HGSE 2016

aina7

16 minutes ago, nicolemae said:

Meh, I think it depends on how you look at it and where you've been.  I've lived in several metropolitan cities before moving to Boston, so the sticker shock was bad, but it wasn't a deal-breakerIf you want to live near walking distance to campus, it's likely that you'll have to fork up $1000+ each month for rent and utilities. It could easily be 50% more if you're looking to live alone, in a studio or similar.

Also, Cambridge residents are largely Harvard/MIT people, if that makes it any better. And most people here live with housemates; I've even seen married couples living with housemates...

Yeah I mean when I tally my entire year, I spent about $65-70k total. Tuition and insurance were about $42k of that. I had two roommates and lived walking distance to school (in Harvard housing), which was great and honestly worth the extra cash to me. There are tons of options if you're not particular about your living space. There are graduate student dorms which are very affordable. I just couldn't imagine not having my own kitchen because cooking is my meditation. Plus the bathroom sharing thing. Eek.  But they are there.  Plus, you can live much more affordably in Allston or Somerville.  Like I said, walking distance was important to me and therefore worth the about $1200 I think I spent monthly. It might have been a little less than that.

I think the cost of living is something that each person has to reckon with to some extent. When you decide what is important to you, i.e. proximity to campus, private bathrooms, personal kitchen, space, etc., you will have to decide how much you are willing to pay. Just another drop in the bucket to worry about... #gradschoolwoes

On 1/28/2016 at 10:53 AM, EdLeadershipApplicant said:

I'm surprised by this too - when I spoke with admissions folks months ago they sold the idea of building a "cohort" pretty hard, so I assumed part of the interview weekend would be in groups.  Either way, though, I suppose it makes the program/application more accessible, so that's a good thing for applicants with more limited means (especially considering how anybody admitted will be needing to pinch pennies to live in Cambridge next year!!!).

As an aside, I can't get over how expensive this whole application process has been...for a field that seemingly values "access," between application costs and GREs, etc, it seems a little absurd.

I agree about the cost thing! Not only does it cost money to get to the campus for interviews, but all the places I have had invitations to have their events during the week, which means now I have to take off of my actual job to get there! Not what i was expecting at all.

On 1/28/2016 at 4:24 PM, morifol said:

Now, really, I believe this idea of being penniless is spoiling our waiting game. Seriously, to anyone who is there in Cambridge, Is it t h a t bad? I mean there is a stipend and all. Is it bad if you live with a roommate? And Harvard housing?! I cannot get properly exhited about Harvard if I think that the Struggle Times are coming...

I was offered a job in the Cambridge/Boston area and found it hard to find anything under $800/month with roommates.  I ultimately turned down the position because I just didn't think I could afford it on the salary.  Then again, I have been known to be "high maintenance" (hehe), so I'm sure many people can and do live just fine in that area.

On 28 de enero de 2016 at 4:24 PM, morifol said:

Now, really, I believe this idea of being penniless is spoiling our waiting game. Seriously, to anyone who is there in Cambridge, Is it t h a t bad? I mean there is a stipend and all. Is it bad if you live with a roommate? And Harvard housing?! I cannot get properly exhited about Harvard if I think that the Struggle Times are coming...

I don't want to sound negative but since you seem to be based in Amsterdam, you should know that when you move here from Europe you will basically be paying much more for much less. We (married couple) live in Harvard Housing. We have a roommate (who we love and get along with great, we were very lucky!) in a 2-bedroom, 55m2 apartment. Rent for the apartment is $2,600, including utilities, our of which we pay $1,600 and our roommate pays $1,000. If we were to rent the whole apartment, we would be paying the same as we would pay to live in a similarly sized apartment in downtown Paris. Except, well, Cambridge is not Paris...

Also, groceries are MUCH more expensive than in Europe and the quality is MUCH worse. Even if you shop at the Whole Foods, in general everything has a lot more sugar and a bunch of chemicals. 

You can find an up-to-date comparison with all the numbers on Numbeo. This is also helpful for anyone who doesn't know Numbeo and wants to compare the cost of living of their current city with that of Boston or the Boston area.

On 28 de enero de 2016 at 10:53 AM, EdLeadershipApplicant said:

As an aside, I can't get over how expensive this whole application process has been...for a field that seemingly values "access," between application costs and GREs, etc, it seems a little absurd.

Unfortunately, these double standards are ubiquitous at HGSE. They advocate for collaboration versus competition in education, but they make their own students apply (i.e. compete) for spots at courses. Many professors will seem super friendly and supportive but they will not be genuinely interested in what you are doing. A professor once told me she was "super excited" about my project and after talking to her for 2 more minutes I realized that she didn't know what my project was. 

Again, I am not trying to be negative; no institution is perfect (not even Harvard) and I just think it's important to provide a balanced perspective of the pros and cons, as I have focused more on the pros in my previous posts. I have learned an awful lot at HGSE, my overall experience has been extremely positive and I would do this program again in a heartbeat. But I also wish someone had told me this kind of things before I came here; I would have still come, but I would have been more "mentally prepared" :)

48 minutes ago, elveintiocho said:

Unfortunately, these double standards are ubiquitous at HGSE. They advocate for collaboration versus competition in education, but they make their own students apply (i.e. compete) for spots at courses. Many professors will seem super friendly and supportive but they will not be genuinely interested in what you are doing. A professor once told me she was "super excited" about my project and after talking to her for 2 more minutes I realized that she didn't know what my project was. 

Again, I am not trying to be negative; no institution is perfect (not even Harvard) and I just think it's important to provide a balanced perspective of the pros and cons, as I have focused more on the pros in my previous posts. I have learned an awful lot at HGSE, my overall experience has been extremely positive and I would do this program again in a heartbeat. But I also wish someone had told me this kind of things before I came here; I would have still come, but I would have been more "mentally prepared" :)

Oh my goodness, that sucks (about the professor). I would much rather a professor ignore me and tell me I am stupid, so I could prove myself and earn their support than hypocrisy... Generally, as a higher ed scholar, I feel that honesty is a higher virtue than any kind of showy student-centered approach.

Still, do you feel you have made the necessary connections? Do you feel that the program has given you a boost strong enough, let us say, a truly Harvardian one?

1 hour ago, morifol said:

Oh my goodness, that sucks (about the professor). I would much rather a professor ignore me and tell me I am stupid, so I could prove myself and earn their support than hypocrisy... Generally, as a higher ed scholar, I feel that honesty is a higher virtue than any kind of showy student-centered approach.

Still, do you feel you have made the necessary connections? Do you feel that the program has given you a boost strong enough, let us say, a truly Harvardian one?

Oh yes, definitely. But to me it was more about the learning experience than the connections or the brand name. Coming to HGSE completely (positively) changed my view on education, and I am surprised at how much I have learned in so little time. I don't think I would have been able to do this anywhere else. HGSE has its flaws, but it's a great education school. 

On 1/27/2016 at 3:02 AM, Shlee467 said:

Congrats on the interview invite!  I know someone who was accepted to the phd program despite getting on her interview call late so I don't think you have to worry about how short it is. They just want to know your interests and such.

Thank you for the encouragement. The interview went fine, meaning not too terrific but not too bad either. I'm super anxious since I know I could have elaborated much, much more than I actually did. :( And having the interview in early morning (because of the time difference) didn't help either. Hopefully, my thank-you email with extra elaboration helped.

For anyone familiar with the PhD. admission process, do you know if they'll call the admitted students on the first Friday of February (this Friday) as they did last year? The waiting game is absolutely the worst! ugh

Applying for: Ed.M. (Straight from undergrad)
Program: Higher Education

GRE Score: V 157, Q 158, W 3.5 
Undergrad GPA:  3.86
Work Experience: Intern in Undergraduate Office of Admissions for 2 years

Leadership Experience: President of Student Ambassador group, Student-Athlete, among others
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Small Public College (Information Technology major, Psychology minor)
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Penn, Montclair State

I'm curious if I have any chance of getting in or not. Harvard is my top choice, and I think that I got really good LOR so curious if I should keep my hopes up. 

9 hours ago, XCountry0180 said:

Leadership Experience: President of Student Ambassador group, Student-Athlete, among others
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Small Public College (Information Technology major, Psychology minor)

I'm curious if I have any chance of getting in or not. Harvard is my top choice, and I think that I got really good LOR so curious if I should keep my hopes up. 

I think anything is possible, but I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum with a sub-4.0 AW score on the GRE get accepted to HGSE.  If you had a ton of work experience, I think that would make up for it, but being straight from undergrad you're already at something of a disadvantage, so you'd want your scores to be as high as possible to make up for relative lack of experience compared to other candidates with everything.  

Edited by Heather1011

11 hours ago, XCountry0180 said:

What does your LOR say? Does it just state that you are wonderful or sets you apart?

1 hour ago, morifol said:

What does your LOR say? Does it just state that you are wonderful or sets you apart?

They all had put things that set me apart from anyone else they had seen in their careers. I'm generally a good writer, and my SOP is very strong (had it reviewed by multiple people). I'm worried that the 3.5 on writing may be the only thing keeping me out.

I came across something and decided to share with all: 

Admissions Process

The process works differently at each school and program, but certain things remain roughly the same. A group will make an initial review of the applications, making a first cut by separating possible acceptances from clear rejections. At this stage, there are several reasons for rejection. The application might not be complete, the grades or GRE scores well below the program's standards, the applicant seriously lacks preparation for the program, or the recommendations are clearly negative.

The remaining applications are reviewed in more detail. In some programs, the applicants are divided among the committee members and each group settles on its favorite candidates. When the committee reconvenes, the favorites are presented to the group and the committee makes its final choices. Each committee member reviews each application before decisions are made. Some programs circulate applications for review as they become complete and then meet to make the final decisions.

During the later stages of the selection process, admission becomes more detailed and subjective. In creative programs, where your portfolio is the major consideration, the subjectivity is obvious. But even in academic programs, it's not always possible to admit every applicant with good numbers, recommendations, and relevant experience.

At this final stage, your contacts with the department come into play. A visit, your interview, the professors you've spoken with, can tilt the balance in your favor. If you've impressed a faculty member who really wants to work with you, you'll have gained an advocate on the committee. Your personal statement and stated interest can also weigh heavily here. It can help dispel any weaknesses in your application, and it can point out how you are an excellent fit with the program.

The committee will end up with a final decision with a list of applicants who will be offered spots in the program. They will also maintain a second tier of applicants who will be offered admission if people in the first round of acceptances turn down the offer.

17 minutes ago, joy27 said:

I came across something and decided to share with all: 

Admissions Process

The process works differently at each school and program, but certain things remain roughly the same. A group will make an initial review of the applications, making a first cut by separating possible acceptances from clear rejections. At this stage, there are several reasons for rejection. The application might not be complete, the grades or GRE scores well below the program's standards, the applicant seriously lacks preparation for the program, or the recommendations are clearly negative.

The remaining applications are reviewed in more detail. In some programs, the applicants are divided among the committee members and each group settles on its favorite candidates. When the committee reconvenes, the favorites are presented to the group and the committee makes its final choices. Each committee member reviews each application before decisions are made. Some programs circulate applications for review as they become complete and then meet to make the final decisions.

During the later stages of the selection process, admission becomes more detailed and subjective. In creative programs, where your portfolio is the major consideration, the subjectivity is obvious. But even in academic programs, it's not always possible to admit every applicant with good numbers, recommendations, and relevant experience.

At this final stage, your contacts with the department come into play. A visit, your interview, the professors you've spoken with, can tilt the balance in your favor. If you've impressed a faculty member who really wants to work with you, you'll have gained an advocate on the committee. Your personal statement and stated interest can also weigh heavily here. It can help dispel any weaknesses in your application, and it can point out how you are an excellent fit with the program.

The committee will end up with a final decision with a list of applicants who will be offered spots in the program. They will also maintain a second tier of applicants who will be offered admission if people in the first round of acceptances turn down the offer.

Where is this from?  Is this specific to HGSE?

Of course it wouldn't surprise me if they had an initial round that just eliminated obvious rejections.  Even if you say there's no cutoff GPA/GRE, they're likely going to throw out an application with a 2.5 and 140s on the GRE.

I just want to know how common it is for a NEGATIVE LOR to be submitted.  Like, I'm sure some of them are generic, lackluster, and impersonal, if you can't get one written by someone you know very well, but who submits outright negative LORs?  Weird.

36 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Of course it wouldn't surprise me if they had an initial round that just eliminated obvious rejections.  Even if you say there's no cutoff GPA/GRE, they're likely going to throw out an application with a 2.5 and 140s on the GRE.

I just want to know how common it is for a NEGATIVE LOR to be submitted.  Like, I'm sure some of them are generic, lackluster, and impersonal, if you can't get one written by someone you know very well, but who submits outright negative LORs?  Weird.

I would take joy27's post with a grain of salt. If you paste the text in to Google it comes from Kaplan back in 2007.

I'm currently studying at a top-10 in Education and the process is different here. Basically, the POI (or chair of specialization) looks through the portfolio. At my school they read everything and if a candidate is really stellar they will forward the letter to request scholarships/additional funding. Keep in mind, the school where I study usually does not fully fund Ph.D. students in education.

At some other schools they screen the portfolio to make sure it meets their standards. Then they forward the candidates to the professors who you listed. They can put in a yay or nay vote if they are interested in working with you. The POI may take on one or two new students per year. Some years it may not be their turn and may take no new Ph.D. students (the Harvard Education Ph.D. only takes 25 people per year... not every professor can take on a new person.)

The Masters program is very different and tends to take on a dramatically larger body of students. 

As for the LOR comment --- if your LOR are submitting negatively on your behalf, you probably are not in this forum. 

Your application is done. Relax, make yourself a nice cup of tea... and sleep easy that you did your best.

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

I have completely no idea if this is true. that being said. are recommendation letters important? I read that Obama recommended one of his personal assistant Reggie Love and he got into the university.. Of course, he was recommended by the President of USA! So the person who recommends may make a difference.. 

1 hour ago, GenericGuy said:

I would take joy27's post with a grain of salt. If you paste the text in to Google it comes from Kaplan back in 2007.

I'm currently studying at a top-10 in Education and the process is different here. Basically, the POI (or chair of specialization) looks through the portfolio. At my school they read everything and if a candidate is really stellar they will forward the letter to request scholarships/additional funding. Keep in mind, the school where I study usually does not fully fund Ph.D. students in education.

At some other schools they screen the portfolio to make sure it meets their standards. Then they forward the candidates to the professors who you listed. They can put in a yay or nay vote if they are interested in working with you. The POI may take on one or two new students per year. Some years it may not be their turn and may take no new Ph.D. students (the Harvard Education Ph.D. only takes 25 people per year... not every professor can take on a new person.)

The Masters program is very different and tends to take on a dramatically larger body of students. 

As for the LOR comment --- if your LOR are submitting negatively on your behalf, you probably are not in this forum. 

Your application is done. Relax, make yourself a nice cup of tea... and sleep easy that you did your best.

I have totally no idea whether it is true and how it works. it is just something i read and worth a thought. maybe Harvard operates differently.. for both PHD and Masters student.. 

After reading this tread, I had concluded my chance of even getting an interview was between slim and none! Now I'm sure of it!! Best wishes to everyone who has the high GRE scores. Mine suck!!! Based on the above posts that is the first point of elimination. 

On 2016. 2. 2. at 0:02 AM, XCountry0180 said:

Like someone said before me, you'll need to re-take GRE to get at least 4.0 on W.

If you had 3.5, you could have been just unlucky and had one tough grader. 

(for PhD Applicants)

Hi all,

I just called HGSE's admissions and they said that they can confirm that all interview invitations have been sent out already. Since the deliberations are still in process, the admission results are not final. We'll know regardless, by mid to late Feb, if we're accepted or not... through the portal...

Edited by geeraf