Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

3 hours ago, sociologyapp2016 said:

Do you mean to ask, "Is the subject contextualized into a semantic desublimation that includes sexuality as a totality? If so, and assuming that postdeconstructivist appropriation holds, must we choose between semantic desublimation and patriarchialist postcapitalist theory? Likewise, one must posit the question, is the subject contextualized into a premodern discourse that includes consciousness as a totality?

How did you get access to my statement?!?

I think so. Of the places I've applied to, the earliest I'll hear back is mid-February. The latest is one school that says mid-April. Others are scattered in between.

Someone told me that they publicize the latest possible date though. That they'll let their first choices know as soon as possible. Sort of their A, B, and C choices in that order with rejections going out by the publicized date. 

That said, I have zero clue if that's true at all. I'm just going by the deadline each school posts.

21 hours ago, tdwightdavis said:

It feels like this is really early to be hearing back. Is that accurate?

It's normal to get interview weekend things for schools who do that around this time, being that that requires a bit more scheduling. As for other things, it varies so much year to year it's not worth wagering. There may be a long, drawn out, tedious debate over which candidates are accepted by faculty one year, and the next it just be crystal clear. There may be epic snowstorms that shut down university activity one year, and not a dash of snow the next. The chair may come down with the flu one year. I know it's so stressful waiting, but there's no alternative. It might be a good time to take up a meditation practice if you don't already have one.

Edited by theophany

Catholic University of America also sent out interview invites this past week. My sense is that many schools which conduct interviews generally interview sometime in February, but different places have different dates. Mid to late March seems to be the time that many schools notify of acceptance, waitlist, and rejection, although again, it will vary. You can check the results search to get a sense of when programs have sent out notifications in past years and how they notify (snail mail, email, website).

On 1/13/2016 at 0:02 PM, theophany said:

It's normal to get interview weekend things for schools who do that around this time, being that that requires a bit more scheduling. As for other things, it varies so much year to year it's not worth wagering. There may be a long, drawn out, tedious debate over which candidates are accepted by faculty one year, and the next it just be crystal clear. There may be epic snowstorms that shut down university activity one year, and not a dash of snow the next. The chair may come down with the flu one year. I know it's so stressful waiting, but there's no alternative. It might be a good time to take up a meditation practice if you don't already have one.

Thanks. I did get an interview at Baylor, so I'm not nearly as stressed out as I was this time last year when I hadn't heard anything (and ended up getting all rejections). I was just curious because I felt like this was super early to have heard back. I remember my friends who did get in last year didn't really start hearing anything until late Jan. / early Feb.

1 minute ago, Tug_on_my_ said:

Good news: Duke contacted me and said I will be interviewing. I am super excited since I feel like Duke is the best place for me to study Race and Theology.

Can I ask when you were contacted?

46 minutes ago, Tug_on_my_ said:

Good news: Duke contacted me and said I will be interviewing. I am super excited since I feel like Duke is the best place for me to study Race and Theology.

Good for you! Although bad for me!

I am going the more linguistic route with HB and ANE, so looking into mostly Comparative Semitics and/or OT Against Its Cultural Backdrop kind of programs. I have applied to UofTexas, UofChicago, Johns Hopkins, Catholic, and Emory. Never got the video email from Emory that Abdelazar mentioned. Nor was I invited to Catholic for interviews! Anyway, I'm running myself ragged and need to remember no news (at this point) is good news... right?

Best of Luck to you all!

Another question:

I just noticed that someone says that they got an interview at Boston College for the theology PhD on January 11, but the application deadline wasn't until January 15. Is this something that happens? I didn't even submit my application until January 11...

Just now, tdwightdavis said:

Another question:

I just noticed that someone says that they got an interview at Boston College for the theology PhD on January 11, but the application deadline wasn't until January 15. Is this something that happens? I didn't even submit my application until January 11...

Probably someone listing an informal meeting or phone conversation.

People do get invites for interviews before application deadlines at some schools.  I found that out at CUA last year.  I submitted the day of the deadline, maybe one day early.  Two days later got an email "By now you should have received your invitation for the interview event....blah blah."  I was so confused by it that I called to talk to somebody and they said "Oh yeah, we sent those out to select applicants, but it looks like you applied so late that you missed the earlier communications."  I guess some departments begin reviewing applications as they come in, rather than waiting until the deadline?  

16 hours ago, pmajor said:

I am going the more linguistic route with HB and ANE, so looking into mostly Comparative Semitics and/or OT Against Its Cultural Backdrop kind of programs. I have applied to UofTexas, UofChicago, Johns Hopkins, Catholic, and Emory. Never got the video email from Emory that Abdelazar mentioned. Nor was I invited to Catholic for interviews! Anyway, I'm running myself ragged and need to remember no news (at this point) is good news... right?

Best of Luck to you all!

I applied to CUA (5 years ago) and was accepted to their Semitics program (no interview). So something might've changed or simply the semitics dept. does things differently. Good luck! :)