Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

Hello, all! There's no thread going for those of us in the Fall 2016 cohort, so I thought that I'd get the ball rolling.

I'm an Americanist, and I'm applying to 5-6 programs, mostly Ph.D. I tend to take a sociological bent in my analysis, and, because I majored in English as an undergrad, I also like to incorporate critical and literary theory.

Care to share, anyone? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! As of now, I'm applying to 5-6 programs, 4 PhD and probably 2 MA. Almost all of them are on the west coast. 

I'm interested in the development of modern art in Europe and America, particularly women artists and visual/material culture. Interdisciplinarity is also important to me, as I was a double major with anthropology in undergrad. 

Hi! I'm likely applying to 7-8 programs (we'll see). I have an MA in Art History with extra-departmental specialization in Sexual Diversity. I'm interested in German photography, particularly LGBT artists and artist groups working around/during Paragraph 175 and the political discrepancies regarding the rule in the East/West. 

• 3 months later...

I've just completed an MA and I applied for 5 phd programs to study lgbtq contemporary art. I have no idea what to do with myself for the next few months while we're all waiting - it's kind of terrifying knowing that a few emails anywhere from a few weeks to a few months from now will determine what happens next but until I get those responses, it feels like endless limbo. I feel like asking to be put in a medically induced coma...

Hi there! I'm glad to see an art history thread - so many science/math threads out there. I'm applying to eight schools (PhD), with two in progress. 

I'm a twentieth century modernist (American/European) specializing in the interplay of identity, cosmopolitan memory, and the globalization of charged imagery.

Most art history programs start deliberating within the next week or two, so we'll start hearing soon, I hope!

Hello,

I have made three applications to US PhD programs, and will be making one to a UK MA program. The limited number of applications I have made is because of time restraints more than anything. I have been very green to this entire process .... PhD acceptance in my country is nowhere near as competitive as in the US, so I feel rather foolish now applying to the universities I have, knowing what I know now - still, what's done is done and I hope I might just get lucky. 

Though I shouldn't be surprised if I am rejected from all that I have applied, I will of course feel totally deflated if I am. A completely self-defeating enterprise that I was not anticipating, but now must deal with. Haha.

All the best to you all with your applications. x

ahh. nice. i'll probably head usyd way if my international applications fall through - some great faculty there, and also to avoid academic inbreeding and what not. though ideally i'd hope to go abroad, it's kind of nice knowing that i wont have the same ridiculously tortuous application process if it comes to it: freaking out about the slim chances and writing all these personal statements has driven me blind crazy. 

good luck in your apps. what's your area of interest and which are your top preferences for unis that you are making this round?

Thanks for starting this thread! I was an English major and got an MPhil in English as well. I have submitted only two applications to universities in Canada, both in Educational Studies. I have been a teacher for over a decade and my work experience has led me to the new discipline where literature, pedagogy and cultural theories come together. Hopefully I will hear some good news by...March??!?! Such a long wait... 

Hey friends! Just joined. I looked over the past AH threads and they seemed to have been much more active! What's going on this year? Where is everyone? Anyway, applied to 8 schools.

Funny thought about the GRE: While I was studying I was thinking, I really hope these scores don't matter too much, stupid standardized testing, this isn't a fair way to measure ability, this sucks, etc. When the exam was over and the weight of months of studying, anxiety, opting out of plans with friends, prepping, etc. was over, I was thinking...this exam BETTER count for something! Ha! 

Come out wherever you are, art historians! Best of luck to all. 

19th c. Americanist here! Applied to 13 PhD programs, have one more to go and one MA app that I'm dreading (hooray procrastination!). Every time anyone asks me if I've heard back from schools yet it's all I can do not to start yelping incoherently before curling into a ball. 

Good luck, all you smart kids! (And great username, feelthebern ;)

19th and 20th century textiles/clothing, and decorative arts here. I applied to 4 MA programs, two in the US and two in the UK. The last application is due at the end of this month; I plan to submit my final application later this week, and then the waiting really begins. I'm starting to think that I should have applied to more schools, but I can only attend one. Also, the schools I chose had the programs/instructors that fit my interests. I had enough of being in a department with no instructors interested in my area during my UG studies.

4 hours ago, therealdealpikkel said:

19th and 20th century textiles/clothing, and decorative arts here. I applied to 4 MA programs, two in the US and two in the UK. The last application is due at the end of this month; I plan to submit my final application later this week, and then the waiting really begins. I'm starting to think that I should have applied to more schools, but I can only attend one. Also, the schools I chose had the programs/instructors that fit my interests. I had enough of being in a department with no instructors interested in my area during my UG studies.

Thereal, are you at KU? I did my UG there - I took a great decorative arts course there with Katherine Futter, the curator at the Nelson. 

also, may I ask where you applied in the U.S.? I was originally interested in design history, and even visited Bard Graduate in New York. Still a pet topic of mine, I just had burning questions in other areas...

I attended KU, but graduated a few years ago. There were no DecArts focused courses when I attended KU. Bard is my number one choice. I also applied to NYU, but the Visual Culture program not the Art History program. I thought about Winterthur, but they took five months to respond to my inquiry for additional information. So I decided against Winterthur, even though it's supposed to be the best and all students are fully funded.

3 hours ago, therealdealpikkel said:

I attended KU, but graduated a few years ago. There were no DecArts focused courses when I attended KU. Bard is my number one choice. I also applied to NYU, but the Visual Culture program not the Art History program. I thought about Winterthur, but they took five months to respond to my inquiry for additional information. So I decided against Winterthur, even though it's supposed to be the best and all students are fully funded.

Yeah, the class with Dr. Futter was the only one I had (I graduated in 2005, so it was a while ago). It would be good for the KU Art History department to diversify their fields of expertise, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen.

Hello all! Just joined the thread.

I just graduated with an MFA in visual art but decided to pursue a degree in art history. I'm interested in studying contemporary art, specifically new media, and I've applied to 10 Ph.D. and 2 M.A. programs. 

Also...today, I just heard back from my first school asking me to visit for an open house with top applicants! Woohoo!

Best of luck to everyone. Hope we all hear some good news.

On 1/15/2016 at 4:45 PM, VideoGirl said:

Hello all! Just joined the thread.

I just graduated with an MFA in visual art but decided to pursue a degree in art history. I'm interested in studying contemporary art, specifically new media, and I've applied to 10 Ph.D. and 2 M.A. programs. 

Also...today, I just heard back from my first school asking me to visit for an open house with top applicants! Woohoo!

Best of luck to everyone. Hope we all hear some good news.

Wondering which school you heard from!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this thread!

I hold a BA in Religion & Classical Studies from Concordia University and am in the process of completing my MA in Ancient History at McGill University. I tend to look at religion and art in the Roman (and sometimes Egyptian and Greek) world. As well as political art and how it was used as a means of propaganda in the Roman empire. :)

I applied to 7 schools: Upenn, Hopkins, Cornell, Yale, BostonU, UofToronto & Penn State. I am hoping to hear something soon, starting to lose my mind. Have people started to hear much?

Edited by lasirko