Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

3 hours ago, IRtheorist said:

So, if the only school I get into is well outside the top 25, but does offer tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance, should I accept or try again next year?

I was in that same situation last year (and then again this year for a while, before the NYU offer came).

Last year, I decided against it, but not because it's not a top 25 school. It wasn't the right fit for me, and I just couldn't see myself living in that place for 6 years (considering that it wasn't my dream school). So I figured I really want this, but I was convinced I could do better, and tried again.

This year UCSB was my first offer. I was a lot better about selecting my programs this year, and I knew that I would have a great, young, motivated supervisor there, would get the funding I need and - added bonus - really enjoy living there. So I was going to take it if nothing else came it, regardless of the ranking. Rankings can only provide so much guidance - it so happens that someone really up'n'coming in my field is at UCSB, so for me, it is a good choice.

I think asking advisors is a good idea. And of course research the lower ranked place you're considering - how much funding is available, where have graduates gone to, how many other advisees has your potential advisor, how well do you click with them, how many opportunities (TA, RA, summers, field work, etc.) will you get there?

And, not entirely unimportant considering that you also want to be happy over the next five to six years - what does your gut tell you?

So I got rejected from UCSD's PhD program. They emailed me encouraging me to apply for the Master's in International Affairs program. They also mentioned that the fellowship that I was found eligible to receive in the PhD program would transfer to the MIA, so it would be paid for with a stipend. However I already have an MA in political science. My question is, if I were to go through with getting another MA through UCSD, would it increase my odds of getting into UCSD for a PhD? Should I consider it? 

6 minutes ago, finalsenator said:

So I got rejected from UCSD's PhD program. They emailed me encouraging me to apply for the Master's in International Affairs program. They also mentioned that the fellowship that I was found eligible to receive in the PhD program would transfer to the MIA, so it would be paid for with a stipend. However I already have an MA in political science. My question is, if I were to go through with getting another MA through UCSD, would it increase my odds of getting into UCSD for a PhD? Should I consider it? 

I know of people getting into Yale with a GPS (formerly IR/PS) degree from UCSD. It's fairly prestigious with good training and helpful faculty. If you are prepared and taking the most out of the program, you should land at a T-10 next season. However, it's a bet on yourself -- If you do mediocrely in the program, then getting another Master degree probably won't help you too much. If you have confidence in yourself and work hard, you should be able to hear great news next year! 

1 hour ago, finalsenator said:

My question is, if I were to go through with getting another MA through UCSD, would it increase my odds of getting into UCSD for a PhD?

You should ask UCSD. :)

I still find it weird that I have yet to hear from Columbia and Georgetown, but it looks like given previous years Georgetown does cycles of admits until mid March. Oh well. What a week, and still more to come. At least with President's Day on Monday we'll have a little bit of a longer breather. I suspect that with the holiday, we won't hear anything now until Tuesday?

Nebraska, please just let me know if I'm in, lol:

Application Status at the Department: Review complete, decision forwarded to Graduate Studies

Application Status in Graduate Studies: Decision received; pending final review.

Edited by schuaust

43 minutes ago, schuaust said:

Nebraska, please just let me know if I'm in, lol:

Application Status at the Department: Review complete, decision forwarded to Graduate Studies

Application Status in Graduate Studies: Decision received; pending final review.

Woah, that's torture! Good luck :ph34r:

Haven't officially heard anything in more than a week (even though two likely rejections, based on acceptances on the board) - it's so weird to just sit around and wait for weeks on end. I just want to know already, so I can start planning!

52 minutes ago, Sbrail2 said:

Man I just got a really bad funding offer at the school I really wanted to go to :(

What was the school and package? Maybe someone else received the same thing due to it being a baseline or someone received more, meaning you can negotiate successfully. 

6 minutes ago, Eobard Thawne said:

What was the school and package? Maybe someone else received the same thing due to it being a baseline or someone received more, meaning you can negotiate successfully. 

UNT and they offered me a 10k stipend with no tuition waiver based on a 20 hr/week TAship

Has anyone else lost the motivation to do their remaining school work?

Oh also, maybe this is common knowledge but I was talking to a Michigan grad student today who said they host a one month "math camp" in August for first-year PhD students to boost their skills before the quant sequence starts. And then I mentioned it to my advisor, who said this is common at US schools. Just thought I would mention it here so that people know to ask their schools about that and potentially plan for it!

1 hour ago, ultraultra said:

Oh also, maybe this is common knowledge but I was talking to a Michigan grad student today who said they host a one month "math camp" in August for first-year PhD students to boost their skills before the quant sequence starts. And then I mentioned it to my advisor, who said this is common at US schools. Just thought I would mention it here so that people know to ask their schools about that and potentially plan for it!

I think the same thing happens at Duke, but it is internet based.

1 hour ago, ultraultra said:

Ugh yes. I can definitely relate Trying to finish writing my MA thesis proposal so that the paperwork can be finalized and I can move onto writing my actual paper. Now I just don't feel like touching it...yet I need a hard copy drafted and ready for Monday.

On the math boot camp, it's increasingly common. Emory, GWU and Cornell do a two week session for sure. The focus of each is a little different. I'm not sure about others.