Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

6 hours ago, tdwightdavis said:

It feels like there's less folks in religion on gradcafe this year, both the forum and the results.

Probably just saying it because it's my discipline, but I feel like there are a lot of theology folks!

11 hours ago, Laodiceans said:

More Duke info: All invites for the (non-competitive) interview weekend have been extended for all subfields. Still not sure when those on the wait list are notified.

I learned yesterday that the waitlist for the PhD program will go out after the interview weekend and that notifications for ThD interviews (Skype) will go out next week.

Really looking forward to hearing about the ThD program. I've known all along that I'm a much better fit for it than the PhD, even though I would have loved to have gotten, of course.

Edited by RD_Paul

37 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

I learned yesterday that the waitlist for the PhD program will go out after the interview weekend and that notifications for ThD interviews (Skype) will go out next week.

Really looking forward to hearing about the ThD program. I've known all along that I'm a much better fit for it than the PhD, even though I would have loved to have gotten, of course.

Along those lines, do you think applying to both the ThD and PhD at a school like Duke/Duke Divinity could hurt one's chances of getting into the more competitive PhD program? I could imagine a scenario in which the adcom is deciding between two qualified candidates, one who has applied to both and one who has only applied for the PhD. It might make sense for the adcom in such a situation to admit the former to the ThD and the latter to the PhD if they really want both to be at Duke. I know PhD admissions at a place like Duke can be a crapshoot anyway since it's so competitive.. but I do wonder whether this could make a difference.

@Laodiceans did you apply to both?

5 minutes ago, y00nsk said:

Along those lines, do you think applying to both the ThD and PhD at a school like Duke/Duke Divinity could hurt one's chances of getting into the more competitive PhD program? I could imagine a scenario in which the adcom is deciding between two qualified candidates, one who has applied to both and one who has only applied for the PhD. It might make sense for the adcom in such a situation to admit the former to the ThD and the latter to the PhD if they really want both to be at Duke. I know PhD admissions at a place like Duke can be a crapshoot anyway since it's so competitive.. but I do wonder whether this could make a difference.

I've been told by many Duke profs that it doesn't hurt your chances at all.

5 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Does anyone know where to find information on the stipend for Duke's ThD? I got curious this morning, but I can't find anything.

I was told in an on campus visit 2 years ago that it's $12,000 a year. That could have changed.

30 minutes ago, y00nsk said:

I've been told the same thing as tdwightdavis by the director of the ThD program, but I've also been told by a different professor that one won't be admitted to both. They are completely separate admissions processes, but I do think that y00nsk's instinct might be right. 

26 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

I've been told by many Duke profs that it doesn't hurt your chances at all.

I was told in an on campus visit 2 years ago that it's $12,000 a year. That could have changed.

Wow. That's really low!

38 minutes ago, y00nsk said:

@RD_Paul @tdwightdavis

I applied to both. I was told to by my POI; and Ross Wagner (Director of the ThD) confirmed that it wouldn't be viewed negatively (just make sure your SOPs reflect that you understand the differences between the two programs!). They usually figure that people want the PhD more because the funding is better (and I should clarify my comment from before...I only applied to the ThD last year and was rejected from that). More than likely, I will not even get an offer for the ThD because they will assume that if anything I will accept the PhD offer. This happened to someone else in the PhD program there. They were accepted into the PhD and then was informed in the ThD decision letter that they didn't get an offer b/c the committee assumed that if they wanted to come to Duke, then they (the applicant) would take the PhD offer.

Btw, the NT faculty are the "admissions committee" for the PhD. The ThD committee is made up of representatives from every field in the Divinity School (maybe some admins as well?).

I will try to find out specifics about ThD funding when I'm there. I do know this (I think): It's was raised to about 15,000/yr. either last year or the year before. 

6 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

@RD_Paul @tdwightdavis

I applied to both. I was told to by my POI; and Ross Wagner (Director of the ThD) confirmed that it wouldn't be viewed negatively (just make sure your SOPs reflect that you understand the differences between the two programs!). They usually figure that people want the PhD more because the funding is better (and I should clarify my comment from before...I only applied to the ThD last year and was rejected from that). More than likely, I will not even get an offer for the ThD because they will assume that if anything I will accept the PhD offer. This happened to someone else in the PhD program there. They were accepted into the PhD and then was informed in the ThD decision letter that they didn't get an offer b/c the committee assumed that if they wanted to come to Duke, then they (the applicant) would take the PhD offer.

Btw, the NT faculty are the "admissions committee" for the PhD. The ThD committee is made up of representatives from every field in the Divinity School (maybe some admins as well?).

I will try to find out specifics about ThD funding when I'm there. I do know this (I think): It's was raised to about 15,000/yr. either last year or the year before. 

I met with Ross Wagner last year when I was applying for the ThD (opted not to this year). Such a nice guy. This has nothing to do with anything, I was just so impressed by his humility and helpful nature.

23 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

I've been told the same thing as tdwightdavis by the director of the ThD program, but I've also been told by a different professor that one won't be admitted to both. They are completely separate admissions processes, but I do think that y00nsk's instinct might be right. 

Wow. That's really low!

I think that it depends on your subfield, but in the case of NT, OT, and Christian Theology, I'm sure applying to both won't hurt your chances. I've heard that in subfields like American Religions and Religion and Modernity, some of the GPR faculty are less amenable to students who want to write from a confessional or normative perspective and an application to the ThD could raise flags in that regard. 

13 hours ago, Laodiceans said:

More Duke info: All invites for the (non-competitive) interview weekend have been extended for all subfields. Still not sure when those on the wait list are notified.

Laodiceans, do you have any information regarding which subfields got spots and how many? I know many years certain subfields get no spots while others get more than one. 

4 minutes ago, kenkratz said:

I think that it depends on your subfield, but in the case of NT, OT, and Christian Theology, I'm sure applying to both won't hurt your chances. I've heard that in subfields like American Religions and Religion and Modernity, some of the GPR faculty are less amenable to students who want to write from a confessional or normative perspective and an application to the ThD could raise flags in that regard. 

Laodiceans, do you have any information regarding which subfields got spots and how many? I know many years certain subfields get no spots while others get more than one. 

Good note on your first comment.

I am honestly not sure. They have 9 subfields (right?...I don't feel like googling it..), but only 8 invites went out (and 2 of those were for NT) so at least 2 fields have 0 invites this year. I do know that every fields at least gets their top applicant, but perhaps for two fields they either got 0 applicants, or they simply decided that the applicant pool was weak and the top applicant didn't meet their cut.

21 minutes ago, pmajor said:

Just found out that I was denied admittance to UT! Not looking likely with the other 4, either...

How were you notified of your rejection?  Curious because I had applied as well and have not heard anything back.

Just now, ibnbattuta said:

How were you notified of your rejection?  Curious because I had applied as well and have not heard anything back.

I checked MyStatus

Just now, ibnbattuta said:

Hmm, when I log in to the application website for UToronto it still says Under Review, but thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Sorry, UTexas, I should have specified. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, pmajor said:

Any idea how long is appropriate to wait before emailing the POI and asking for insight?

Are you asking about emailing someone from a school from which you were turned down and asking them for advice on improving your application or are you asking about emailing a POI at a school from which you haven't heard back from yet?

20 minutes ago, Abdelazar said:

Are you asking about emailing someone from a school from which you were turned down and asking them for advice on improving your application or are you asking about emailing a POI at a school from which you haven't heard back from yet?

From the school that just denied me

I was invited to interview as a finalist at Duke Th.D. in an email late last night by Ross Wagner (no particular POI, field of study theology). I know this is always bittersweet for everyone so blessing to all of you as you keep waiting!