Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

18 minutes ago, bertochalaco said:

I was invited to interview as a finalist at Duke Th.D. in an email late last night by Ross Wagner (no particular POI, field of study theology). I know this is always bittersweet for everyone so blessing to all of you as you keep waiting!

Congrats! Although i didn't get any interview offer at Duke Ph.D. (modernity subfield), I'm happy for you! 

Disappointment hit me so hard, but  I guess it's time to move on :) 

7 hours ago, staplerinjello said:

For those interested, I just got a reply from UVa. They say they concluded their meeting yesterday and we should be hearing from them early next week.

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed. I'll spend my weekend convincing myself if I don't hear anything Monday, then "early network" means Monday-Thursday. 

What program did you apply for?

2 hours ago, bertochalaco said:

I was invited to interview as a finalist at Duke Th.D. in an email late last night by Ross Wagner (no particular POI, field of study theology). I know this is always bittersweet for everyone so blessing to all of you as you keep waiting!

Awesome! Do you know if this is a competitive interview? Is it on campus? I didn't know the ThD did interviews. The reason I'm asking is just out of plain curiosity (I somehow won the Power Ball and have been invited to Duke for their PhD preview weekend!)

I have been watching the thread and figured others applying to the same schools as me might be watching, so I'll give a few bits of info that may be relevant to someone.

Boston College Historical Theology department has finalized their decisions. The students who are getting offers will hear on Monday.

Just now, Laodiceans said:

Congrats! Same questions I asked above: Do you know if this is a competitive interview? Is it on campus?

Laodiceans: it is a Skype interview, and it is competitive.

2 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

Best of luck! When is it?

He just said they would like to schedule it sometime in the next few weeks. Thankfully, I am going to have a busy next few weeks of interviews.

3 hours ago, Esei_John said:

Congrats! Although i didn't get any interview offer at Duke Ph.D. (modernity subfield), I'm happy for you! 

Disappointment hit me so hard, but  I guess it's time to move on :) 

I hear you. While Baylor is and has been my first choice, I certainly did not want to get rejected from Duke's PhD.

1 hour ago, _PATRISTICS_ said:

I have been watching the thread and figured others applying to the same schools as me might be watching, so I'll give a few bits of info that may be relevant to someone.

Boston College Historical Theology department has finalized their decisions. The students who are getting offers will hear on Monday.

Do you know if this is true for systematics as well?

3 hours ago, turktheman said:

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed. I'll spend my weekend convincing myself if I don't hear anything Monday, then "early network" means Monday-Thursday. 

What program did you apply for?

You're welcome. I applied for SIP. You? Best of luck!

Edited by staplerinjello

1 hour ago, RD_Paul said:

I hear you. While Baylor is and has been my first choice, I certainly did not want to get rejected from Duke's PhD.

What is drawing you to Baylor?

29 minutes ago, staplerinjello said:

You're welcome. I applied for SIP. You? Best of luck!

JCA to work with Spittler. We shall see! Best of luck to you as well

56 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

Do you know if this is true for systematics as well?

It might. The contact I have at BC said that he knew the historical theology faculty needed to have all their selections determined and submitted to the theology chair by Friday because he makes the calls out to the accepted students. This makes me feel like it is department wide but it is very possible it isn't. Furthermore, I am not sure that all concentrations are conducting interviews. So my short answer is-- I don't know. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Laodiceans said:

Awesome! Do you know if this is a competitive interview? Is it on campus? I didn't know the ThD did interviews. The reason I'm asking is just out of plain curiosity (I somehow won the Power Ball and have been invited to Duke for their PhD preview weekend!)

It was not clear if it was a competitive interview, I have been trying to figure that out. I did not even bother applying for the Duke Ph.D. (deadline came up on me a bit too quick!). The interview is over skype (which I was bummed about). Congrats to you about the PhD preview weekend!

3 hours ago, turktheman said:

What is drawing you to Baylor?

JCA to work with Spittler. We shall see! Best of luck to you as well

It's a really great program; up and coming for sure, but well on its way. This is especially true for Paul, with both Longenecker and Gaventa there.

24 minutes ago, JN527 said:

RD_Paul, where did you do your master's degree?

At my (small) denominational seminary, which I thought might hinder me in this process, but it hasn't turned out to have done so thus far. I think that it has actually turned out to be a strength.

3 hours ago, bertochalaco said:

It was not clear if it was a competitive interview, I have been trying to figure that out. I did not even bother applying for the Duke Ph.D. (deadline came up on me a bit too quick!). The interview is over skype (which I was bummed about). Congrats to you about the PhD preview weekend!

@RD_Paul says it is competitive. I know they have a few spots for the ThD though so hopefully you both receive offers!

My advice: You have to have interests to be interesting and you have already outlined those in your SOPs and writing samples. So unless they ask you to elaborate on your current research interests, don't talk about yourself. They obviously are already intrigued with your interests so you don't need to beat a dead horse unless they specifically and directly ask you to beat it. Remember that they are looking for students. That is, be teachable and be able to articulate what you anticipate being able to learn from the faculty that complements your previous education (i.e., strengthens the gaps and weaknesses in your previous training). Don't come off like you're already a Dr. Be a student. Also, be personable. They are also trying to figure out who they want in their offices for the next 4-6 years. No matter how scholarly you are, they don't want to invite a jackass or someone who would just be unbearable to sit and chat with. So just be the awesome humans that you are and don't present yourselves as the future scholar you think you will become or think they want. Be a normal human. But again, this is obviously just my advice. Take it or leave it. Add some salt or pepper to it. Or maybe just a grain of salt.

3 hours ago, bertochalaco said:

Wagner told me that they are indeed competitive.

29 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:
29 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

It's a really great program; up and coming for sure, but well on its way. This is especially true for Paul, with both Longenecker and Gaventa there.

(Sorry for the double quote; no idea how to undo this)

Is Gaventa not retiring soon? She's near 70, but then again Charlesworth is still chugging along. I know Adela Yarboro Collins retired from Yale last year. They haven't replaced her yet. Longenecker though would be exciting. 

1 minute ago, turktheman said:

Is Gaventa not retiring soon? She's near 70, but then again Charlesworth is still chugging along. I know Adela Yarboro Collins retired from Yale last year. They haven't replaced her yet. Longenecker though would be exciting. 

I've spoken with her quite a lot, and that doesn't seem to be on her radar. She seems like she would be an excellent person to work with. Longenecker too.