Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

On 2/7/2016 at 8:17 PM, blondeONblone said:

I love the idea of continuing to build momentum and applying again if necessary.

I'm feeling fairly pessimistic about my applications this year. Got a rejection notice this weekend, so feeling pretty bummed but also inspired to keep working. I either let them tell me no and accept their opinion, or find a way to make someone say yes.

1 hour ago, therealdealpikkel said:

I'm feeling fairly pessimistic about my applications this year. Got a rejection notice this weekend, so feeling pretty bummed but also inspired to keep working. I either let them tell me no and accept their opinion, or find a way to make someone say yes.

@therealdealpikkel two rejections and silence on all other ends, so I understand your outlook. Let's hang in there...

8 minutes ago, feelthebern16 said:

@therealdealpikkel two rejections and silence on all other ends, so I understand your outlook. Let's hang in there...

You'll be okay. I got two rejections last week and then started out today with an acceptance. Your time will come!

So when you guys are corresponding with POIs (after acceptance) to plan visits, discuss interests, etc. how do you address professors?

Before submitting applications and when first beginning to communicate after offer was given, I addressed my emails Dear Professor X. Now that we've traded several emails back and forth, have spoken on the phone, etc. is it appropriate to switch to their first name? The professor that I am currently in dialogue with who prompted this post signs her emails with her first name, introduced herself on the phone with her first name, refers to her colleagues by their first names, but I still don't want to be presumptuous. I thought about not including an address in the email, but that seems even more informal/disrespectful!

Any thoughts? (I know I'm overthinking, but I'd like to hear your opinions) 

4 minutes ago, mxborder said:

So when you guys are corresponding with POIs (after acceptance) to plan visits, discuss interests, etc. how do you address professors?

Before submitting applications and when first beginning to communicate after offer was given, I addressed my emails Dear Professor X. Now that we've traded several emails back and forth, have spoken on the phone, etc. is it appropriate to switch to their first name? The professor that I am currently in dialogue with who prompted this post signs her emails with her first name, introduced herself on the phone with her first name, refers to her colleagues by their first names, but I still don't want to be presumptuous. I thought about not including an address in the email, but that seems even more informal/disrespectful!

I'm not in art history, mind your, so I'm not sure of the conventions, but I'd always address them as Dr. "Suchorsuch". 

Not sure if I'm brave enough to risk offending someone. :) 

21 minutes ago, mxborder said:

I have the same situation. So far, I've still addressed my POIs as "Professor ..." or "Dr. ..." to be polite. Even though they've been using their first names in their signatures, I think it's best to wait until they say in person that they prefer to be called by their first names to start doing so.

If the professor signs his/her first name, I think it's totally fine to address subsequent emails "Dear First-name" -- if you're reaching out to a professor for the first time, go with "Professor Last-name" -- and I'd go with "Professor" over "Dr." -- but that's rather institutionally specific. 

19 hours ago, qwer7890 said:

If the professor signs his/her first name, I think it's totally fine to address subsequent emails "Dear First-name" -- if you're reaching out to a professor for the first time, go with "Professor Last-name" -- and I'd go with "Professor" over "Dr." -- but that's rather institutionally specific. 

I agree. You can tell who cares about being called Dr./Prof. because they sign their names that way.

My email formality declines based on the response. I always start off formal Dear Dr./Prof XXX. If I say "Dear" and they respond "Hi", or I end with "regards" and they just put their name then I mimic their formality/informality in my reply. It annoys me to sign my name XXX and have someone respond with Mr/s. Last Name...it makes me think that they are trying to hard. Also, it annoys me when I use my middle name and they keep using my first name...did you not read what I wrote?! Last, one day we want to be their peers; let's interact like peers and call them by their first name. You were deferential to begin with and that's what matters.

On 2/8/2016 at 5:27 PM, mxborder said:

My preference is to err on the formal side until they explicitly correct me and say, "Call me X." I'm in the first year of my PhD program, and I still address emails to my adviser "Dear Professor X." I was taught that these are general forms of respect, and while it is totally normal for my adviser to write "Hi X" and use my first name, I wouldn't feel comfortable returning the same degree of informality with him... maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and academia tends to be old fashioned. Especially at the POI stage, I don't think there's any point in risking offending someone with an informal address. 

Hey all,

I'm a new member, long time lurker. I'm a classical archaeologist who applied to Duke's Visual Studies/Art History Program. Anyone else applied there? Heard anything? I see one person posted an email on the results page but didn't add any details...

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Archaic_Smile said:

Hey all,

I'm a new member, long time lurker. I'm a classical archaeologist who applied to Duke's Visual Studies/Art History Program. Anyone else applied there? Heard anything? I see one person posted an email on the results page but didn't add any details...

Thanks!

Hey there-

I am also classical art, however I did not apply to Duke as no one there met my interests. I do know however from my friend that is in the middle of her PhD there for classical arch that they are having their prospective student weekend next week.

Just now, lasirko said:

Hey there-

I am also classical art, however I did not apply to Duke as no one there met my interests. I do know however from my friend that is in the middle of her PhD there for classical arch that they are having their prospective student weekend next week.

Gotcha. Disappointing, but I figured. Thanks!

I'm the BU admit! Thanks for the well wishes.

@rococo_realism I chose to apply to schools in Boston over NYC for the same reason. I thought it was at least a tiny bit more affordable in Boston. 

@lasirko Best of luck with BU! Mine was just a good research connection with my POI. My GRE's weren't exactly stellar, but otherwise everything just fell into place. I was honestly a bit surprised. I expected to be sent to MA program without any funding. Best of luck to you!!

5 minutes ago, m-artman said:

I'm the BU admit! Thanks for the well wishes.

@rococo_realism I chose to apply to schools in Boston over NYC for the same reason. I thought it was at least a tiny bit more affordable in Boston. 

@lasirko Best of luck with BU! Mine was just a good research connection with my POI. My GRE's weren't exactly stellar, but otherwise everything just fell into place. I was honestly a bit surprised. I expected to be sent to MA program without any funding. Best of luck to you!!

@m-artman I am in the same boat for the GRES, writing was good the rest was a disaster. What time period of art history do you study :)

I am interested in the Early Modern Period and cultural exchange between republics (Venice, Dutch, etc.) and their more religious counterparts. It's pretty broad, but I wrote my undergraduate thesis on Venetian Church Architecture from 1480-1560 and changes that occurred in architecture, linking them to outside, protestant influences. I hope to focus more on 17th Century Dutch in graduate school.