Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

38 minutes ago, kjackson said:

I got off the waitlist for 2-year clinical stream at University of Calgary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I'm literally shaking and crying I am SO excited!

Congratulations, I am so happy for you! I told you not to worry about it too much! :)

1 hour ago, T. said:

Long time lurker here. I'm seeking some advice from the wonderful and supportive people on this forum.

I was accepted into the full-time 2 year MSW programs at York, Laurier and Calgary. I'm leaning toward Laurier for various reasons but my acceptance is "conditional". They need me to finish an online research methods course with a B+ or better. I was accepted into the other two programs without conditions.

My question is this: I know that it's a bit of a jerk move, but is it okay to accept two offers? If I accept Laurier only and I don't finish the online research methods course in time (which is very possible since I've been procrastinating for 5 months), then I risk not going to grad school at all. I was thinking it might make sense to accept another school as well, as a back-up. 

All of the letters I received specifically instruct me NOT to accept multiple offers, but I don't think it would be in my best interest to follow that rule. 

Thoughts?

I think that accepting two offers is a jerk move because it messes with other people's future, but I'm also on Laurier's waitlist...soooo....lol 

1 minute ago, JHC said:

I think that accepting two offers is a jerk move because it messes with other people's future, but I'm also on Laurier's waitlist...soooo....lol 

Agreed. Accepting two offers potentially makes another candidate lose a spot. 

6 minutes ago, Ed07ti said:

Hey everyone, 

I got waitlisted at u of t aswell. I honestly thought i would get in lol and was surprised by this must be very competitive. 

I have two ba honors; 

Western - Politics (deans list)

York U - Psychology (8.6/7) cumaltive GPA ( got A+ in stats 1 and 2 , A in research methods, and A+ in advanced research methods)

Currently working as a Supervisor of a homeless shelter that houses 50 individuals. 

was an addictions counsellor in the past with Youth. So in total 2 years of experience working with the homeless population. 

I dont have time to volunteer since i work 80+ hours every two weeks. But did tutor stats at York and did some research assistant work for Child Development institute. 

In regards to the waitlist it says it is not ranked? So how do they determine who they will pick off the list? Is it just a random name pulled out of the hat lol? Seems pretty sketchy to me. 

Thanks.

What I understood from the letter is once spots open up, they review everyone's app's again on the waitlist and determine it from there. 
However I truly think the applications on the waitlist are ranked, and they're just saying they're not so they don't receive 50+ phone calls. 

1 minute ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

What I understood from the letter is once spots open up, they review everyone's app's again on the waitlist and determine it from there. 
However I truly think the applications on the waitlist are ranked, and they're just saying they're not so they don't receive 50+ phone calls. 

I think so too. I think they know who they want and just avoid endless phone calls and emails. 

1 minute ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I think so to. To reconsider everyone each time a spot opens would be a waste of their time and illogical. I'm sure they know whose next on the list

Just got home and got my U of T letter in the mail too. I am also on the waiting list for the 2 year MSW program. Really hoping to get into the program. It's the only one I applied to because I really want the gerontology specialization they offer, and made sure to put that in my application.

So the waiting game continues...

Good luck everyone who's on the list or still waiting to hear from the school(s) they applied to!

2 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

Agreed. Accepting two offers potentially makes another candidate lose a spot. 

@T. Although I agree that accepting two offers sucks for other people, if it's in your best interest I would think its something you COULD do. Esp if you think there's a good chance you won't finish that research methods course. It would be awful for you, as a good candidate, to not get in over something like that. I also think that in a few months you'll definitively accept one offer and let the other school that you accepted know, at which point the candidate that initally lost out will receive an acceptance. Right? It will just be later. 

Edited by msw.ang

On 4/1/2016 at 4:54 PM, rabschaud said:

Hey! I'm not 100% sure how the collaborative programs work, but my sister applied for the MSW/JD one at UofT 7 years ago and was assessed on both together (she was rejected from both and was given one letter). This is why I assume that they take both into consideration when accepting; however, I am not sure if this is still the case today! Best of luck!

Do you think it's possible to get accepted to the MSW program then but not the combined or collaborative one? Or is it that you must get accepted to both?

Thanks so much!

6 hours ago, sam94 said:

I am not a windsor students but I log into myUWindsor and logon with the account details i got from when I sent my application in and its under applications. 

Thanks for the info! I actually logged on for the first time today and my application status says "application with CEPE". I never would have found out how to login if it wasn't for your post (despite even emailing the admissions people and asking if an online portal exists). They really need to make their portal more visible to applicants! Anyway, thanks again! :)

5 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

So to me it seems like a lot of people were placed on the waitlist. Or maybe we're all keeners on here? hahaha! 

No uoft have a massive waitlist...i personally think it's terrible that they waitlist so many people. 

I just checked the mail and still nothing from u of t....wtf. I live like 40 min from U of T, why is it taking so long??!!

6 hours ago, JHC said:

That's completely fair - thank you for your thoughts 

7 minutes ago, T. said:

That's completely fair - thank you for your thoughts 

It is not a jerk move. It is sometimes hard to decide especially when you are uncertain. I say accept both. The way i see it is they may not even move the waitlist until deposits are due anyways. I say do what is best for you. Life is like that sometimes. Do not jeopardize yourself because a few people on here are also being selfish by telling u it is a jerk move. Them telling you that is a jerk move.

Edited by MSW-UofT

hi - good luck to all waiting to hear back from schools! 

i'm here to ask for others opinions on a decision i had to make... while waiting to hear back from schools i was offered a 1yr contract in a counselling position. i have a lot of experience working with children and families but none doing direct clinical work with children and families so i was pretty eager to gain some skills/knowledge/experience in this specific field. i'm also 22 and not even a year out of my undergrad. so, i made the decision to commit to this position and have decided to re-apply next year to all of the schools i applied to this year. shortly after making this decision i found out i was accepted at my 1st choice school. i declined the offer and am planning on re-applying for next fall.

does declining an offer of admission to a particular school influence my future applications? sometimes i have nightmares that i won't be accepted next fall cause they will be like HA you should have accepted your offer when you had the chance

Does anyone know the differences between Laurier and Toronto's 2-year MSW programs? They both seem to have a clinical focus.. as opposed to York's anti-oppressive social justice framework. Anyone else have any insight on the difference between the two programs?

5 hours ago, karlyrk said:

i'm here to ask for others opinions on a decision i had to make... while waiting to hear back from schools i was offered a 1yr contract in a counselling position. i have a lot of experience working with children and families but none doing direct clinical work with children and families so i was pretty eager to gain some skills/knowledge/experience in this specific field. i'm also 22 and not even a year out of my undergrad. so, i made the decision to commit to this position and have decided to re-apply next year to all of the schools i applied to this year. shortly after making this decision i found out i was accepted at my 1st choice school. i declined the offer and am planning on re-applying for next fall.

does declining an offer of admission to a particular school influence my future applications? sometimes i have nightmares that i won't be accepted next fall cause they will be like HA you should have accepted your offer when you had the chance

Holy shit!! That sounds like an amazing opportunity! I wish I was as successful when I was 22 haha!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get a counseling position out of your undergrad? I was under the impression that you need an MSW to do counseling.

It is a tough call, but it seems that it would be immature to reject you because you didn't accept. Why don't you explain the situation and see if they could let you defer. Or just explain so that they know that you didn't just choose another school?

Edited by CalendarGirl

13 hours ago, AnnInTO said:

Thanks for the info! I actually logged on for the first time today and my application status says "application with CEPE". I never would have found out how to login if it wasn't for your post (despite even emailing the admissions people and asking if an online portal exists). They really need to make their portal more visible to applicants! Anyway, thanks again! :)

Im glad you got on! Do you know what that status means? Hope you find out soon, feel like many of us are waiting for Windsor. 

On 4/5/2016 at 1:49 PM, Applicant#1000 said:

Just saw someone received a rejection letter from UofT's 2 year MSW program today on the results page. So looks like the rejection and waitlists letters have been mailed out. Does that mean all the waves of acceptance have been done?

According to the letter I got yesterday, they have offered 140 acceptances to people (that's all of them) already, and I believe that was the last wave of rejections to be sent out. Everyone else's letters have been mailed. The exceptions are those that are on the waitlist, and those individuals will hear back any time between now and september whether or not a spot has opened up for them specifically.

5 hours ago, msw.ang said:

Does anyone know the differences between Laurier and Toronto's 2-year MSW programs? They both seem to have a clinical focus.. as opposed to York's anti-oppressive social justice framework. Anyone else have any insight on the difference between the two programs?

From what i've heard, Laurier is a lot more clinically focused and less research focused than U of T. U of T has a strong focus on research within their program (even though they are a clinical program as well, just less so than Laurier). I believe Laurier's class sizes are also smaller. 

9 hours ago, karlyrk said:

That is a great position you never know though applying next year because it is so competitive. Can't ypu defer your offer for 1 year. I kno uoft allows you. I am not sure of other school.