Doctoral applications 2015-2016

RD_Paul

2 minutes ago, CosmicMarpeck said:

While we're checking in on specific schools, anyone hear anything from any of the Toronto School of Theology colleges? 

why don't you post this on the topic below "Has anyone applied to the Canadian phd programs?" I remember some user had a much closer knowledge on the application status of schools from Toronto School of Theology.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Petros said:

The user has a negative reputation (numeric and otherwise) in this subforum. Also take a closer look at the institutions listed: Bob Jones and Princeton, Regent and Harvard. It's not a serious post.

BJU (heh) actually does have a PhD, I looked it up after I saw his original post because I was curious. Every person who teaches in the program has a PhD (and usually a masters and undergrad degree) from, you guess it, Bob Jones University.

41 minutes ago, JN527 said:

Has anyone here been accepted or waitlisted at Southern Methodist University's Graduate Program in Religious Studies?

My good friend (not on gradecafe though) was accepted to SMU (theology). He was notified last week sometime. First he received a call from the Dean and then he got his official letter. I'm not sure about their process and how many spots they offer, but I'm sorry if this is bad news...

55 minutes ago, JN527 said:

Has anyone here been accepted or waitlisted at Southern Methodist University's Graduate Program in Religious Studies?

I was wait listed; they made decisions on 2/5. :-( I heard that they gave 5 offers and placed 5 on the wait list.

48 minutes ago, Laodiceans said:

My good friend (not on gradecafe though) was accepted to SMU (theology). He was notified last week sometime. First he received a call from the Dean and then he got his official letter. I'm not sure about their process and how many spots they offer, but I'm sorry if this is bad news...

Is he planning to accept the offer or is he waiting for another one elsewhere?

21 minutes ago, Sphereology459 said:

Received news I was admitted to UNC(Chapel Hill) about three weeks ago. 

Wow. Congrats! May I ask how you got the news? (and subfield, if you're okay with it. ) you can PM me

Has anyone heard anything (or know anyone who has heard anything) from Vanderbilt. There is nothing about religion in any subfield on the results page. They usually contact acceptances before Valentine's Day. Either they're late this year or every single person they accepted in every subfield doesn't log on to this site.

14 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

Has anyone heard anything (or know anyone who has heard anything) from Vanderbilt. There is nothing about religion in any subfield on the results page. They usually contact acceptances before Valentine's Day. Either they're late this year or every single person they accepted in every subfield doesn't log on to this site.

I had a ~20 min interview with a small admissions committee last week via Skype. They told me they would still need a couple weeks before decisions could be finalized. Not sure if this timeline applies to all subfields though.

7 minutes ago, Perytion said:

I had a ~20 min interview with a small admissions committee last week via Skype. They told me they would still need a couple weeks before decisions could be finalized. Not sure if this timeline applies to all subfields though.

Cool thanks. I have a good friend in the program and I knew they had interviewed, but I didn't know if acceptances/rejections/waitlists had gone out yet. 

5 minutes ago, tdwightdavis said:

Cool thanks. I have a good friend in the program and I knew they had interviewed, but I didn't know if acceptances/rejections/waitlists had gone out yet. 

The waiting game continues...

3 hours ago, Esei_John said:

Friends, has anyone interviewed/heard back from U of Chicago, UNC(chapel hill) or Harvard?  I am curious what is going on...   

I have not heard anything from UChicago yet (the only one from your list that I applied to)

39 minutes ago, Rrrrahner said:

I have not heard anything from UChicago yet (the only one from your list that I applied to)

@Esei_John @Rrrrahner - FYI, I applied to U of C's Div School last year and I got my rejection letter on the 23rd of February. I've been told they run about the same every year.

3 hours ago, Perytion said:

Perytion, what's your field if you don't mind me asking?

Okay, so I mentioned a few days ago that I was accepted in CUA, but I hadn't heard about the financial piece. Honestly, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought of having to foot the full bill. So, does anyone know of other avenues (besides the school itself) for piecing together funding in order to survive in a city like DC?

31 minutes ago, pmajor said:

Okay, so I mentioned a few days ago that I was accepted in CUA, but I hadn't heard about the financial piece. Honestly, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought of having to foot the full bill. So, does anyone know of other avenues (besides the school itself) for piecing together funding in order to survive in a city like DC?

You should not foot the bill for a PhD program. If you are set on going the PhD route, it is a much better idea to spend an extra year or two at a top masters program where you have a chance of getting funding, and then applying to a PhD program that is going to offer you tuition + stipend.

Hi - I've been a lurker on this thread for a few weeks now... 
I did hear back from Vanderbilt and was accepted into Phd in GDR on 2/12 via phone call. 
I was also present for the interviews on 2/8~2/9.   I talked to a few other candidates who had been present and those who got in had also heard back by V-day. 

I'm sorry if this is bad news for some folks... 

Edited by hl18

27 minutes ago, hl18 said:

Hi - I've been a lurker on this thread for a few weeks now... 
I did hear back from Vanderbilt and was accepted into Phd in GDR on 2/12 via phone call. 
I was also present for the interviews on 2/8~2/9.   I talked to a few other candidates who had been present and those who got in had also heard back by V-day. 

I'm sorry if this is bad news for some folks... 

Congrats hl18. What's your field?

14 hours ago, drivingthoughts said:

FYI, I applied to U of C's Div School last year and I got my rejection letter on the 23rd of February. I've been told they run about the same every year.

Thanks, do you know whether U of C or Harvard requests interview session as part of an decision-making process? I didn't get one, and I really hope this is not a bad sign for me.