Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

My undergrad institute has a joint-program with Columbia so I started as a pre-engineering freshman. In my sophomore year, I took a conflict class and it literally blew my mind. I thought the topic was so fascinating and fortunately, I got a RA job at Northwestern the following summer. That was the time when I became seriously interested in studying and doing political science. So I told my school that I was about to quit the engineering program -- but since I took so many classes as a pre-engineering student, I was able to meet all the graduation requirements and the registrar told me that I could in fact graduate one year early if I was no longer doing the joint program with Columbia. So I decided to graduate early that summer. And during the same summer, I took my GRE, and wrote 12 SoPs with the hope that I could still enjoy my life as a junior applicant (which did not turn out to be true. Last seater was the most  hectic one in my undergrad career). In this sense, I started this poli sci Ph.D. game pretty late, but luckily everything worked out and I really appreciate what I've got today! ;)

And to the physics student in a previous post -- it's never too late to change your track once you find your passion! Sometimes, people would even view your non-traditional experience as a strength. 

19 minutes ago, finalsenator said:

So have UCLA rejections really gone out? Because I havent gotten anything from them and was expecting a rejection by this point

Me too. I also havent heard any position. What are you thinking? What are our chances now? I was expecting a rejection, but some hope come back now. 

On February 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Birdie said:

American University (SIS) is available online.

I didn't get in. Got to try and get from the office to home without bursting into tears on the bus.

Hey! How are people seeing the SIS decisions?  When I log onto the applynowsis website, my status is still listed as submitted.  Is there another website that lists the results?

3 hours ago, lstauffer714 said:

Hey! How are people seeing the SIS decisions?  When I log onto the applynowsis website, my status is still listed as submitted.  Is there another website that lists the results?

I saw it when I logged onto the application portal. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a positive outcome.

24 minutes ago, cgfren08 said:

Could be someone just didn't post it until now and forgot to adjust the date. 

True, I thought it was just weird as all haha.

Congrats to your UCONN acceptance, I got accepted there too! I'm visiting this week actually haha.

11 minutes ago, SeniorUnderGrad said:

True, I thought it was just weird as all haha.

Congrats to your UCONN acceptance, I got accepted there too! I'm visiting this week actually haha.

Sounds good. As a full time teacher and dorm parent, sadly I wont get time for any of the visitation weekends. Hopefully doesn't cut into my funding chances in some of these places. 

9 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Good luck. 

You too. Pata nehin hum faqeeroon ko visa kaun dey ga. I am planning k babbay shah k mazaar par jaa k mannat hee maang aao ya phir aur kuch nehin tou jaali-peer k paas chillaa hee kaat loon... visa tou lagay! :D:P:D

53 minutes ago, kaneross said:

You too. Pata nehin hum faqeeroon ko visa kaun dey ga. I am planning k babbay shah k mazaar par jaa k mannat hee maang aao ya phir aur kuch nehin tou jaali-peer k paas chillaa hee kaat loon... visa tou lagay! :D:P:D

Yaar i think PhD visa is easier. Are you applying for programs in USA? I have a question. Do you know if one needs financial statement even if gets fee remission and a living stipend?

1 hour ago, yasir8959 said:

Yaar i think PhD visa is easier. Are you applying for programs in USA? I have a question. Do you know if one needs financial statement even if gets fee remission and a living stipend?

Visa officers primary concerns are if you have sufficient money to cover your living expenses and if you can pay your fee. They feel more than satisfied if they come to know applicant has been awarded fully funded scholarship; which means his fee is already covered for the standard duration of his PhD program with the regular living stipend.

However, to make your case strong; you should attach bank statement. This statement should show that your financial capability in your home country is not deteriorating and you are living in good conditions. But this amount does not necessarily need to be higher or equivalent to your fee + living expenses in prospective country since you are already on scholarship. You are just showing to prove that your home-land is already providing you a good life, you are just going abroad for ''higher education'' and does not represent that you wish to permanently stay in a prospective country. 

Ideally, the amount in the bank statement should be more than or equivalent to ''arrival and departure ticket'' plus enough money to pay initial deposits before opening bank account in a foreign country.

19 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

Good luck everyone in this (hopefully) last week of waiting and hoping! ^_^

I second that. I really hope this is the last one. Good luck, everyone!