Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

I can confirm that invitations to Notre Dame's History of Christianity interview weekend went out at noon today. Someone has already posted this info in the results search, and it wasn't me, if that adds an extra layer of confirmation. Sorry for those of you for whom this is a disappointment, but I hope the knowledge is also in some ways a merciful relief (I know it would be for me).

In other news, I know that BC Historical Theology has done their interviews, but I do not know if they have extended their offers yet. I was told only that we would hear in "very early February."

1 minute ago, _anonymous_ said:

I can confirm that invitations to Notre Dame's History of Christianity interview weekend went out at noon today. Someone has already posted this info in the results search, and it wasn't me, if that adds an extra layer of confirmation. Sorry for those of you for whom this is a disappointment, but I hope the knowledge is also in some ways a merciful relief (I know it would be for me).

In other news, I know that BC Historical Theology has done their interviews, but I do not know if they have extended their offers yet. I was told only that we would hear in "very early February."

Do you happen to know if all concentration areas' interviews are out?

Honestly, I don't know. The email was from the DGS, though he's also in History of Christianity, and it was not at all specific to History of Christianity. It was all "Department of Theology" language. But I don't think that necessarily means all the interviews were sent out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

38 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Well, it looks like I didn't get an interview at ND, but four interviews out of six apps ain't bad!

Good luck to everyone else!

That is actually very good! Are all your interviews competitive?

So, as one who didn't get any interviews, could someone explain the difference between competitive and non-competitive interviews? For my enrichment.

20 minutes ago, pmajor said:

So, as one who didn't get any interviews, could someone explain the difference between competitive and non-competitive interviews? For my enrichment.

Competitive interviews are when the institution invites more people to interview than what they have spots for so the interview is a make or break kind of a thing. Vanderbilt is like this and so is Duke's ThD. Duke PhD through the GPR, however, does non-competitive "interviews." Meaning, they fly out their top candidates and the candidates are not competing for a spot. They have it if they want it. The interview weekend is more like a preview weekend where they try to convince the candidates to choose Duke instead of any other offers they may have. I'm not sure who else does these kind of non-competitive interviews. 

It seems like UT (Toronto) has notified their informal acceptance yesterday, at least to some of them according to the result page.  Can anyone claim this?? I also applied to UT, and there was none of the phone call/email... and application page still says "under review" 

1 hour ago, Esei_John said:

It seems like UT (Toronto) has notified their informal acceptance yesterday, at least to some of them according to the result page.  Can anyone claim this?? I also applied to UT, and there was none of the phone call/email... and application page still says "under review" 

I am abroad now with no access to my phone but the results page says official acceptances come out Monday so I guess we will know in a few days. 

My UT application page likewise says under review 

Edited by ibnbattuta

Just now, ibnbattuta said:

I am abroad now with no access to my phone but the results page says official acceptances come out Monday so I guess we will know in a few days. 

Yeah I know, but I heard some of UT subfields give some informal notification in advance to the official date.  just like what result poster have been given. So, i was wondered about poster's subfield and so on. 

15 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

Still, that many interviews is great. Out of 7 applications I have 1 interview.

Thanks! I don't know about you, but I'm really looking forward to BU. Who is your POI, by the way?

47 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Thanks! I don't know about you, but I'm really looking forward to BU. Who is your POI, by the way?

Barry Harvey is who I've talked to quite a bit, both through email and we met up for awhile at AAR in November. I'm also interested in working with Carnes and Tran there as well.

2 hours ago, Esei_John said:

Yeah I know, but I heard some of UT subfields give some informal notification in advance to the official date.  just like what result poster have been given. So, i was wondered about poster's subfield and so on. 

Hi! I posted about UT. My subfield is Religion, Culture, and Politics - I'm hoping to work with Klassen and Coleman. I was notified by O'Neill though, since he is Director of Graduate Studies. 

26 minutes ago, RW1823 said:

Hi! I posted about UT. My subfield is Religion, Culture, and Politics - I'm hoping to work with Klassen and Coleman. I was notified by O'Neill though, since he is Director of Graduate Studies. 

Wow ! Congrats. I also applied to RCP track. Do you know how many spots they offer? I also hope to work with Klassen! 

I really hope to join that program, but there wasn't any interview offer or contact from the dept.  And are you an international applicant?? Sorry for lots of questions

Edited by Esei_John

20 minutes ago, ibnbattuta said:

Not to repost but still curious as to how well UPenns' religious studies PhD is regarded in the field.  Also curious if anyone has received an interview request for their program.  Cheers. 

I think it partially depends on what you want to study/who you want to study with. From what I know the program in visual and material culture is great, and I'm pretty sure any study that would involve the classics department is also quality. 

3 minutes ago, menge said:

I think it partially depends on what you want to study/who you want to study with. From what I know the program in visual and material culture is great, and I'm pretty sure any study that would involve the classics department is also quality. 

I guess I should have clarified that I'm interested in Islamic studies and they only have Jamal Elias however I would also have access presumably to the NELC faculty there as well

8 hours ago, Esei_John said:
5 hours ago, Esei_John said:

Wow ! Congrats. I also applied to RCP track. Do you know how many spots they offer? I also hope to work with Klassen! 

I really hope to join that program, but there wasn't any interview offer or contact from the dept.  And are you an international applicant?? Sorry for lots of questions

Ah we might meet then! I am an international applicant as well. I've been in touch with Klassen when I e-mailed her that I was going to apply in October, but that was definitely not an interview (I think?), more of an informal talk about my plans and whether UofT would be a good fit. So I don't think the lack of contact is necessarily a problem. I don't know how many spots they have available, didn't ask. They contacted me early mainly because I received an additional fellowship on top of the stipend, I think. He did say that official confirmations would go out Monday, so you'll probably know then. 

2 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

I guess I should have clarified that I'm interested in Islamic studies and they only have Jamal Elias however I would also have access presumably to the NELC faculty there as well

In my mind if you want to work with Elias and there are NELC faculty that will compliment your work, that would be enough reason to apply... that said, I have no idea how Upenn is perceived for Islamic studies, though no matter what it is still Upenn. You might try and contact the department and see if you can get in touch with any current grad students, especially if there are any working in Islamic studies. 

18 minutes ago, _PATRISTICS_ said:

Boston college issued offers for historical theology today. Marquette's historical theology interviewers have been emailed.

I assume that if Marquette's historical theology program has heard, then it holds true for JCA track as well. Do you know when interviews were sent out?

Edited by turktheman
Added text