HGSE 2016

aina7

Just now, HBDXB said:

@writegirl may I ask which program you had applied to? I am an applicant to the POLS program, and am beginning to get stressed !!!

I applied to the LDT program. The master's programs seem to be smaller at Stanford, so maybe they send out notices by department. I hope you get in!

20 hours ago, Kompetent said:

I hear from a friend (student) at HGSE that they just got blasted with an email to sign up to make phone calls to accepted students next Wednesday. So let's put all our angst on 3/9 and be pleasantly surprised if it's earlier.

Also, on a separate note... how fun would this be next year, as an HGSE student, to get to call an accepted student?  I personally would love doing that.  Granted, it'd be way more fun if that was the first time they're hearing it, but still!

7 hours ago, writegirl said:

I applied to the LDT program. The master's programs seem to be smaller at Stanford, so maybe they send out notices by department. I hope you get in!

I got admitted to the LDT too - I heard that many of those accepted to both HGSE and Stanford eventually choose Stanford, partly due to the smaller cohort size. 

12 minutes ago, eduphd said:

I got admitted to the LDT too - I heard that many of those accepted to both HGSE and Stanford eventually choose Stanford, partly due to the smaller cohort size. 

Congratulations! I just checked my spam mail and realized that I got into the ICE program! Hope good news will keep coming for all of us! 

14 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Also, on a separate note... how fun would this be next year, as an HGSE student, to get to call an accepted student?  I personally would love doing that.  Granted, it'd be way more fun if that was the first time they're hearing it, but still!

Confirming that I was on the HGSE 2014 thread and I got my acceptance letter late Friday evening (I was in the UK at that time)! I also participated in the phone-a-thon as a current student the following year. You're right, it's a blast!  Granted, they already know they've been accepted, but I loved the note of surprise when the prospective students pick up the phone and realize it's a fellow HGSE student. They also have a special phone-a-thon for students of color, which was very meaningful to me.  I was flattered and very grateful when I received that call.

*also a heads up: if you do get accepted and receive the call, there is no need to impress the student or to bombard them with questions!  I always preempted my phone call by saying "you totally don't have to ask me impressive and open-ended questions right now; feel free to save my number and just call me whenever you want" to somewhat lower their stress levels, but that wasn't part of the script, ha.

Hey, so I'm going to be out of the country all next week. This may be a dumb question, but if they call you for an acceptance, would you get a voicemail? Also, will they send an email to check your application status online? 

3 hours ago, nicolemae said:

Confirming that I was on the HGSE 2014 thread and I got my acceptance letter late Friday evening (I was in the UK at that time)! I also participated in the phone-a-thon as a current student the following year. You're right, it's a blast!  Granted, they already know they've been accepted, but I loved the note of surprise when the prospective students pick up the phone and realize it's a fellow HGSE student. They also have a special phone-a-thon for students of color, which was very meaningful to me.  I was flattered and very grateful when I received that call.

*also a heads up: if you do get accepted and receive the call, there is no need to impress the student or to bombard them with questions!  I always preempted my phone call by saying "you totally don't have to ask me impressive and open-ended questions right now; feel free to save my number and just call me whenever you want" to somewhat lower their stress levels, but that wasn't part of the script, ha.

Will the person who calls you be someone from your program?  That would be awesome.

4 hours ago, nicolemae said:

Hello! Just a quick question -- do you know if there is a wait list? Or is it just straight acceptance/rejection? Thanks :) 

@Heather1011 I believe the regular phone-a-thons are specific to program; I don't think the student of color calls are specific to program.  I can see them going back & forth on the latter, though, especially depending on supply of callers and how that varies year to year.

@gradstudenttobe33 I don't recall anyone at gradcafe being waitlisted for master's programs during my admissions year! I don't think HGSE has a goal of filling "quotas" or "caps" per program, which I think other folks have mentioned here in the past, so I doubt that waitlisting is a go-to for them. For the most part it should be a straight acceptance or rejection. I believe the results section indicates similarly.

20 minutes ago, nicolemae said:

@Heather1011 I believe the regular phone-a-thons are specific to program; I don't think the student of color calls are specific to program.  I can see them going back & forth on the latter, though, especially depending on supply of callers and how that varies year to year.

@gradstudenttobe33 I don't recall anyone at gradcafe being waitlisted for master's programs during my admissions year! I don't think HGSE has a goal of filling "quotas" or "caps" per program, which I think other folks have mentioned here in the past, so I doubt that waitlisting is a go-to for them. For the most part it should be a straight acceptance or rejection. I believe the results section indicates similarly.

This makes sense about the waitlist!  They have no limit, so if they want you, they'll take you! :)  And if they don't.... bye bye! :(  Still, waitlists are terrible, the purgatory would be unbearable anyway.

Today my 7th grade students were giving me major attitude (which they have 10x more of than I do), so I just started thinking about my hopes and dreams for tomorrow and just tuned it all out. :D

1 hour ago, writegirl said:

Maybe 24 more hours to go! So full of nervous energy, and pretty useless at work!

1 hour ago, gradstudenttobe33 said:

Hahaha. Same here! Eyes are glued to this thread instead of doing anything productive. DEAR ALL, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

@writegirl and @gradstudenttobe33, I'm totally in the same boat. I can only imagine what tomorrow will be like.

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE TOMORROW!

Oh dear. 3 pm is right at the beginning of my class with 5th graders. I guess that's the best part about teaching. Regardless of what's on my mind, good or bad, my students hold 100% of my attention once they arrive, and time flies. I'll try to force myself not to look until after class and I go home!

16 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

Last year's admission decisions were released at around 3:00 PM EST.

Shout out to the lurkers who've been with us from the start of this thread! Good luck to y'all tomorrow ;)

10 minutes ago, writegirl said:

Oh dear. 3 pm is right at the beginning of my class with 5th graders. I guess that's the best part about teaching. Regardless of what's on my mind, good or bad, my students hold 100% of my attention once they arrive, and time flies. I'll try to force myself not to look until after class and I go home!

OMG, 3 PM is not OK!!! :lol:  I am going to be in teacher meetings at that time, and while everyone knows that I am leaving for grad school next year, I'm not sure if they'll be OK with me refreshing my computer instead of analyzing test scores :lol:  Of course, getting the information while teaching would be even crazier.  

1 hour ago, nicolemae said:

Thank you for your help, @nicolemae! That makes sense, it doesn't look like they have any caps of quotas. It's anyone's game! Now... the wait until 3PM begins haha... less than 24 hours people! :lol:

12 minutes ago, writegirl said:

Yes! I am a teacher, too, but thankfully my day ends right at 3:00pm! At least we know the day will go by quickly :)

8 minutes ago, travelgirl125 said:

Yes! I am a teacher, too, but thankfully my day ends right at 3:00pm! At least we know the day will go by quickly :)

I'm giving a test tomorrow... followed by PD from 3-4, so I'm going to be watching the clock tick slowly by, instead of being so busy I don't notice the time!! *sigh*

I wish HGSE just could send me a text alert.  "CONGRATS!" :lol:  Maybe that's the future of admissions.  All you technology and higher ed people, get on that! :P 

Edited by Heather1011

2 hours ago, gradstudenttobe33 said:

Also -- is anyone else here an applicant to the Human Development and Psychology Ed.M.?

Hi! I did! hopefully there's good news for both of us tomorrow!