Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

27 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

At my (small) denominational seminary, which I thought might hinder me in this process, but it hasn't turned out to have done so thus far. I think that it has actually turned out to be a strength.

That's encouraging.  I have a similar background, and similar exam scores as you.  I thought that meant I had meager chances.  I think I have great LORs and a solid SOP - so, your story encourages me in that my educational pedigree won't necessarily do me in from the start.  I'm not applying to Duke or any of the top-tier programs (mostly just second-tier).

Edited by JN527

13 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

I've spoken with her quite a lot, and that doesn't seem to be on her radar. She seems like she would be an excellent person to work with. Longenecker too.

Nice, the longevity of that cohort of scholars is really impressive. Bad for those looking for tenured positions, but imagine the luxury of teaching for close to 50 years. 

3 hours ago, turktheman said:

Does anyone have information about when to expect interview notifications from Marquette, CUA, or Fordham? I know Marquette does Skype interviews, but what about CUA and Fordham?

I don't know about Marquette or Fordham, but I know that CUA sent out invites for their interview weekend, which was then cancelled due to the huge storm in D.C.  People invited to the weekend are being told to schedule interviews via Skype but as far as I know, many of those still haven't even been scheduled.  

12 minutes ago, fides quarens intellectum said:

I don't know about Marquette or Fordham, but I know that CUA sent out invites for their interview weekend, which was then cancelled due to the huge storm in D.C.  People invited to the weekend are being told to schedule interviews via Skype but as far as I know, many of those still haven't even been scheduled.  

Is that from the Religion dept? Or the Semitics dept?

My friend who was invited was in Systematics, though I know that last year all fields interviewed at the same time, as I was invited and attended.  So I'd assume it's for any program housed within the School of Theology and Religious Studies, because that's how they did it last year.

2 minutes ago, fides quarens intellectum said:

My friend who was invited was in Systematics, though I know that last year all fields interviewed at the same time, as I was invited and attended.  So I'd assume it's for any program housed within the School of Theology and Religious Studies, because that's how they did it last year.

That's not entirely discouraging for me! I didn't receive an invite, but the Semitics dept is not under the Religion School. Thanks for being the bearer of "not immediately bad" news.

15 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could offer some insight on the reputation of UPenn's religious studies program.  Is it well regarded?  Thanks

I don't know know anything about it. It looks like a small program based on the website (only like 5 or 6 professors). Anthea Butler teaches there and she's a boss.

12 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Flying down to Baylor this weekend, and I have my Skype interview with Emory tomorrow! Big week ahead. 

Hoping to hear from Notre Dame soon too...

Looking forward to meeting you in person this weekend. Getting pretty nervous waiting on other phone calls/emails and anticipating this interview this weekend.

15 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

Looking forward to meeting you in person this weekend. Getting pretty nervous waiting on other phone calls/emails and anticipating this interview this weekend.

Same to you!

13 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Anyone else going to Baylor?

I applied to the Theological Studies subfield and got waitlisted today.  So, to all who are being interviewed in theology this weekend, if Baylor isn't your top choice, please decline if they give you an offer! I'd love to be there.

1 hour ago, JN527 said:

I applied to the Theological Studies subfield and got waitlisted today.  So, to all who are being interviewed in theology this weekend, if Baylor isn't your top choice, please decline if they give you an offer! I'd love to be there.

Where all did you apply?

4 hours ago, tdwightdavis said:

I don't know know anything about it. It looks like a small program based on the website (only like 5 or 6 professors). Anthea Butler teaches there and she's a boss.

Word thank you. Been trying to find more info on the program as I have an interview next week. 

11 hours ago, tdwightdavis said:

The struggle is real today to not email Vanderbilt and find out if I'm still being considered.

YES It really was. I'm seriously considering emailing to POI at UNC and U of Chicago DIV. If I'm out of the game, that means I don't need to prepare the interviews; because the rest doesn't have interview session. 

7 hours ago, staplerinjello said:

Got an update on my application from the UVA website. This was followed by an email with details on my offer.

What subfield did you apply for? I'm trying to figure out if they send all their offers at once or if it's different for every subfield. 

1 hour ago, tdwightdavis said:

Seems like they all go out at once then since there's people from JCA getting acceptances too. Oh well. Congrats!

Has anyone gotten rejections? I applied to TEC and have checked my application twice today, with no changes to report.