DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

I called DAAD Bonn. I was told to send message via portal, because this is the way to get straight contact with you program coordinator. When I asked about when all the results will be released, then she answered that she don't know and there's no list of when and what program results are announced. In conclusion, totally pointless call. :D

1 minute ago, eigthy said:

I called DAAD Bonn. I was told to send message via portal, because this is the way to get straight contact with you program coordinator. When I asked about when all the results will be released, then she answered that she don't know and there's no list of when and what program results are announced. In conclusion, totally pointless call. :D

Thank you for that information. I haven't called DAAD Bonn yet and based on what you just said, I am not going to call.

3 minutes ago, aynrand said:

Thank you for that information. I haven't called DAAD Bonn yet and based on what you just said, I am not going to call.

Yep. Now I tried to call my local DAAD. Got a bit more information. I was told that they usually promise to announce the results end of March or early April, but the experience has shown that sometimes they release the result in the second half of April. But she thought that this week or next the results should be out. But I think this information is more for those who applied at DAAD Riga LV.

It's killing me softly :D

1 hour ago, eigthy said:

Yep. Now I tried to call my local DAAD. Got a bit more information. I was told that they usually promise to announce the results end of March or early April, but the experience has shown that sometimes they release the result in the second half of April. But she thought that this week or next the results should be out. But I think this information is more for those who applied at DAAD Riga LV.

It's killing me softly :D

So did you send or have you ever sent a message via the portal?

Tell me about it! We are all (well at least those of us who are still waiting) in the dark. I wonder when this pain would end.

As a result of this back-up, alternates apparently won't hear until the end of May at the earliest! It's torture.

@eigthyThis is unrelated, but when might be the best time to visit Riga? I'm dying to go!! :) 

When I called my local DAAD office, they told me that they started to give the results for the intensive language courses and research grants, but I think the results arrive differently for different countries. But the people in the local office don't know the results for graduate study scholarships, as this program is coordinated by Bonn directly. 

And today my status went blank, I guess it's a good sign.

1 hour ago, aynrand said:

So did you send or have you ever sent a message via the portal?

Tell me about it! We are all (well at least those of us who are still waiting) in the dark. I wonder when this pain would end.

I have send message via portal, it was 3 weeks ago maybe. I asked about the status "selection made", which was like a cover question not to ask directly when the results are out. And I got answer within a day that please be patient, the "selection made" means nothing and wait for the official letter. And that was it. Now I am not gonna write them via portal, I don't see any point of it. Probably the answer is the same - please be patient. That's why I decided to call today - just to get a little bit more information.

And one more thing... I have sent twice letter via portal. Both times I have got answer from different persons. First letter was about application process and documents - answer was very polite, friendly and informative. But the second one was about the "selection made" - answer was short, a bit rude and after reading it I felt guilty that I even wrote that letter. But you can't choose the person whom you write... That might also be the reason why I don't want to write again.

1 hour ago, x\/x\/x said:

As a result of this back-up, alternates apparently won't hear until the end of May at the earliest! It's torture.

@eigthyThis is unrelated, but when might be the best time to visit Riga? I'm dying to go!! :) 

I have visited Riga 5 times, so I'm not the local, but in my opinion in the summer (around July, August). Old town is very beautiful and with nice weather you can take a long walk and enjoy the city. Definitely worth to visit. :)

39 minutes ago, hero_girl said:

When I called my local DAAD office, they told me that they started to give the results for the intensive language courses and research grants, but I think the results arrive differently for different countries. But the people in the local office don't know the results for graduate study scholarships, as this program is coordinated by Bonn directly. 

And today my status went blank, I guess it's a good sign.

Yep, that's true. I was also told that everything comes from the headquarters.

As usually the pattern is selection made -> blank -> result.

Good luck, let's hope for the funding !

Hi all,

I sent another (pointless) email last night. I have a job offer I need to respond to and, well, if I had heard early-April it wouldn't be an issue, but I can't keep waiting. I'll let you know, but most likely, they'll say: idk!

Just now, aynrand said:

What is the point of telling us to send a message/inquiry via the portal if no one ever replies?!? This is so frustrating!

Literally why I stopped doing it...

1 minute ago, eigthy said:

I don't get it why they don't reply to you...

Yeah idk. When I had the initial issue, I was sent from person to person until I was finally told to message via the portal. I honestly think they just didn't have a clue as to what caused the glitch or how to fix it. Which sucked, because I then had no idea how to correct my application and thus had to write a note and hoped it wouldn't be held against me. BUT WHO KNOWS.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

Yeah idk. When I had the initial issue, I was sent from person to person until I was finally told to message via the portal. I honestly think they just didn't have a clue as to what caused the glitch or how to fix it. Which sucked, because I then had no idea how to correct my application and thus had to write a note and hoped it wouldn't be held against me. BUT WHO KNOWS.

That's really stupid.

But have you got an answer to your email?

4 minutes ago, eigthy said:

That's really stupid.

But have you got an answer to your email?

Not yet. I mean, I'm imagine I was rejected for my language proficiency last year, so this year should be a similar situation and thus I doubt the glitch will matter.

Hi all,

Just heard back via email from Uta. I didn't get the grant (again). I think that is it for me and DAAD. I'm off to sob and then get back to grad school. Good luck to everyone else.

19 minutes ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

Just heard back via email from Uta. I didn't get the grant (again). I think that is it for me and DAAD. I'm off to sob and then get back to grad school. Good luck to everyone else.

Im sorry to hear Horb! you have been such a great support for everyone in this forum :(

I am sure you will have more opportunitties! dont give up!

27 minutes ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

Aw that's so lame Horb! Keep up the hard work I'm sure other opportunities will arise!

6 minutes ago, EarlyModernGermany said:

Aw that's so lame Horb! Keep up the hard work I'm sure other opportunities will arise!

Thanks guys. It's disappointing. I really needed the grant to do the work I wanted to do for my dissertation. Now I'll have to reassess everything, maybe change my topic as I go into the research phase.

I hope that anyone who is still waiting to hear back has different news. Perhaps expect to hear from DAAD NY as Uta said she just received the list of recipients. 

11 hours ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

Hi Horb. So sorry to hear that :( I know how difficult it is to be rejected and not get what you badly need or want. :(

I haven't heard anything yet about my application. Oh well.

13 hours ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

I'm so sorry, Horb. 

21 hours ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

I'm so sorry, Horb! But now the waiting is over.

One thing is result, but another thing is that they let you to wait so long... And finally you had to ask about result and got it through e-mail - I think that's kinda lame.

And thank you for all the support and shared information ;)