WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I have a Skype interview questions to those who did/are doing skype interviews soon. Did you guys use earphones or headphones during the interview? Is it ok to do so? Since my laptop's speakers are weak already it's easier to hear with earphones or headphones on so I'm just wondering if it's okay to do so just incase I ever get an interview. Thanks :D

43 minutes ago, raaawr said:

I have a Skype interview questions to those who did/are doing skype interviews soon. Did you guys use earphones or headphones during the interview? Is it ok to do so? Since my laptop's speakers are weak already it's easier to hear with earphones or headphones on so I'm just wondering if it's okay to do so just incase I ever get an interview. Thanks :D

Only if they are these.

In all seriousness, I think it's probably fine, though if it were me, I'd probably apologize for the fact (even if you don't think it's a big deal). It's just considerate to do so. 

It's much better to communication well rather than look well, I say.

990635p.jpg

6 hours ago, underwater said:

Super fun update: As a native North Carolinian, yes, east coast schools are closing tomorrow.  So I can count on continuing to not hear anything from those schools forever.

It's cool, I'll self-medicate by rewatching Buffy for the thousandth time.

Wow really? I haven't heard anything about schools closing yet! I'm up here in PA, and the storm isn't supposed to start for us til this evening! In fact, I'm gonna get a haircut tonight before it hits :-P

Check the websites of the schools to which you're applying! Maybe they're open today after all! :-D

24 minutes ago, Neist said:

Only if they are these.

In all seriousness, I think it's probably fine, though if it were me, I'd probably apologize for the fact (even if you don't think it's a big deal). It's just considerate to do so. 

It's much better to communication well rather than look well, I say.

990635p.jpg

lol!!! it's like a techie ariana grande look. lol! 

I'm about to get snowed in for the weekend by the looks of the latest weather models. My first even real blizzard... even though I've lived in DC for 18 months, I'm a Florida woman at heart. Not sure if I should feel more awestruck or terrified!

No worries, I bought two bottles of wine and some Wild Turkey to keep me warm.

6 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I'm about to get snowed in for the weekend by the looks of the latest weather models. My first even real blizzard... even though I've lived in DC for 18 months, I'm a Florida woman at heart. Not sure if I should feel more awestruck or terrified!

Only 2 bottles?! Yikes I have 8 + whiskey + tequila in my dorm room right now, with no chance of getting snowed in!! Good luck :D 

Haha, thanks! I figured I'd make some mulled wine and relax through Saturday and Sunday; the Wild Turkey is for hot toddies. We still have a couple hours before the snow is expected to start falling, and now I'm tempted to pick up another bottle just in case!

32 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

You have to promise us to make at least ONE snowman.

On 1/5/2016 at 8:48 PM, artsy16 said:

@haltheincandescentI thought it was normal for stores (at least grocery stores/supper markets) not to sell alcohol on Sundays. I like it that way (but don't have strong feelings on it), but I'm also not a "drinker". I can count on 2 hands how many drinks I've had in my life (ok, maybe 3 hands :p). 

50 states & probably about 100+ variations on how, when and where one can purchase alcohol.

On 1/7/2016 at 10:03 PM, gingin6789 said:

Dishsoap that's awful!! I'm so sorry to hear you had such a draining experience :-(

I spent tonight watching Harry Potter with my fiancé and having a beer (a Porter, specifically). Thought that would be appropriate to mention in this thread. :-)

If you can find it - Great Lakes Brewing 'Harry Porter & the Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Bean'

3 hours ago, avflinsch said:

If you can find it - Great Lakes Brewing 'Harry Porter & the Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Bean'

Okay that sounds amazing. Any chance I can get it in the UK? (Goes to google) Nope. Come on grad school, yet another reason to accept me! 

Good luck to all of you on the east coast about to get swamped by snow (apparently there's a big storm?!). 

In other related news today, if this grad school thing doesn't work out I think I have an excellent career as a tex-mex chef in my future, provided I'm allowed to drink tequila on the job.

10 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Okay that sounds amazing. Any chance I can get it in the UK? (Goes to google) Nope. Come on grad school, yet another reason to accept me! 

Good luck to all of you on the east coast about to get swamped by snow (apparently there's a big storm?!). 

In other related news today, if this grad school thing doesn't work out I think I have an excellent career as a tex-mex chef in my future, provided I'm allowed to drink tequila on the job.

Yeah it's starting up tonight. Bah humbug. I thought we wouldn't get snow this winter... 

Actually I could really go for some tex mex food now! 

Edited by gingin6789

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Yeah it's starting up tonight. Bah humbug. I thought we wouldn't get snow this winter... 

Actually I could really go for some tex mex food now! 

Ahh me and my friend decided to do a big blowout "Fat Friday" so we had nachos with homemade guac and salsa, with a quinoa & rice based fajita mix with refried beans and a tonne of cheese. Was SO good. I needed to be rolled home though! 

Ohhhh grad school related news! 2 POIs emailed me today!! One to finally schedule my skype interview (I've known about it since before Xmas but no date so far) and the other to feedback on my fellowship statement! YAY progress :) 

Just saw a job posting for my field that says....

Required education: Master's degree or better.

Like, couldn't it just say "or higher"? Does it really have to say better? Does it really need to remind me that the piece of paper in my bedroom is basically worthless. 

6 hours ago, raaawr said:

I have a Skype interview this evening. I'm going to have earphones ready in case it's really hard to hear (it shouldn't be), but I'm not going to automatically start wearing them. I'm also going to have water somewhere off-screen in case I have a problem  with coughing fits or something else entirely unflattering. 

I apologize to everyone where I thought, "at least you got an interview, you lucky bastard" when I was just compulsively checking my email and nothing was there. I'm just trying to prepare the best way I know how: drinking coffee and watching Netflix. (After I re-read abstracts and drafted questions for my POI, of course.)