Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

@hswg, I can't speak to the specifics of Princeton but this is a standard part of the process. Individual admissions committees recommend candidates for admission, and the process gets finalized a few days or weeks later when the graduate school makes the final determination. Except in unusual circumstances, a graduate school will almost always accept the decision of the admissions committee, provided you meet the minimum requirements (GPA, etc) set by the school. 

Congratulations, it sounds like you got in!

Edited by Samahito

4 hours ago, hswg said:

Hi, I'm new here but saw a question I thought I might respond to earlier in the thread--and at the same time ask some questions of my own. I think I got an unofficial acceptance from Princeton (RitA) over the weekend--said I was strongly recommended by the subfield and department but that the Grad School had the final say in sending out official acceptances. Does anyone know about this part of the process? And if so, how many candidates they recommend per subfield? I appreciate any insight!

Thanks for saying this, helps to kind of know where I stand. Congratulations! Nice to see others in American religion here.

Some people have received rejection letter emails from Emory for HB, but I haven't and I know of at least one other person who hasn't yet. Possibly they are waiting to see if first round acceptances accept their offers?

2 hours ago, Abdelazar said:

Some people have received rejection letter emails from Emory for HB, but I haven't and I know of at least one other person who hasn't yet. Possibly they are waiting to see if first round acceptances accept their offers?

I applied and haven't received a rejection yet either.  To be honest, though, I'm expecting it.  I've kinda made my peace with it.

1 hour ago, Tha-Boy said:

REJECTED FROM CHICAGO, WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ooh.. I'm really sorry to hear that .. Wish you a good luck for the rest. Anyways, could I ask how did you get the decision? Cause I also applied to Chicago. Socio of R. subfield. 

19 hours ago, bertochalaco said:

Just got an email indicating I am on the Waiting List at University of Virginia (TEC deparment). 

@bertochalaco Great job getting on the waiting list! Wishing you the best in getting in, UVA has such an awesome program. Thus far I've heard nothing from the TEC department, which is too bad, 'cause I assume that means I'm not being considered at all.

Hey folks, so, I got an interview at Marquette (Systematics/Ethics) scheduled for this Monday - anyone else doing the same? I know this is something new for them, as this is the second year they're doing interviews - if you've done it in the past, any tips?  

Thus far: 1r/0w/0a of 6 (Northwestern)

On February 12, 2016 at 5:30 AM, _PATRISTICS_ said:

I have an interview today with the Historical Theology faculty at Marquette via Skype. Anyone else interviewing with them today?

@_PATRISTICS_ I interview with them on Monday (15th), well, not Historical... but Systematics. How was the interview? Did you just have the Historical faculty or was it mixed?

20 hours ago, Tha-Boy said:

It was an email to check the website. I also applied to an MA in Middle Eastern Studies there, so that destination isn't necessarily out of the picture.... I hope you get in!

Thanks @Tha-Boy
I believe it is such a great job getting short-listed at JHU. Wishing you the best in getting in your dream program :)

Edited by Esei_John

On February 13, 2016 at 3:48 PM, drivingthoughts said:

@_PATRISTICS_ I interview with them on Monday (15th), well, not Historical... but Systematics. How was the interview? Did you just have the Historical faculty or was it mixed?

Mine was just historical faculty but one or two were missing (I think some of the ones not there are currently directing too many dissertations so don't get new students). It was alright. I just talked to my POI for 15 min about a theologians and then it was over. it was weird and rushed.

So, I was despairingly logging in to my Cardinal Station account for CUA, and noticed that new things magically appeared overnight... and that I had a "Student Number"

Does this mean anything? Still no word about acceptance. Basically, does a CUA ID mean anything?

7 hours ago, pmajor said:

So, I was despairingly logging in to my Cardinal Station account for CUA, and noticed that new things magically appeared overnight... and that I had a "Student Number"

Does this mean anything? Still no word about acceptance. Basically, does a CUA ID mean anything?

@pmajor It might mean something, but I don't think that it does - several schools I applied to did something similar. Marquette even gives you an e-mail address and a login to the registration system shortly after you apply. I don't know about CUA specifically, but when I read your post, that is what I assumed. 

Either way, I hope it means something good is coming to you soon!

I can't tell you what that means exactly, @pmajor, but I do know this:

When I applied and interviewed, a week or so after interviews, my cardinal station thing basically stopped working.  It would let me log in, but nothing else would work.  Unfortunately it took maybe three weeks before I found out I didn't get in, but I suspect my cardinal station malfunction may have been a hint.  That's 100% speculation, but if I'm right, I'd take it as at least a not bad sign on your end.  

Hang in there!  The waiting sucks!