interview over Skype. I have no idea how I'll do the colour and manual dexterity tests though. I offered to go to an optometrist but I have no idea about testing how shaky my hands are. Still waiting to hear back from the other course, and also applied for the MA in Asian Art at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London and MA Cultural Materials and Conservation at Melbourne Uni.

I'm not sure about the dexterity portion. For the color test, they may have you take this test: http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk (also fun to pass the time while waiting for application responses). You have to see colors correctly to match hues for conservation painting, and not everyone can match colors. Try the test out and become comfortable with it.

On 2/2/2016 at 2:14 PM, blondeONblone said:

Hi there! Can I hang out here? I submitted my application to PNCA's MA in Critical Theory and Creative Research. I am so nervous because I only applied to this one school, because I really love this school and the faculty... but am now thinking I should have applied to more. :-/ I have a parallel career here in Portland with strong ties to the arts community, but an undergrad background in philosophy and theology... any way. I don't know what to do with myself for the next few weeks... month? waiting. ..

I'm in the same boat.  I only applied to Duke (Visual Media Studies track) and haven't heard anything back yet.  I had an in-person meeting with a number of the professors before I applied, so I'm hoping that helps my chances a bit.  Good luck to you!

On 2/3/2016 at 6:53 AM, therealdealpikkel said:

I'm in a similar boat. I only applied to four programs, and I've been wondering if I should have applied to more, but these are the perfect programs for my interests.

As for the waiting, I'm working on myself overall, so even if I fail this year then next year I'll be an even better applicant. Also, it's provides a confidence boost for interviews. I keep studying my interests and looking for calls for papers that will accept non-graduate/higher academic submissions. I've also been brushing up on my foreign language skills, focusing on my diet and exercise, creating a new website, improving my musical skills on two instruments, and taking once a week introductory sewing classes all in addition to working 40-45 hours per week. If nothing else, I'm almost too tired to worry about the part of the process I can't control.

Yeah I know what you mean about the program being perfect... I really love this one and enjoyed meeting/ speaking with faculty.

All the regular life stuff keeps me busy, but I still have lots of space to anticipate during all of these activities as well.

I love the idea of continuing to build momentum and applying again if necessary.

On 2/5/2016 at 8:08 PM, HylianScholar said:

I'm in the same boat.  I only applied to Duke (Visual Media Studies track) and haven't heard anything back yet.  I had an in-person meeting with a number of the professors before I applied, so I'm hoping that helps my chances a bit.  Good luck to you!

Yes! I am hoping that meeting professors made a very good impression as well.

On 1/6/2016 at 11:23 AM, papereverwhere said:

I attended the University of Melbourne. Are you from Australia also? Which uni did you attend?

I got acceptance at ANU and now have applied for visa. Are you from Australia... I believe domestic students can get acceptance quiet easily than international students? Is that true?