Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

On 2/16/2016 at 7:15 AM, katie.lee said:

I applied by the December deadline, but I'm still anxious to hear back! Hopefully you don't have to wait until March to find out.

I applied by December and I haven't heard yet either. Seems they will probably wait until Feb 26 or 29 based on the results page. Who knows! I'm totally not stressed about it at all (cries)

Seriously! I have friends in other disciplines who are getting multiple decisions already (two already putting in deposits, one receiving 4 decisions), and would it be not for this forum, I would be in a panic thinking I got rejections.

It's still quite early (for most schools)!

A few years back, I remember reading a thread where Columbia notified applicants as late as April/May. The larger schools tend to get well over 1,000 applicants and also seem to have a high acceptance followed by a low yield rate (I'm assuming due to the tuition shock once accepted with a paltry scholarship offer). Columbia probably is sifting through all their applications and making their decisions on who to accept, reject outright and to place on a waitlist. Hunter is notoriously slow as well, but they conduct interviews which takes up a lot more time and effort.

But for those those who applied by the priority deadline established by the schools, late February/early to mid March is about the time most schools will issue an admissions decision. I heard back earlier this month from four schools already (Michigan, Chicago, SUNY Buffalo, Boston College) as I applied by 11/20 for all my applications and am waiting on three more schools (Columbia, Hunter, UW-Seattle). However, I'm almost certain I know where I will be attending since one school (whose mission/focus/curriculum is a great fit) offered me a hefty scholarship offer which would actually be cheaper than attending my top in-state choice (Hunter). If Hunter or Columbia gave me a substantial scholarship, I would remain in NYC, but based on past precedents and anecdotal experience, it doesn't seem like this will occur. It would just be nice to know pronto since this is obviously a very stressful time for us all. Ahaha.

Hang in there everyone! Best of luck!

Per Rutger's website:

Decision Notification and Accepting Your Offer

Applicants applying for the Advanced Standing Traditional/On-Campus program are typically informed of a decision between February and April. Most applicants for the fall program are informed of a decision between March and May.  Applicants for the 100% Online and Professional Credit Course Spring start are notified by December. Applicants will be notified of an offer of admission by email and they may also check their status online. Written notification of a change of address must be submitted to the School of Social Work AND the Office of Graduate Admissions.

http://socialwork.rutgers.edu/prospective/MSW_Admissions/DecisionNotificationandAcceptance.aspx

Per Columbia's website:

When is the deadline for Fall 2016 admission, and how do I apply?

The application deadline for Fall 2016 admission is December 1, 2015 (priority) or January 4, 2016 (final). Please see our Application Requirements (PDF: 9 pages) for more information (PDF: 9 pages). Already ready to apply? You may submit your materials to the Columbia School of Social Work’s Online Application Portal. NOTE: Once you have submitted all required items, you can expect to receive an admissions decision on or around March 1, 2016.

http://swadmissions.columbia.edu/frequently-asked-questions-new-york-city-campus/

Just received my acceptance letter for Yeshiva's summer block program!

Unfortunately, as much as I love the program, the merit scholarship that I received ($2000 a year, renewable) is not enough to place it over my top choice. However, the admissions department and the program are both quite amazing, and I do recommend the program to others if they haven't looked into it. It's a pity that their website lacks so much information; talking to the admissions department over the phone told me more about the program than browsing online.

I applied to Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work's One Year Residency Program. I submitted my application on February 1st and my application was officially filed as complete on February 10th. I am beyond anxious and obsessively checking my account for a status update. Has anyone else applied to Hunter?

Edited by futureMSWcommunityactivist
Wrong punctuation

21 minutes ago, tudor3x8 said:

Just received my acceptance letter for Yeshiva's summer block program!

Unfortunately, as much as I love the program, the merit scholarship that I received ($2000 a year, renewable) is not enough to place it over my top choice. However, the admissions department and the program are both quite amazing, and I do recommend the program to others if they haven't looked into it. It's a pity that their website lacks so much information; talking to the admissions department over the phone told me more about the program than browsing online.

Congrats Tudor! Can you tell us a bit more about the Summer Block Program? I wonder what it is. Is it a two year program starting in Summer this year?

7 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Congrats Tudor! Can you tell us a bit more about the Summer Block Program? I wonder what it is. Is it a two year program starting in Summer this year?

Thanks! It's a program where you complete your courses in the summer and do your fieldwork during the academic year. I was interested in it because then I could work in during the academic year, which she said was the reason that many students chose the program. You'd do three summers in class and two academic years of fieldwork.

18 minutes ago, tudor3x8 said:

Thanks! It's a program where you complete your courses in the summer and do your fieldwork during the academic year. I was interested in it because then I could work in during the academic year, which she said was the reason that many students chose the program. You'd do three summers in class and two academic years of fieldwork.

Wow this program sounds so interesting and I agree that whoever join this program would have a bandwidth to work at least part time during the academic year. Thanks again Tudor for explaining to us.

55 minutes ago, futureMSWcommunityactivist said:

I applied to Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work's One Year Residency Program. I submitted my application on February 1st and my application was officially filed as complete on February 10th. I am beyond anxious and obsessively checking my account for a status update. Has anyone else applied to Hunter?

I also applied to Hunter, but apparently they did not start reviewing applications until the deadline (Feb 1) and have so many to look over. I'm assuming we will not hear back from them for a bit because they do have to do the group interviews as well.

1 minute ago, alyssak112 said:

I also applied to Hunter, but apparently they did not start reviewing applications until the deadline (Feb 1) and have so many to look over. I'm assuming we will not hear back from them for a bit because they do have to do the group interviews as well.

Thank you for this update! The deadline for the OYR program is April 1st, but I submitted my application two months in advance. Anxious me thought that they might review my application now as opposed to closer to the April deadline.

What program did you apply for @alyssak112?

1 hour ago, Opt4theBest said:

Wow this program sounds so interesting and I agree that whoever join this program would have a bandwidth to work at least part time during the academic year. Thanks again Tudor for explaining to us.

Of course! We all got to share whatever useful information we have. :) Yeshiva's program is definitely underrated (or perhaps just not well known?), and I'd hope that future applicants would be able to take a look at this program in the future.

If I got rejected from UChicago, do you think it's possible for me to get into Columbia and UW-Seattle? I have a 3.3 overall GPA(3.8 Social work major GPA), 4+ years working in nonprofits, and I currently work at an international NGO in Southern India. I know that my GPA isn't amazing, but I felt like my essay, references, and experiences were enough to compensate. Honestly, I was pretty surprised by the rejection and now I'm terrified that I won't get into my first choice- UW. What do you guys think? Hopefully I'll find out soon!

Edited by katie.lee

I don't see why it WOULDN'T be possible to get into those programs. None of us applicants can predict how admissions' committees make their decisions, and there are a multitude of factors that go into selecting candidates. It's understandable to be caught off guard by that news, but do not lose hope yet. 

37 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I don't see why it WOULDN'T be possible to get into those programs. None of us applicants can predict how admissions' committees make their decisions, and there are a multitude of factors that go into selecting candidates. It's understandable to be caught off guard by that news, but do not lose hope yet. 

Thanks for the encouragement! I can always try again next year if things don't work out. *sigh*

I hope it's okay to introduce myself so late in the game! I'm 27 and will be graduating with my BSW in May. I've applied to only one advanced standing MSW program - Chico State in California - and I've been doing okay with the wait so far but tonight a serious case of anxiety hit. I'm really glad to have found this forum! Has anyone else here applied to Chico? I applied to the gerontology program and heard from them that only ~1/3 of people get accepted. Not bad odds, but I'm still stressed over it. If I can get accepted this time around, the VA will cover my tuition, so that's a huge reason to hope for acceptance. Glad I'm not alone!

On 2/18/2016 at 0:29 PM, futureMSWcommunityactivist said:

Thank you for this update! The deadline for the OYR program is April 1st, but I submitted my application two months in advance. Anxious me thought that they might review my application now as opposed to closer to the April deadline.

What program did you apply for @alyssak112?

I applied to the full time MSW program so it may be different, but I still think they are just starting to review apps. 

On 2/22/2016 at 3:31 PM, jwde2009 said:

I received my acceptance letter from University of Denver today and from University of Kentucky a few days ago! Still waiting to hear back from the big three (Washington, Wash U, Michigan) and Texas!

I remember seeing on UWashington's application checklist that we would hear back by the end of February.  I wonder if this still holds.  Has anyone heard a more recent estimate?

On 2/22/2016 at 5:23 PM, ediblestranger said:

I remember seeing on UWashington's application checklist that we would hear back by the end of February.  I wonder if this still holds.  Has anyone heard a more recent estimate?

Still waiting on UWashington! I think that we should hear by the end of this week.

12 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

I received my acceptance to the University of Denver today, too! I received a scholarship with it, but am hoping for more. As of currently, I'm set on U of Michigan. 

What is your GPA for undergrad, if you don't mind sharing? I am waiting for DU...just curious of my odds. Thanks!