Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

5 hours ago, RD_Paul said:

I just heard directly from an acquaintance at Duke that the admissions committee won't even meet until next week, so whoever has claimed on here that they've gotten invited to interviews is just trying to toy with us. I hope that is encouraging to you all who were hoping to hear from Duke. I know it is for me!

Was this for the div school or the department of religion? I'd imagine the religion department has been meeting, it seems late for them to just be starting but that would make sense for the div school since applications weren't due until the 15th.

Didn't get a call from Emory today so I assume that means no interview for me. Unless the theology department is just waiting longer than NT to call.

23 hours ago, pmajor said:

Esei_John,

I wouldn't give up hope, just yet. I have been told that every school does things differently, AND every department (and sub-department) does things differently. So, just because some have heard from Duke doesn't mean that Duke is out of the question for you. I wouldn't venture into the realm of building a whole decision based on one person's experiences, thus far. However, I may need to hear the same thing in the coming weeks!

Thanks pmajor, 

your comment is really right. I really hope there is still a chance for me, and also for you too! 

13 hours ago, pmajor said:

Did anybody else hear from Emory? Especially, OT guys?

There are a few posts on the emory grad cafe page. So I'm assuming calls/emails are going out slowly. The University is officially closed today, but I don't necessarily see why that would impede a call or email. 

On 1/22/2016 at 6:29 PM, tdwightdavis said:

Was this for the div school or the department of religion? I'd imagine the religion department has been meeting, it seems late for them to just be starting but that would make sense for the div school since applications weren't due until the 15th.

Didn't get a call from Emory today so I assume that means no interview for me. Unless the theology department is just waiting longer than NT to call.

My acquaintance is in the PhD program (dept of religion), and she told me that the Dept of Rel committee meets next week.

1 hour ago, tdwightdavis said:

Weekends are nice because I just assume admissions won't be contacting anyone since the office is closed. Now that Monday is here my crushing anxiety is back. Have a good week everyone!

I'm with you! Though, it doesn't appear that the theology or OT depts have contacted anyone, yet. At least according to the results page; which we all know to be infallible and exhaustive.

5 hours ago, Rabbit Run said:

Due to snowpocalypse I doubt anyone will hear from anyone today or even tomorrow.

There is no more snow near the campus. Emory has been open since Sunday. Current students have already been invited to be on hand for interview weekend Feb 5th.

On 1/24/2016 at 9:50 PM, RD_Paul said:

My acquaintance is in the PhD program (dept of religion), and she told me that the Dept of Rel committee meets next week.

That seems rather odd. From what I have heard, interview candidates were finalized last Thursday. I would assume all invites have been sent by this point, as interview weekend is only 11 days away.

10 hours ago, therealhogwarts said:

That seems rather odd. From what I have heard, interview candidates were finalized last Thursday. I would assume all invites have been sent by this point, as interview weekend is only 11 days away.

I was talking about Duke, not Emory. 

3 minutes ago, RD_Paul said:

Just noticed that someone in both Notre Dame and Durham found my academia page, so it seems like things are about to happen at ND and Duke.

I got about 5 different hits from ATL, which means I did okay at Emory I assume. But not good enough for an interview. Good luck! No hits from Durham on mine yet so I guess that means no Duke for me either.

27 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

I got about 5 different hits from ATL, which means I did okay at Emory I assume. But not good enough for an interview. Good luck! No hits from Durham on mine yet so I guess that means no Duke for me either.

I wouldn't let that worry you. It may be that the NT folks are on a different time table or something. 

Just wanted to note that Vanderbilt GDR invited 2 students per department to interview last year (one open spot each). I believe this was true for most if not all of the programs. I don't have any information on whether that would be different this year though.

Did anyone get the call or email for interview from Duke (Dept. of Religion) yesterday? Based on some comments mentioning hits from Durham, it feels like some admission-related contacts from Duke may have been made yesterday. So, anyone?? 

And do you have any infos about UNC interviews? Last year's UNC result say that there was an interview with the finalists, and the notice was made around this time...  (I didn't get any...)

BTW, this waiting time is really exhausting...

More than anything, this time zone difference makes me sick.. there is a 14 hour's difference between  U.S. east and Seoul time. When the office starts their work at 9 am, that is 11pm for me. Thus I don't sleep so good because some admission decision could be delivered during sleep. Same cycle, same restless night-  up and down all night - for 3 weeks. And I always find myself frustrated in the morning checking my 'empty' mail-box. 

I know we’re all in the same situation, I really hope you all get good results in the end.  And I'm really thankful to those giving precious information on what's going on with admission process. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Esei_John said:

Did anyone get the call or email for interview from Duke (Dept. of Religion) yesterday? Based on some comments mentioning hits from Durham, it feels like some admission-related contacts from Duke may have been made yesterday. So, anyone?? 

And do you have any infos about UNC interviews? Last year's UNC result say that there was an interview with the finalists, and the notice was made around this time...  (I didn't get any...)

BTW, this waiting time is really exhausting...

More than anything, this time zone difference makes me sick.. there is a 14 hour's difference between  U.S. east and Seoul time. When the office starts their work at 9 am, that is 11pm for me. Thus I don't sleep so good because some admission decision could be delivered during sleep. Same cycle, same restless night-  up and down all night - for 3 weeks. And I always find myself frustrated in the morning checking my 'empty' mail-box. 

I know we’re all in the same situation, I really hope you all get good results in the end.  And I'm really thankful to those giving precious information on what's going on with admission process. Thanks!

I expect Duke interviews to go out today or tomorrow, based on when last year's went out and the hits from yesterday.

7 minutes ago, staplerinjello said:

Is it usual for faculty members in departments to search candidates online and look at their academia.edu pages?

Yeah. It has happened a lot to me lately. So far, I would say it is probably a good sign if they are searching you.