HGSE 2016

aina7

2 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

I am inculcating myself with the claim that it will probably be next Friday, March 11th. Anything earlier would be a pleasant surprise.

Why do you insist on hurting me like this? :P 

1 hour ago, NOTObsessiveForumChecker said:

ok, guys-- so what do you think: this Friday or early next week? :wacko:

I think it will be Tuesday (8 March) next week (although I am hoping for this Friday). 

2 hours ago, NOTObsessiveForumChecker said:

ok, guys-- so what do you think: this Friday or early next week? :wacko:

I can't decide. I originally thought it would be this Friday, but then @graciasadios said they got a message which means they're still reviewing applications. i feel like if they were planning on releasing friday, then they're cutting it pretty close if they're still looking at apps, you know? at this point, the sooner the better. i'm in a constant cycle of:

I can do it! -> 50/50 shot! -> i'm a failure -> I can do it! -> 50/50 shot! -> I'm a failure

4 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

I can do it! -> 50/50 shot! -> i'm a failure -> I can do it! -> 50/50 shot! -> I'm a failure

I sympathize. I'm in the stage now where I'm making plans for no-Harvard next fall, one I'm excited about as well. So, just in case, I'll have something to look forward to either way.

8 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

I can't decide. I originally thought it would be this Friday, but then @graciasadios said they got a message which means they're still reviewing applications. i feel like if they were planning on releasing friday, then they're cutting it pretty close if they're still looking at apps, you know? at this point, the sooner the better. i'm in a constant cycle of:

Ahhh, this makes me worry that y'all are right and we have another week of waiting ahead of us.  But, at the same time, if they were all done, there'd be no point in sitting on the decisions until Friday at all... certainly they *do* work on the applications up until the day before they decide.  I don't know, someone ever work in an admissions office? :D  I'm still hopeful.

1 minute ago, Kompetent said:

I hear from a friend (student) at HGSE that they just got blasted with an email to sign up to make phone calls to accepted students next Wednesday. So let's put all our angst on 3/9 and be pleasantly surprised if it's earlier.

Thank you for this update! Good to know that we'll hear before then (or at least will know by then).

Edited by mjsmith

10 minutes ago, Kompetent said:

I hear from a friend (student) at HGSE that they just got blasted with an email to sign up to make phone calls to accepted students next Wednesday. So let's put all our angst on 3/9 and be pleasantly surprised if it's earlier.

I read somewhere earlier on this thread (maybe?) that they send the acceptances out first, and then followed by calls a few days later. does that mean we'll get decisions on friday and then followed by calls on wednesday? 

2 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

I read somewhere earlier on this thread (maybe?) that they send the acceptances out first, and then followed by calls a few days later. does that mean we'll get decisions on friday and then followed by calls on wednesday? 

I remember reading that somewhere too. I'm with you and hoping that decisions will be sent out on Friday.

I receive emails from admission office as well. One was pertaining to recommendation letter, then a few days later, it was was pertaining to subject requirement list. Both were sometime back in January. I also emailed them once that I have missed out inputting some information and they have inserted it in my application form as well. After everything was done, I receive an email saying 

"Thank you for your e-mail.

I have added these documents to your application. Your application is now complete and will be moved forward in the admissions process.

Please feel free to contact me should you require any further information.

I interpreted as they take every candidate seriously and they do consider every application hostically.

@mjsmith or @dear_valentine07 Could either of you find where this was said? We could count how many days there were between calls from students and the day admissions decisions were released that year. This might give us a better estimate than we currently have. Haha, the anticipation is palpable in this thread.

11 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

@mjsmith or @dear_valentine07 Could either of you find where this was said? We could count how many days there were between calls from students and the day admissions decisions were released that year. This might give us a better estimate than we currently have. Haha, the anticipation is palpable in this thread.

@graciasadios, Let me do some looking right now and I'll post the info I find here.

15 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

@graciasadios, at the bottom of pg 13 of the "HGSE Fall 2014" group here, one of the members there (merrysoprano) talked about they as current students were calling accepted students on a Tuesday, and the acceptance e-mails that year went out on the Friday prior to that Tuesday. Below is the link to that page:

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/42563-hgse-fall-2014/?page=13#comment-1058101918

I found two pieces of corroborating evidence on page 18 of the HGSE 2015 thread. An accepted student was called by a current student on Thursday, 3/12/15. Another accepted student was called by his/her program director on Wednesday, 3/11/15. Admission decisions came out on Friday, 3/6/15. @Kompetent Your tip about current students being asked to make calls was definitely the linchpin in this investigation. @mjsmith Good work! I'm pretty much expecting it to be this Friday (3/4/16)!

3 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

This is so exciting!! If they make calls on Wednesday, I bet we'll hear Friday :D:D  Thanks for all the intel, snoops!

I'm so nervous! Can't wait to hear back.. good luck to everyone. Do people know if they send out acceptances and rejections at the same time to everyone?

I'm literally bouncing around the house (or so I feel). Just got accepted to Stanford, and I think Stanford is similarly competitive to Harvard, so I'm hoping that bodes well for my chances for HGSE. Oh man, if I'm fortunate enough to get to choose between the two, I have no clue how I'll make that decision.

58 minutes ago, nrvsandexcited94 said:

I'm so nervous! Can't wait to hear back.. good luck to everyone. Do people know if they send out acceptances and rejections at the same time to everyone?

@nrvsandexcited94, I think both acceptances and rejections are sent out at the same time. At least that seems to be the case in previous years.

11 minutes ago, writegirl said:

I'm literally bouncing around the house (or so I feel). Just got accepted to Stanford, and I think Stanford is similarly competitive to Harvard, so I'm hoping that bodes well for my chances for HGSE. Oh man, if I'm fortunate enough to get to choose between the two, I have no clue how I'll make that decision.

Congratulations @writegirl! Hopefully the good news will keep coming for you (and the rest of us) this Friday. :)

1 hour ago, graciasadios said:

I found two pieces of corroborating evidence on page 18 of the HGSE 2015 thread. An accepted student was called by a current student on Thursday, 3/12/15. Another accepted student was called by his/her program director on Wednesday, 3/11/15. Admission decisions came out on Friday, 3/6/15. @Kompetent Your tip about current students being asked to make calls was definitely the linchpin in this investigation. @mjsmith Good work! I'm pretty much expecting it to be this Friday (3/4/16)!

Glad we could all solve this together! :D 

8 minutes ago, dkh2121 said:

@writegirl did Stanford notify you by email or phone call?

By email. I was completely expecting it to be about something missing in my application - I don't think they've sent out notices this early in the past. Thanks for the congratulations. I'm hoping hard for good news for all of you too!

18 minutes ago, writegirl said:

By email. I was completely expecting it to be about something missing in my application - I don't think they've sent out notices this early in the past. Thanks for the congratulations. I'm hoping hard for good news for all of you too!

@writegirl may I ask which program you had applied to? I am an applicant to the POLS program, and am beginning to get stressed !!!