HGSE 2016

aina7

On 2016/1/2 at 2:24 PM, graciasadios said:

Anyone applying to the M.Ed. in School Leadership (SLP)?

Finally I see someone applying SLP!! I'm applying for School Development. Not sure if three year experience means full-time or not, cause I just graduated, no full-time work exprience.

I just submitted. I wish I could say that it feels a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, but instead I'm freaking out because one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted. I trust him, but I'm still really freaking out. 

9 hours ago, KaySsaem said:

I just submitted. I wish I could say that it feels a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, but instead I'm freaking out because one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted. I trust him, but I'm still really freaking out. 

Understandable!  It's so "out of your hands" but like, THEY NEED TO SUBMIT!  I was panicking loudly via email at one of my recommenders to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE hit submit NOW.  I think I freaked her out enough to rush it in, but I was able to read what she wrote and it was very thoughtful.

It'll all be over soon!

And now for two months of impatience and me unnecessarily checking my status page when I know there will be no changes to it until March.

4 hours ago, graciasadios said:

Hope to see you on Appian Way!

Do you think what they required "at least three years of experience in educational settings" has to be full-time? I just graduated from undergrate school so I obviously can't do full time, but I do have many years part-time work experience and charity program. I'm not sure if no full time gonna hurt me a lot.

I think HGSE's 3 year requirement for SLP is based on the Massachusetts Department of Education's requirements for principal licensure. My honest guess is that you need three years of teaching before you can receive your Massachusetts administrative credential. Whether or not they will let you into this principalship program without that qualification, I have no idea. You should check with the HGSE Admission Office. Good luck!

30 minutes ago, tatoaguilera said:

I also submitted last night.... Que sea lo que Dios quiera...

Do you guys know whats up with FinAid? There is a separate application for that right?

For Americans it is the FAFSA.  Other scholarships are done automatically with your submitted application.  HGSE has another form they are supposed to release sometime soon that is due in February.

Applying for M.A 
Program: Learning and Teaching

GRE Score: V 162, Q 170, AWA: 4.5 
GPA: 3.02
Work Experience: Currently: CEO of educational company. 2 years as a high school math teacher; BBBS 2 years, Neighborhoods School Program 2 years.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 10 National University 
Research Experience: Published paper in medical journal

Low GPA

Wanting to hear your thoughts on my chances.

Edited by cogicogi

8 hours ago, cogicogi said:

Applying for M.A 
Program: Learning and Teaching

GRE Score: V 162, Q 170, AWA: 4.5 
GPA: 3.02
Work Experience: Currently: CEO of educational company. 2 years as a high school math teacher; BBBS 2 years, Neighborhoods School Program 2 years.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 10 National University 
Research Experience: Published paper in medical journal

Low GPA

Wanting to hear your thoughts on my chances.

Others have been accepted with a low GPA (still above 3 so that's important) and considerable work experience.  Your stellar GRE scores should hopefully offset your GPA, and it seems like your experience is worthy.  Also, a low GPA from a top university is probably weighed differently :) (in your favor)

On December 30, 2015 at 8:29 AM, edldwannabe said:

I am too embarrassed to post my GRE scores, but I have an undergrad gpa of 3.2 and grad of 3.88. Really want admission into HGSE EdL.D. program. Any ideas of how GRE scores are weighted? 

I'm also applying to EdLD. We can wait it out together! I just got an email that my application is complete, which means they looked at it.  I don't think your GRE scores matter for EdLD. They are much more interested in your potential as a system leader based on your past experience and future ambitions. 

On December 30, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Huskyboy2015 said:

Thank you everyone for taking out the time to reply.  For my peace of mind,I will email admissions and tell them about it and let them tell me what I should do. I think by doing so it shows I noticed it, lets see what they say.  

For what it's worth, I know someone who had an EGREGIOUS typo on their resume and they were accepted to a Harvard PhD program. I'm talking, like really really ridiculously awful oversight. So I think they'll be understanding about hitting the wrong letter one key apart :) 

On January 2, 2016 at 11:23 PM, Heather1011 said:
On January 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM, edldwannabe said:

After reading this thread, I have determined that    my chances of getting into the EdL.D program are between slim and none. My credentials are no where as pristine as those posted on here. Best of luck to each of you! 

Don't look at it like that. They build a cohort so it's more about who they think will fit well together than any individual's credentials specifically. It's a very cohort-heavy program so it matters to them that they have people from diverse backgrounds, etc. I think your SOP is what counts the most, along with your Letters of Rec. GPA and GRE only have to show that you can meet the basic minimum requirements. (I mean, HGSE is a LOT of reading, so they probably want to know you can handle the workload). 

On January 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM, samsonite2pv said:

I have a friend who got accepted last year with no interview. He found out in late March I think, so suspects he was waitlisted while they interviewed most. 

That is so interesting! I assumed no interview meant 100% not in. I know they interview 50 for EdLD, they accept 25. So the basic assumption is that if you get an interview, you've made it to 50-50 odds.  Which is STILL harsh, but the program's acceptance rate is like 5% overall. (About 500 applicants for 25 spots). Trying now not to think about it and live my life like I didn't even apply so that I'm not planning around it at the moment. 

On December 26, 2015 at 3:51 PM, morifol said:

I have a question to people who were accepted last year or maybe have done a better job researching than I have. What do you know about housing that HGSE PhD students can hope to get with the funding?.. How are things now with that? I've read Cambridge/Boston are really expensive in terms of real estate. And I will be relying on a scholarship only.

I'm asking because I want to be truly excited about waiting, and not anticipate worrying of a different kind when I do get an offer....

Living at HGSE is hella expensive. You can live in Harvard University Housing (which I did because it was worth it to me to live close to campus.) I had a great apartment and two roommates (A major change since I'd lived alone the previous 5 years). If I get into the EdLD program, the stipend will not cover living alone anywhere near campus and I don't think I want to do the roommate thing again (one roommate was amazing and is one of my best friends now, the other... not so much. I'm too old for those kind of risks!). You don't have to live near campus though. i know tons of people who had very affordable apartments in Somerville and Allston, etc. There are options. 

But anyway, even with two roommates, the cost of one year at HGSE was about $65k (So EdLD funding = most of that). 

1 hour ago, Shlee467 said:

I'm also applying to EdLD. We can wait it out together! I just got an email that my application is complete, which means they looked at it.  I don't think your GRE scores matter for EdLD. They are much more interested in your potential as a system leader based on your past experience and future ambitions. 

Weirdly enough, it looks like EdLd has lower average GRE scores than the EdM. So I think you're right, it's very much a minor point. I do think they might be alarmed at a horrible verbal or writing score specifically, but not in the way they really value it for the PhD. 

14 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Weirdly enough, it looks like EdLd has lower average GRE scores than the EdM. So I think you're right, it's very much a minor point. I do think they might be alarmed at a horrible verbal or writing score specifically, but not in the way they really value it for the PhD. 

Right, because PhDs have to do a lot of data analysis and quant, etc. EdLD is about leadership which is not synonymous with high test scores. (Actually, probably the opposite).  When I was looking at PhD programs, I knew my scores weren't high enough, but they seem just fine for EdLD. And I don't want to do research down the road. 

31 minutes ago, Shlee467 said:

Right, because PhDs have to do a lot of data analysis and quant, etc. EdLD is about leadership which is not synonymous with high test scores. (Actually, probably the opposite).  When I was looking at PhD programs, I knew my scores weren't high enough, but they seem just fine for EdLD. And I don't want to do research down the road. 

Yes, I realized that about analysis and quant. but i thought it was curious that the verbal sections wouldn't be much higher. Certainly written communication would be really important. But I TOTALLY agree that test scores in no way reflect leadership ability. I'm good at tests. I don't see myself as much of a leader yet. 

Hi everyone!

anyone know about the relative competitiveness of the programs/concentrations? I applied to EPM and although I feel like my case is strong, I'm having trouble not obsessing about the fact that I have no idea what my chances are. I understand EPM is the biggest-- what implications does that have for admittance rate?

just a little too excited, I guess. Thanks and best wishes to you all!!

17 minutes ago, EPM? said:

Hi everyone!

anyone know about the relative competitiveness of the programs/concentrations? I applied to EPM and although I feel like my case is strong, I'm having trouble not obsessing about the fact that I have no idea what my chances are. I understand EPM is the biggest-- what implications does that have for admittance rate?

Although it is the biggest, I was also under the impression that is because it is one of the most popular programs and receives the greatest number of applications... certainly that can be seen on this forum over the years, there are always plenty of Ed Policy people.  BUT, the good news for HGSE, and this is what gives me hope also, is that there is no "cap" on the number of students they can admit.  It's not like you have to edge out 100 people for the last slot----there are, theoretically, an infinite number of slots (and why not? You're paying THEM for the education), you just have to be qualified in their eyes.  If they want you, they can take you, without having to choose between you and someone else. ;) 

9 hours ago, sarkat said:

Yess! @mjsmith

I'm so anxious, I don't think we'll hear from Harvard till March? Congratulations on UGA! I haven't heard from any school I've applied to! :(

Thanks sarkat! I was surprised to hear so soon from UGA. I didn't expect to hear anything from anywhere until mid-late January at the earliest. Where else did you apply (if you don't mind me asking)?

7 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

Just FYI, I think PhDs hear in February. 

I too have heard that PhD applicants tend to be notified sometime in February. Hopefully that'll be the case this year as well. :) 

Edited by mjsmith

4 hours ago, EPM? said:

Hi everyone!

Do you mind sharing your stats?

4 hours ago, EPM? said:

4 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Although it is the biggest, I was also under the impression that is because it is one of the most popular programs and receives the greatest number of applications... certainly that can be seen on this forum over the years, there are always plenty of Ed Policy people.  BUT, the good news for HGSE, and this is what gives me hope also, is that there is no "cap" on the number of students they can admit.  It's not like you have to edge out 100 people for the last slot----there are, theoretically, an infinite number of slots (and why not? You're paying THEM for the education), you just have to be qualified in their eyes.  If they want you, they can take you, without having to choose between you and someone else. ;) 

Interesting... how do you know there's not a cap?