Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

Just curious: for those who were rejected from Chicago, are you in the process of earning your M.A./have already graduated with a M.A., or are you applying directly from a B.A. program? 

Edited by Noscrubs

8 hours ago, m-artman said:

I'm the BU admit! Thanks for the well wishes.

@rococo_realism I chose to apply to schools in Boston over NYC for the same reason. I thought it was at least a tiny bit more affordable in Boston. 

@lasirko Best of luck with BU! Mine was just a good research connection with my POI. My GRE's weren't exactly stellar, but otherwise everything just fell into place. I was honestly a bit surprised. I expected to be sent to MA program without any funding. Best of luck to you!!

Well, again, congratulations! I definitely steered clear of NYC.

13 hours ago, Noscrubs said:

Just curious: for those who were rejected from Chicago, are you in the process of earning your M.A./have already graduated with a M.A., or are you applying directly from a B.A. program? 

I assume that those of us who were rejected from the PhD but referred to the MAPH program all only had BAs -- otherwise, it would be a bit strange for the university to suggest that MA students apply for another MA. Just a guess, though!

20 hours ago, Noscrubs said:

I was one of the U of C applicants that was referred to the MAPH program. My situation is a bit peculiar, because I have a BFA and MFA in studio art. So technically I have a master's degree already, although it's in a different field.

Oof, I know I'm lucky to already have some acceptances, but rejections from Chicago and Columbia today still hurt more than I thought they would. This entire process seems like such a random game--I know a lot has to do with fit for sure, but equally often it comes down to factors that no one can predict or control. I'm already having a tough time deciding between my top two choices, so honestly it's for the best, but man this entire thing takes way more emotional energy than anything else I've done or than I expected. 

2 hours ago, northeastregional said:

FYI Delaware meets on Friday. Penn also meets this week. Maryland waiting on funding approval for their cohort from the university admins.

How do you know this? haha, not that I doubt you just curious.

I'm going to cry if I get in or do not with Penn. So I am just trying to anticipate when my meltdown should be.

23 minutes ago, northeastregional said:

I've answered this twice already via pm so maybe I should just say outright: I am either directly affiliated with, friends with, or married to someone affiliated with each of those institutions, at both grad student (one of the three) and faculty (two of the three) levels. 

There is no need to be hostile- we don't know what you say to people in private messages.

We are all stressed and trying to go through this together so let us all be civil and cordial with each other. And most importantly, supportive.

On 2/7/2016 at 11:30 PM, kaneross said:

I got acceptance at ANU and now have applied for visa. Are you from Australia... I believe domestic students can get acceptance quiet easily than international students? Is that true?

Hi! Sorry, this is late. I've been avoiding all things graduate study related like its the plague due to my immense fear of rejection. Haha. Trying to pretend as if I have not made any applications at all. :ph34r:

Congrats on your acceptance to ANU. :) 

I can only say that it is my opinion that it is easy for Australian candidates to get into domestic programs: a good transcript from a good local university will likely take you far enough. I am actually not sure how hard it is for international students to get into Australian universities - my gut feeling would say that it wouldn't be any harder to get in to the programs, but in regards to matters of funding, I would assume domestic students would have an advantage, mainly because our government actually funds a large number of PhD places under the APA award system, so it would make sense to fund local talent. I have no idea if this is true though.