Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

2 hours ago, fghhhhh said:

Have any Columbia admits heard back with an official letter and details on funding? I received the unofficial acceptance email last week but haven't heard from them since.

2 hours ago, cableknitmanatee said:

No, I haven't heard anything since the initial email either. 

Ditto. Got an email from the Department last week, nothing since then. Nothing shows up on the application portal either.

9 hours ago, Birdie said:

Thank you. Not sure I'll do another cycle. I'm a good bit older than most applicants, have been at this since Nov. 2014 (feels so long ago). There are things in life I've been putting off to chase this dream. Really need to think about it, do a hard and honest evaluation of me as a candidate. Having "only" an MA from a top ten program isn't the worst thing in the world, right?

RIGHT?

In the meantime, keeping my fingers crossed for the two I haven't heard from, but mentally preparing to hit the job market yet again.

Damn right man. 

13 hours ago, cableknitmanatee said:

On a similar note, does anyone know when we might expect to hear about funding from Berkeley? 

If they were truly sneaky, they would wait until they have all of us out there enjoying the California "winter" and free food before dropping funding news on us. 

My POI email said "expect a 5-year package", but I haven't heard more.

Argh, I can hardly take it anymore. Already juggling researching at least four of the unis and trying to plan a visitation trip - but haven't even heard back yet from all unis I applied to. Of course I want more admits, but most of all I just want to know, so I can move forward...

7 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

Argh, I can hardly take it anymore. Already juggling researching at least four of the unis and trying to plan a visitation trip - but haven't even heard back yet from all unis I applied to. Of course I want more admits, but most of all I just want to know, so I can move forward...

Same. Really hoping for some decisions today, or else it's going to be another long weekend. 

Seems we can expect Yale anytime from now until next Friday, but next week seems more likely. Thats my last school that hasn't announced.

Are people generally discounting schools that didn't accept you in the first round or send a rejection? Seems some schools don't announce a waitlist until later while others do both at the same time. Not sure if I am willing to forgo my final decision on the very slim chance a school comes back to me.

On 1/21/2016 at 0:51 PM, elwright said:

I just got off the phone with Indiana. I was pretty excited and forgot when he said the visitation weekend would be -- March 24 or 28. If someone else gets a call could they tell me when the visitation weekend is?

45 minutes ago, chrisb1234 said:

I just got off the phone with Indiana. I was pretty excited and forgot when he said the visitation weekend would be -- March 24 or 28. If someone else gets a call could they tell me when the visitation weekend is?

March 24 — I missed the call and have a voicemail.  :)

22 minutes ago, aspiringivyleaguer said:

Hi guys!

Any news on Brown? They said they would release admission results this week. 

Keep checking the results page. Enough people apply that I'd guess we'll know as soon as they start releasing. 

27 minutes ago, Straussian Dogmatist said:

Out of curiosity - how many people here are applying to PhD programs as a senior in undergrad? It's been tough balancing my neuroticism over the process here with the workload of my final semester...

I started my MA two years after my BA. Now I'm 8 years out from my MA.

30 minutes ago, Straussian Dogmatist said:

Out of curiosity - how many people here are applying to PhD programs as a senior in undergrad? It's been tough balancing my neuroticism over the process here with the workload of my final semester...

I can tell you from personal experience that it's not any easier to balance the stress of an application cycle with a full-time job, especially one where people aren't supposed to know that you're applying (until it's settled) ;)

3 minutes ago, Birdie said:

I started my MA two years after my BA. Now I'm 8 years out from my MA.

And I thought I was the oldest here :) I've been out of my MA for four years now, and also had a gap between BSc and MA.

Just now, IndEnth said:

I can tell you from personal experience that it's not any easier to balance the stress of an application cycle with a full-time job, especially one where people aren't supposed to know that you're applying (until it's settled) ;)

And I thought I was the oldest here :) I've been out of my MA for four years now, and also had a gap between BSc and MA.

You people are extremely lucky that despite of having study gaps, you have this confidence of applying at Schools. I belong to a continent where normally visa-authorities do not allow entry to the applicant who has got huge study gaps or gaps of more than 2-3 years.

3 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

I think if your employer/organization comes to know you are applying; you will go through a proper trial and hanged if proven guilty :D

I'm applying straight out of my MA, which I started right after finishing my BA. Wrapping up this thesis is going to be difficult. I've certainly put off a lot of important work in recent months to focus on this so now I'm behind schedule on finishing. 

3 minutes ago, Syas said:

I had almost given up my hope from this cycle, and today I received an e-mail from Indiana University informing me of my admission with financial package. So excited :) Anyone else here considering to enroll in Indiana's program?

Congratulations!

I like many faculty research interests at IU, and the city of Bloomington receives high marks from people I know with experience there. (But it is not among my top choices at this juncture.)

38 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

I can imagine. This isn't easy anywhere! I am beginning to sweat a little, as I've received rejections and implied rejections across the board with the exception of a waitlist. My dilemma is - do I accept the waitlist should I get off of it, even if I'm sure that another program would be better for me? Or do I not risk the opportunity I have and just get started? I'm still in undergrad but I feel ancient, like I need to get to work on the PhD ASAP.