Fall 2016 Applicants

rococo_realism

31 minutes ago, Coolperson said:

Hey guys! Can anyone offer insight on what Art history PhD interviews are like? Anyone here who has had one this application season?

Hey- I haven't had one but from people I have spoken to it can vary quite a bit. From simply discussing your research interests and or answering fairly difficult questions about work that is outside of your field. It is good to have a general knowledge of the works of your POI's as well as others who have worked on research similar to yours so you can demonstrate your knowledge of the field / subject matter. 

19 minutes ago, Ancient Artisan said:

Hey- I haven't had one but from people I have spoken to it can vary quite a bit. From simply discussing your research interests and or answering fairly difficult questions about work that is outside of your field. It is good to have a general knowledge of the works of your POI's as well as others who have worked on research similar to yours so you can demonstrate your knowledge of the field / subject matter. 

Thanks for the info! Super helpful because what I've found on google pertains more to the sciences and people going for entire weekends. Mine is a Skype interview and the time slots allotted are 20 minutes, so I'm thinking what kind of questions they will fit in and what it even means to get a phd interview for art history. Anyway thanks for the reply and any other info from peeps here is much appreciated! 

On 7 February 2016 at 10:30 PM, kaneross said:

I got acceptance at ANU and now have applied for visa. Are you from Australia... I believe domestic students can get acceptance quiet easily than international students? Is that true?

I graduated from Australian uni, and our uni's international population is quite large (22% in a uni of 50,000 students).

It is true that international student fees are about 4x that of domestic students (Compare $AUD 36k vs. $AUD 9k for Engineering). Combined with the super high living costs, yet there's still so much attraction for international students.

Public uni's especially thrive on the funding from international students, so they'd want as many as possible. Hence, I don't believe that it'll be much harder for international students to get in.

3 hours ago, thingii said:

I graduated from Australian uni, and our uni's international population is quite large (22% in a uni of 50,000 students).

It is true that international student fees are about 4x that of domestic students (Compare $AUD 36k vs. $AUD 9k for Engineering). Combined with the super high living costs, yet there's still so much attraction for international students.

Public uni's especially thrive on the funding from international students, so they'd want as many as possible. Hence, I don't believe that it'll be much harder for international students to get in.

Thank you for sharing this information.

I was just wondering that when it comes to award scholarship to international students then obviously they have to be selective. They can ofcourse invite number of applications for self-paid students and the admission process would be easy and quick because of the cash-inflow. But in the case of cash-outflow such as scholarships and funding then normally they fund domestic talent -- This is what I have heard. But then again few people I know have got full scholarships too, the international ones.

Ah yes, I was referring to plain admissions, as you said. And I am inclined to agree with you that scholarships are biased towards domestic students.

However, I haven't done significant research into it, so I'm not too sure.

I had a skype interview with a school last week that I think went very well, and they said that I should hear a response in a few days. I'm open to answering PMs, if anyone has questions about skyping for an interview, or the questions that I was asked. I have another skype interview this Friday with a second school.

Anyone with advice: I received an email from POI congratulating me on acceptance and asking if I have any questions I would like to discuss. Besides asking about future course offerings, is it appropriate to inquire about funding? research opportunities? et cetera. What kind of questions am I expected to ask in this situation?

I would say inquiring about funding and research opportunities is definitely important if you haven't yet done so and if it hasn't been adequately explained on the department's website. I only found out the full extent of research funding during my school visit for one of the programs...it wasn't described in detail on the site or in the grad bulletin, so I'm so glad I asked about it!

Other things I might ask about: how advising works/how often you might be meeting with your advisor...how independent studies credits work...what kind of graduate facilities there are (i.e., cubicles of private library space, kitchen or fridge for students, lockers, keys to the building, etc!)...

15 hours ago, narapre said:

I would say inquiring about funding and research opportunities is definitely important if you haven't yet done so and if it hasn't been adequately explained on the department's website. I only found out the full extent of research funding during my school visit for one of the programs...it wasn't described in detail on the site or in the grad bulletin, so I'm so glad I asked about it!

Other things I might ask about: how advising works/how often you might be meeting with your advisor...how independent studies credits work...what kind of graduate facilities there are (i.e., cubicles of private library space, kitchen or fridge for students, lockers, keys to the building, etc!)...

Excellent questions! I wish I had asked about grad student space and advising. It seems so obvious now. I asked about funding, research trips, GTA/GRA positions for MA students, how often classes meet, current research programs, local collections that they use and that I could review online, and how many students they are accepting. I made sure that this information wasn't clearly listed online before asking about anything. The interview was for a one year, fairly small program, and lasted 20 minutes. If accepted, I think I may reply that I have a few more questions and I will ask some of yours.

58 minutes ago, Ancient Artisan said:

Does anyone know any updates on s nn? 

Has anyone heard anything? 

I applied and have heard nothing. Its been a few months since the deadline hasn't it? 

1 hour ago, Ancient Artisan said:

Does anyone know any updates on Upenn? 

Has anyone heard anything? 

It looks like they usually get back to applicants at the end of February and beginning of March, so I'm sure it will be any day now. It's hard to be patient sometimes though!