PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

On January 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Jade355 said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone heard anything from Brown yet?

Brown sent out invites earlier this month, and recruitment day for all tracks is 1/29.

Edited by L265

Hello, I am happy and sad that I found this cafe TODAY..

I would like to join in the chat- there are several intersections- and now I am afraider than before since I applied just a few schools.

Undergrad School: Public state
Undergrad Overall/Major GPA: 3.9/4.0
Major: psychology

Grad School: Ivy 
Grad GPA: not calculated/assume around 3.5
GRE: 155V/160Q/3.0W

Research/Publications/Experience/LOR:

• Clinical research at a cancer and a diabetes center 
  • clinical-developmental research at an autism center/a psycholinguistic lab
  • 4 poster presentations (graduate level conferences)
  • Master's thesis 
  • Funded partially during graduate school, and during internship in UN organization
  • Volunteer experience in developing/conflicting countries
  • Letters of Recommendations: 1 from graduate thesis advisor; 1 from graduate faculty mentor; 1 from internship supervisor – at least 1 would be strong

Applied:  

1.         Harvard (Ph.D.,Population Health Science: Global Health and Population)- No Response Yet (Jan 28, 2016)
  2.           Johns Hopkins (Ph.D., Mental Health)-Interview Offered (Jan 26th, 2016)
  3.       Columbia (DrPH, Leadership in Global Health and Humanitarian System)-No Response Yet (Jan 28, 2016)
  •          Besides...Columbia TC (Ph.D., Clinical Psychology)- No Response Yet (Jan 28, 2016)

POI at Johns Hopkins reached out for a Skype meeting 2 days ago. It was thankful but an unexpected event, since the Mental Health program at Johns Hopkins wrote that interview is NOT required in the admission process.

Even the POI is not in the school, but in Europe, probably for research, but wants "to discuss further about the application" via Skype.

How should I interpret this situation? Need helps. 

Edited by breathin

On January 22, 2016 at 7:21 AM, storm_jonas said:

Hi all

I just had an interview with University of Washington recently and I'll be going to the University of Michigan Doctoral Day next week. My interviewer at Washington didn't match well with my interests so I'm not sure why we were paired for the interview. I haven't heard anything about next steps yet but I guess i can hope.

Applied: Hopkins Epi PhD, Hopkins IH GDEC PhD, Harvard Pop. Health Science PhD (Epi), Yale Microbial Epidemiology PhD, U of Michigan Epi PhD, U of Washington Global Health Metrics PhD

Do you know if the University of Michigan Doctoral Day is only for the Epi PhD program? I applied to another public health department and it is unclear.  Thank you!!

On 1/28/2016 at 2:07 PM, breathin said:

Hello, I am happy and sad that I found this cafe TODAY..

I would like to join in the chat- there are several intersections- and now I am afraider than before since I applied just a few schools.

Undergrad School: Public state
Undergrad Overall/Major GPA: 3.9/4.0

Grad School: Ivy 
Grad GPA: not calculated/assume around 3.5
GRE: 155V/160Q/3.0W

Research/Publications/Experience/LOR:

• Clinical research at a cancer and a diabetes center 
  • clinical-developmental research at an autism center/a psycholinguistic lab
  • 4 poster presentations (graduate level conferences)
  • Master's thesis 
  • Funded partially during graduate school, and during internship in UN organization
  • Volunteer experience in developing/conflicting countries
  • Letters of Recommendations: 1 from graduate thesis advisor; 1 from graduate faculty mentor; 1 from internship supervisor – at least 1 would be strong

Applied:  

1.         Harvard (Ph.D.,Population Health Science: Global Health and Population)- No Response Yet (Jan 28, 2016)
  2.           Johns Hopkins (Ph.D., Mental Health)-Interview Offered (Jan 26th, 2016)
  3.       Columbia (DrPH, Leadership in Global Health and Humanitarian System)-No Response Yet (Jan 28, 2016)
  •          Besides...Columbia TC (Ph.D., Clinical Psychology)- No Response Yet (Jan 28, 2016)

POI at Johns Hopkins reached out for a Skype meeting 2 days ago. It was thankful but an unexpected event, since the Mental Health program at Johns Hopkins wrote that interview is NOT required in the admission process.

Even the POI is not in the school, but in Europe, probably for research, but wants "to discuss further about the application" via Skype.

How should I interpret this situation? Need helps. 

I think they just want to know you as a person. Take this as an opportunity to get to know the program, the people. Share your vision with the interviewer. This is great news for you. Good luck.

Congratulations @calilife and @PsychChick! That is awesome! Are you guys both accepting????

@AlphacentauriC - Congrats on the skype interview! I hope it goes well. I would take that as an awesome sign! Let us know when you hear more!

I heard from OSU with "information" on a possible student position, but not an acceptance because I earlier withdrew. Waiting to hear from IU- Bloomington - my dream school!

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:07 AM, PsychChick said:

Got into UCLA!!:) Community Health Sciences, Phd. Did anyone else applied to this program? Do you know how this program and department is? Any information will be appreciated! 

@PsychChick I believe I was also admitted. I received a phone call. Is that how you were informed? I did not get a formal letter. It seems like a great program. What are your thoughts? Feel free to PM me.

On January 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM, drph_phd_hopeful said:

Do you know if the University of Michigan Doctoral Day is only for the Epi PhD program? I applied to another public health department and it is unclear.  Thank you!!

Sorry for not replying earlier! It was only for Epi PhD. Other departments have their own process. There were probably 30 applicants there this year

On February 1, 2016 at 6:03 AM, ph_phd said:

@PsychChick I believe I was also admitted. I received a phone call. Is that how you were informed? I did not get a formal letter. It seems like a great program. What are your thoughts? Feel free to PM me.

I applied but have not received a call from them. Do they offer interviews? 

5 hours ago, drph_phd_hopeful said:

I applied but have not received a call from them. Do they offer interviews? 

No. I did not interview. Did you apply for DRPH or PHD? I applied to Community Health Services!

Has anyone applied to Arnold (HP&M)?  I'm trying to see if anyone else had an interview.  Mine was a couple weeks ago. 

Edited by J. R., MPPA

1 hour ago, PsychChick said:

At OregonState? That's awesome! Congratulations!! 

Yup! They said they can only nominate one student across all the tracks. Now I will compete with students from the university overall.