Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

5 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Trying desperately to resist the temptation to e-mail Duke!

Yea, I know the feeling! I called a Grad Coordinator at one school yesterday out of sheer desperation... don't do what I did.

29 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

I just saw on the results page that someone got an e-mail invite (NT) to the interview at Duke. Congrats! Anyone know if they only interview one person?

If you check the last couple years of PhD chitchat, it seems they "interview" one person per field. I say "interview" because it seems to be a formality since the one person invited to campus is offered admittance to the program.

38 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

I just saw on the results page that someone got an e-mail invite (NT) to the interview at Duke. Congrats! Anyone know if they only interview one person?

Here's what I know (from a 3rd year PhD in NT):

1) The GPR meeting is tonight.

2) Nothing went out as far as interview invites yet.

3) I expect trolls on FB, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc., but now I know there are trolls on thegradecafe (and in NT of all places!)

4) Mark Goodacre told me that he is hoping they will have 3 spots this year. Last year they got 2. No guarantees though about how many this year obviously.

1 hour ago, Laodiceans said:

3) I expect trolls on FB, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc., but now I know there are trolls on thegradecafe (and in NT of all places!)

4) Mark Goodacre told me that he is hoping they will have 3 spots this year. Last year they got 2. No guarantees though about how many this year obviously.

That's a relief. By "congrats" on my earlier post, what I actually meant was "well damn." But I'm glad to know this. Thanks for sharing. 

58 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

Hope I didn't come across trolling--I was repeating information I saw last year. I know the trolling thing is spot-on: last few years I recall Duke, Chicago, and--I think--Yale "interviews" were added to the results page. We all know about when these things come out, so somebody trolls us--possibly someone spurned or just looking to create mayhem. Same goes for those Academia.edu hits some have mentioned. If you include part of your name and region/school, people look you up to see how they stack up. So, if you get a hit from Bosie, it's me. If you get a hit from ATL, it's probably an M* getting information about you--not a 60 year old who struggles with emails and thinks Google and Bing are different portals to the internet. If you're completely clandestine, then those hits are probably legit.

1 minute ago, turktheman said:

Hope I didn't come across trolling--I was repeating information I saw last year. I know the trolling thing is spot-on: last few years I recall Duke, Chicago, and--I think--Yale "interviews" were added to the results page. We all know about when these things come out, so somebody trolls us--possibly someone spurned or just looking to create mayhem. Same goes for those Academia.edu hits some have mentioned. If you include part of your name and region/school, people look you up to see how they stack up. So, if you get a hit from Bosie, it's me. If you get a hit from ATL, it's probably an M* getting information about you--not a 60 year old who struggles with emails and thinks Google and Bing are different portals to the internet. If you're completely clandestine, then those hits are probably legit.

Sorry. Wasn't referring to you as trolling. It was exclusively with reference to the two posts on the results page regarding interviews at Duke for NT.

Apropos to nothing... has anybody read Marc Zvi Brettler's the Creation of History in Ancient Israel? I'm having trouble tracking some of his "logical" leaps, specially in regards to the sexual innuendo concerning Ehud. Any insights? Feel free to send me a private message.

1 hour ago, staplerinjello said:

Anyone else waiting on UVa like me? It's the only school I applied to lol

Yes, not sure when they meet and make offers. I noticed in the results page that they appear to forgo interviews, so acceptance/rejection might come at anytime. Do you have any idea of the wait?

2 hours ago, staplerinjello said:

UVa has usually sent responses much later than a lot of other schools (like mid to late March). 

well well well... nothing happened for me yesterday. I feel relief, but I'm a little keyed up at the same time about Laodiceans' news .. Well, it's gonna be a long day

BTW, I saw the posting (from the result page) mentioning phone interview with POI from Chicago Divinity on 26. Can anyone claim/confirm that? s/he was on the subfield religion In the Americas, PhD

Although I am very happy to report that I have been invited to Duke's prospective student weekend, I know that is going to be bummer news for some of you to hear. I was not admitted last year so I know the feeling very intimately. But please be happy for me!

23 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

Although I am very happy to report that I have been invited to Duke's prospective student weekend, I know that is going to be bummer news for some of you to hear. I was not admitted last year so I know the feeling very intimately. But please be happy for me!

WOW! Congrats!

How did you get the email- generic or personalized mail by POI?  (because I'm also waiting for email from Duke although different subfield)

1 minute ago, Esei_John said:

WOW! Congrats!

How did you get the email- generic or personalized mail by POI?  (because I'm also waiting for email from Duke although different subfield)

Thanks! It was from Stephen Chapman. It was personalized. It was sent at 9pm Pacific Time (12AM in Durham).

3 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

Thanks! It was from Stephen Chapman. It was personalized. It was sent at 9pm Pacific Time (12AM in Durham).

Thanks! Retaking the hard work seems to have finally paid off. Congrats again, and best of luck  to you

6 hours ago, Laodiceans said:

Congrats! It's easy for me to be happy for you because you're in a different discipline than what I'm trying to get. Hoping I get an email from theology today.

10 hours ago, staplerinjello said:

I applied to UVa last year and this year. Last year it was mid-March before anyone heard anything, either acceptance or rejection, and they all came at once. It was the very last program I heard from.

7 hours ago, Laodiceans said:

Congrats! While I'M bummed that I didn't hear anything, I'm happy for you! Duke is a great program. 

Edited by RD_Paul

1 hour ago, RD_Paul said:

Congrats! While I'M bummed that I didn't hear anything, I'm happy for you! Duke is a great program. 

Thanks! (And thank to you tdwightdavis -- I don't know how to quote two people at once cause I'm lame, but apparantly copying/pasting your name tags you)

RD_Paul, when I'm there I'll find out everything I can about the ThD process and give you the 411. From what I remember from last year (when I didn't get in), decisions were emailed out late Feb (like the 27th or something).

11 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

Thanks! (And thank to you tdwightdavis -- I don't know how to quote two people at once cause I'm lame, but apparantly copying/pasting your name tags you)

RD_Paul, when I'm there I'll find out everything I can about the ThD process and give you the 411. From what I remember from last year (when I didn't get in), decisions were emailed out late Feb (like the 27th or something).

That would be nice. Thanks! Have any idea about when they release a waitlist or anything?

I know that there is one other NT person invited to Duke and I know they are for Notre Dame. Who is it? Also, anyone else from other fields in the GPR invited to Duke? It would be cool to connect ahead of time if we could.

Just now, Laodiceans said:

I know that there is one other NT person invited to Duke and I know they are for Notre Dame. Who is it? Also, anyone else from other fields in the GPR invited to Duke? It would be cool to connect ahead of time if we could.

Nothing yet for theology. I'm assuming that means no invite for me. I doubt they'd wait this long to contact. 

It feels like there's less folks in religion on gradcafe this year, both the forum and the results.

3 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

Nothing yet for theology. I'm assuming that means no invite for me. I doubt they'd wait this long to contact. 

It feels like there's less folks in religion on gradcafe this year, both the forum and the results.

Ya. Last year it seemed loaded with folks. Hmm. 

I didn't find out when the wait list goes out, but my guess is it wouldn't go out until after the prospective student weekend Feb 12-14th. If I find out for sure, I'll put it on here.