HGSE 2016

aina7

3 hours ago, edldwannabe said:

Said I was going to give it until tomorrow, but considering the hour here, and no email, I am not one of the chosen few. All things considered, I'm not surprised. Best wishes to the fall 2016 Ed.L.D. cohort.

Why giving up tonight?

12 hours ago, edldwannabe said:

Just trying to be realistic. Hopes were high. In fact, too high. Really wanted this, but with interviews in two weeks it seems logical.

I don't think it's 100% quitting time yet. People heard on the 12th last year. I'm feeling like it's unlikely, too, but haven't totally ruled it out yet.

12 hours ago, edldwannabe said:

Just trying to be realistic. Hopes were high. In fact, too high. Really wanted this, but with interviews in two weeks it seems logical.

Truthfully, I know my resume will be a better fit for the program in one more year, but I didn't want to wait that long because that's really two more years. By August, I know I'll be where I want to be going into the program, but unfortunately, my resume only reflected one year of work since my masters and that's probably not ideal for the program. I talked to a few EdLDs in DC last weekend who are in their residency year and they said that being so close to my masters was going to work against me.

1 hour ago, Shlee467 said:

Truthfully, I know my resume will be a better fit for the program in one more year, but I didn't want to wait that long because that's really two more years. By August, I know I'll be where I want to be going into the program, but unfortunately, my resume only reflected one year of work since my masters and that's probably not ideal for the program. I talked to a few EdLDs in DC last weekend who are in their residency year and they said that being so close to my masters was going to work against me.

I'm only 3 years out from my Master's, so I am going to pin it on my resume too if I don't get the nod. I just want someone to confirm they have an interview invitation so I can put myself out of my anxious misery! 

I have two graduate degrees and several years of experience. I'm sure my references were good. I thought my essays were sound as well. GRE scores not fabulous, but have a high gpa. I guess those chosen were best all round. 

14 minutes ago, Escussel said:

I'll maintain hope until I receive valid rejection... Hold on!

I'm feeling quite optimistic, believe it or not!  If they invite me the day before the interview, I'm there!  In my heart, I know they have at least one more slot left..in my mind, it belongs to me!

On 2/5/2016 at 4:48 AM, morifol said:

Btw, has any international student here had an interview?

Applying for Ph.D.
Language background: International student (English is my third language)
Program: HDLT (accepted for Fall 2016)
GRE Score: V 161, Q 161, AWA: 5.0
GPA: N/A

• My major starts from the sophomore year and gives out written evaluations, not grades, for the sophomore year, so the overall GPA cannot be calculated
  • My transcript says 3.42 for my freshman, junior and senior years
  • Major GPA: probably around 3.8 (I struggled a lot during my first year largely because of my language issues, so my freshman GPA is quite low while my junior and senior GPA is relatively high. I guess it somehow shows my learning curve...?)

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 15 liberal arts college in America
Research Experience:

• 2 years of research assistant work and TA-ing in college
  • 2 years of research work after graduation (while working as a full-time teacher)
  • edited 2 papers published by my research boss
  • publishing an article soon

Work Experience:

• 3 years of teaching at an after-school institute/ start-up
  • interim head teacher experience

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Teachers College, Philosophy and Education Ph.D.

Hello, fellow international student! I posted a while ago about the interview offer, but I forgot to mention that I was an international. 

I got a call from the Dean on 2/9 in Japan Time (around 6 pm on 2/8 in Cambridge) and was told that I was admitted to the program. I cried and had legit difficulty breathing since I thought that my performance at the interview was mediocre at best and that I wouldn't get in. I am humbled and honored to be part of the Ph.D. cohort! I also feel grateful for the current and past HGSE threads. I learned quite a bit from them. I hope posting my stats here will help future applicants, especially internationals since it's difficult to acquire insider information if you live abroad...

As for the current status of the Ph.D. admission, given that every admitted student probably has different ideas in mind (some of them might be thinking of deferring for financial or family-related reasons while others might be debating between HGSE and other schools), I would say that there is still a chance. Crossing my fingers for you all!

Edited by wannabephd89

52 minutes ago, wannabephd89 said:

Applying for Ph.D.

• My major starts from the sophomore year and gives out written evaluations, not grades, for the sophomore year, so the overall GPA cannot be calculated
  • Major GPA: probably around 3.8 (I struggled a lot during my first year largely because of my language issues, so my freshman GPA is quite low while my junior and senior GPA is relatively high. I guess it somehow shows my learning curve...?)

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 15 liberal arts college in America
Research Experience:

• 2 years of research work after graduation (while working as a full-time teacher)

Work Experience:

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Teachers College, Philosophy and Education Ph.D.

Hello, fellow international student! I posted a while ago about the interview offer, but I forgot to mention that I was an international. 

I got a call from the Dean on 2/9 in Japan Time (around 6 pm on 2/8 in Cambridge) and was told that I was admitted to the program. I cried and had legit difficulty breathing since I thought that my performance at the interview was mediocre at best and that I wouldn't get in. I am humbled and honored to be part of the Ph.D. cohort! I also feel grateful for the current and past HGSE threads. I learned quite a bit from them. I hope posting my stats here will help future applicants, especially internationals since it's difficult to acquire insider information if you live abroad...

As for the current status of the Ph.D. admission, given that every admitted student probably has different ideas in mind (some of them might be thinking of deferring for financial or family-related reasons while others might be debating between HGSE and other schools), I would say that there is still a chance. Crossing my fingers for you all!

Wow! congratulations! 

15 hours ago, wannabephd89 said:

Applying for Ph.D.

Research Experience:

Work Experience:

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome! You're going to do great things!

Just called admissions for confirmation.  All Ed.L.D. interview invitations have gone out.  I wasn't one of the chosen few.  Surprised no one on this thread got one.  All of the credentials shared were great, but then who am I to say what they wanted.  Best of luck to everyone in all of your endeavors.  Thanks for sharing and allowing me to vent!:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, nicolemae said:

Welp... just got my official rejection for my PhD application.  Pretty bummed out but relieved that there's closure! :mellow:

I am sorry to learn that! Well, looks like some great universities like you :) I, too, got a rejection. Closure, yes. One more year for me.

2 hours ago, nicolemae said:

Welp... just got my official rejection for my PhD application.  Pretty bummed out but relieved that there's closure! :mellow:

Same here. Just got my official rejection from the PhD program as well. Fingers crossed now for the M.Ed. referral

10 hours ago, edldwannabe said:

Just called admissions for confirmation.  All Ed.L.D. interview invitations have gone out.  I wasn't one of the chosen few.  Surprised no one on this thread got one.  All of the credentials shared were great, but then who am I to say what they wanted.  Best of luck to everyone in all of your endeavors.  Thanks for sharing and allowing me to vent!:rolleyes:

I'm disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to interview. I genuinely thought I would be a great fit for the program, and it for me. Nevertheless, I wish everyone the best of luck. If anyone is in the DC/NoVa area and wants to grab coffee with other like-minded educators, I think we should all get together for coffee in DC in the near future.

On 2/11/2016 at 3:08 PM, SilentObserver said:

First, wanted to say hi everyone! I've never posted, but I've been frequenting the site throughout this whole process so I feel like I've gotten to know some of y'all but selfishly haven't participated. In many ways, I've felt very supported and encouraged by the community here so thank you so much. 

I got the PhD acceptance call from the dean this week and had my interview in January.  

Congrats! :) I enjoy teaching at the college level and find it very gratifying to be able to have a positive impact on my students. It gives me great joy to encourage my students and to see positive results in their academic performance as a result of my teaching style and supportive nature. Encouragement and support are vital to the success of a society, and it's refreshing to see you use those words on this forum.

This also is my first night of communicating on this forum, although I did read some message prior hereto and did correspond on another forum.

Best of luck to everyone! :) 

On 10/5/2015 at 1:58 AM, Gvh said:

Hi all, 

I graduated from the Human Development and Psychology Ed.M program in 2013, mostly with research-oriented interests - currently applying to PhD programs in educational neuroscience. I'd be happy to answer any questions for people interested in the master's program :)

Hi,

I had one question. I was accepted to HDP 2015. I had also accepted the decision only for my financial planning to fall apart in last minute and there was no way I could make it. I asked for deferment, but they said I couldn't get on based on financial reasons. So I applied again this year. Does this have weight their decisions? Me not taking it up last year, does it affect this year's decisions?

Hey @aradhna -- that is hard to say for sure. I doubt they would reject you solely based on the fact that your finaid fell through last year, but it is possible you won't get in for other reasons (e.g. super strong applicant pool this year, etc). I think the best you can do is just hope for the best! Decisions usually come out the first week of March.

7 hours ago, aradhna said:

Hi,

I had one question. I was accepted to HDP 2015. I had also accepted the decision only for my financial planning to fall apart in last minute and there was no way I could make it. I asked for deferment, but they said I couldn't get on based on financial reasons. So I applied again this year. Does this have weight their decisions? Me not taking it up last year, does it affect this year's decisions?

I agree with Gvh. I know at least one student in this year's cohort (I'm sure there are more) who got in a few years ago, said no, and applied and got in again this year. I also know another one who didn't get in a few years ago and got in this year. 

On 2/17/2016 at 10:30 PM, Gvh said:

Hey @aradhna -- that is hard to say for sure. I doubt they would reject you solely based on the fact that your finaid fell through last year, but it is possible you won't get in for other reasons (e.g. super strong applicant pool this year, etc). I think the best you can do is just hope for the best! Decisions usually come out the first week of March.

So our masters' results will be released on the first week of March? Will they like call to notify you or via email or via the portal. are you aware?