Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

Hi everyone! I thought I should introduce myself since I've been lurking around here for a few months. I'm hoping to study Early Modern art and architecture within the Dutch or Venetian Republics. I applied to two Masters and five PhD programs - I check this site several times a day for updates! Waiting has become agonizing!! I haven't heard anything back yet, but I did notice that someone was accepted at UC Chapel Hill for the PhD program. Would love to hear more from this person and what they plan to study!

For those of you who have gone through this before, or just happen to know the answers: do schools interview all accepted applicants prior to acceptance? If I am not invited for an interview, should I just consider myself rejected without a rejection notice? Do people get accepted without interviewing?

These questions occurred to me as I see people contacted by programs that I have applied to attend, and I wait. I know some programs stagger interviews based on best to worst applicants. However, I assume there will come a time when no interview means it's just a matter of waiting for the rejection letter.

@therealdealpikkel good question, was wondering that myself. Also, wondering if anyone has had contact with Michigan. 

funny side note: I started checking my spam folder regularly and OMG ... the weird emails that I had no idea existed in the universe... the internet has come a long way from "Nigerian kings" looking for money, ha!

Edited by feelthebern16

I went through this last year (and the process sucks). From my experience, I got accepted to a few PhD programs that didn't interview me (surprising, right?). I had a few "informal interviews/ chats" with some of the folks at the other programs (when I was applying and emailing sometimes profs wanted to speak with me on the phone, meet up at CAA, etc). Random patterns I noticed: (a) most decisions came out Thursday or Friday late afternoons, (b) acceptance letters came out earlier than rejections (weeks ahead at times), and (c) bigger programs sent out decisions for different fields of study at different times. Hope it helps, somewhat. 

@feelthebern16 I too have been checking my spam! so many emails that I never wanted to read (apparently I've been entered to win an extra-large fleshlight?)

@therealdealpikkel some schools don't do interviews, but the ones that do will not admit you without one. Perhaps there are a few exceptions, but I think that's the general rule. PM me if you want specifics on schools you applied to :)

and, regarding Michigan, they've contacted their shortlist candidates already, as far as I know.

30 minutes ago, theartman1193 said:

I went through this last year (and the process sucks). From my experience, I got accepted to a few PhD programs that didn't interview me (surprising, right?). I had a few "informal interviews/ chats" with some of the folks at the other programs (when I was applying and emailing sometimes profs wanted to speak with me on the phone, meet up at CAA, etc). Random patterns I noticed: (a) most decisions came out Thursday or Friday late afternoons, (b) acceptance letters came out earlier than rejections (weeks ahead at times), and (c) bigger programs sent out decisions for different fields of study at different times. Hope it helps, somewhat. 

Artman! Welcome back!

@therealdealpikkel As other responses have stated, I think interviews all depend on the school. So far, I've gotten accepted into one Ph.D. program without an interview, but I know that there are some universities that interview all of the candidates that they're considering. It's hard to guess sometimes!

P.S. I've also been feeling the pain of the waiting game. I've been checking this site and my email at least ten times a day, and I've definitely noticed a few more grey hairs from this application experience. Hopefully we'll all get some responses within the next few weeks!

Hello everyone! Another Fall 2016 applicant here. I study Asian Art and applied to five programs. The waiting is killing me... I was just wondering whether anyone has heard anything from Stanford or UCLA, both of which had the earliest application deadlines...

Since it's almost 9pm EST, I guess there's no need to check my email again until Monday, and I feel relieved!

Wish all of us the best of luck!

1 hour ago, lisland said:

I was just wondering whether anyone has heard anything from Stanford or UCLA, both of which had the earliest application deadlines...

as far as I know, Stanford won't be sending anything out til mid/late Feb :(

Hi there! Can I hang out here? I submitted my application to PNCA's MA in Critical Theory and Creative Research. I am so nervous because I only applied to this one school, because I really love this school and the faculty... but am now thinking I should have applied to more. :-/ I have a parallel career here in Portland with strong ties to the arts community, but an undergrad background in philosophy and theology... any way. I don't know what to do with myself for the next few weeks... month? waiting. ..

4 hours ago, Noscrubs said:

Has anyone else been invited by CUNY to the CAA breakfast? It seems like last year everyone who applied was extended an invite, but perhaps that's not the case this year. 

Congrats on being invited. I think that's a good sign because I was rejected and haven't been invited, and none of the other posters who were rejected mentioned anything about being invited. They must have changed the way they do things since last year.

Do you or anyone else who was accepted, invited for an interview or waitlisted mind saying whether you already have your master's and your stats? I don't have my master's, so I'm curious if anyone who has been accepted, invited or waitlisted doesn't have their master's.

2 minutes ago, welshforjohn said:

Do you or anyone else who was accepted, invited for an interview or waitlisted mind saying whether you already have your master's and your stats? I don't have my master's, so I'm curious if anyone who has been accepted, invited or waitlisted doesn't have their master's.

Invitee here with no masters. PM me if you want to talk more!

4 hours ago, welshforjohn said:

Congrats on being invited. I think that's a good sign because I was rejected and haven't been invited, and none of the other posters who were rejected mentioned anything about being invited. They must have changed the way they do things since last year.

Hi - I was accepted to CUNY and am finishing my MA this semester.