WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Doesn't concern graduate school, but...

My undergrad program just offered me a TA/grader position for an undergraduate course this semester. I'll make some money, it'll look great on a resume. I'm pleased.

Still have to make sure that it's doable from the HR side of things. I already have a permanent appointment on campus and it's complicated how I'll get paid for the TA position. My budget head has to okay it first.

Edited by Neist
Typos, typos, and typos.

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

My undergrad program just offered me a TA/grader position for an undergraduate course this semester. I'll make some money, it'll look great on a resume. I'm pleased.

Still have to make sure that it's doable from the HR side of things. I already have a permanent appointment on campus and it's complicated how I'll get paid for the TA position. My budget head has to okay it first.

Congrats!! I'm also a TA, and I love it. I'm sure you will too :D

And yes... money and resume building! Wahoo!

34 minutes ago, Neist said:

Congrats Neist! I always had a blast with TA-ing....the best part? Reading your reviews at the end--they can be hysterical. :)

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Today I was admitted to Boulder with a $10k signing bonus. My top choice! HALLELUJAH :D

Whoa, that is awesome! I applied to Boulder (for a Masters in Geography) and am still waiting to hear back. It is my first choice school so I am keeping my fingers crossed! Congratulations and good luck!!!

Congrats @Pink Fuzzy Bunny! And I hope everyone is enjoying the snow. University was cancelled so I've been kinda studying/being in sweats all day. Also checking my email constantly. But its only been a week so I'm going to be waiting for awhile. Did anyone else have a Jan 15th deadline?

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Congrats @Pink Fuzzy Bunny! And I hope everyone is enjoying the snow. University was cancelled so I've been kinda studying/being in sweats all day. Also checking my email constantly. But its only been a week so I'm going to be waiting for awhile. Did anyone else have a Jan 15th deadline?

Yes, I had one January 15th deadline! Also had one on January 1st and one on January 3rd. The rest were in December. I've been expecting to hear something all week. Alas, nothing yet. 

33 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Congrats Neist! I always had a blast with TA-ing....the best part? Reading your reviews at the end--they can be hysterical. :)

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Congrats!! I'm also a TA, and I love it. I'm sure you will too :D

And yes... money and resume building! Wahoo!

Thanks @nevermind and @Pink Fuzzy Bunny :D 

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Mine were Jan 1, 10, 14, 15. 

Yup. I'm going to be waiting a while. 

Just now, Neist said:

Thanks @nevermind and @Pink Fuzzy Bunny :D 

Mine were Jan 1, 10, 14, 15. 

Yup. I'm going to be waiting a while. 

Well at least there's two of us! At least I have my last semester and building a new museum to distract me! Plus I'm growing out by hair so that's another thing I can be obsessive about. I feel like I'm a combination of Larry David and Paris Geller.

4 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Well at least there's two of us! At least I have my last semester and building a new museum to distract me! Plus I'm growing out by hair so that's another thing I can be obsessive about. I feel like I'm a combination of Larry David and Paris Geller.

It's always nice to have company! 

If I judge by historic reporting most certainly won't hear back for another two weeks, and more likely four weeks. Some years stretch into March. Sort of glad I got this TA'ship. At least it'll keep me occupied. I was only taking one course this semester because that's all I needed to graduate. I was going to work on getting a paper published, but I guess I can do it all. I've managed worse.

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

It's always nice to have company! 

If I judge by historic reporting most certainly won't hear back for another two weeks, and more likely four weeks. Some years stretch into March. Sort of glad I got this TA'ship. At least it'll keep me occupied. I was only taking one course this semester because that's all I needed to graduate. I was going to work on getting a paper published, but I guess I can do it all. I've managed worse.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I wish I didn't have to suffer through physics but at least this will be the last time! My GIS class won't be hard just time consuming and my other two classes are going to be alright. Must fight senioritis!

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I concur! I spent the summer there for an REU program... I fell in love with it. Seriously I couldn't be happier right now... and my professor was even okay with me squealing and running out of the room as soon as I saw the subject line of the email :D

Any suggestions for finding housing? I'm not a roommate person so it seems I'll be living on some corner of Pearl St shaking cans for spare quarters...

Ahh, housing in Boulder. Depends what kind of environment you want. First, I would say get to know current grads, because you will find the best deals that way. A lot of places that are cheaper and nicer never hit Craigslist because they're already spoken for through networking.

Second, call up Housing Helpers. Even if they don't find a place you like, it is a great way to see some listings within your price range/area you want to live.

As far as the type of living situation you want to be in, absolutely avoid The Hill (west of campus, it hugs Broadway from almost Arapahoe to Baseline, pretty much). It is a major undergrad and party area, and is atrociously expensive. A lot of the houses are also very dumpy for what you pay. This is also where the frats and sorority houses are located.

I like quiet when I'm at home, absolutely no noise from parties, so I would suggest living close to the BioMed Sciences building off of Colorado between Foothills Pkwy and 30th Ave. It tends to be pretty quiet in those apt complexes and the neighborhoods. I lived in Wellman Creek my senior year, which is one of the only low-income housing subdivisions in Boulder. A lot of people buy the townhomes there and then rent them out, so if you know someone moving out you can get a pretty cheap and nice townhome with a garage and such.

Living closeish to Pearl is an option, but the real estate there is expensive. You can sometimes find a deal through a friend, but because of the location's desirability you will pay more. A lot of the neighborhoods north of campus along Arapahoe have a lot of students, and can be loud occasionally due to people walking to the bars on Pearl/house parties (nowhere near as loud as The Hill, though).

I've known a few grad students who have lived in grad housing and they didn't say it was bad. The kitchen is quite small, but it's a quiet community and helps you get to know other grad students. No idea how expensive it is, though.

I know you said roommates aren't your thing (totally understand) but another option could be to look for a family/couple who rents out a portion of their house. I've heard positive stories from people who made sure to make it a good personality match. Usually you'll get your own bathroom and Boulder families are very invested in their homes, so this can be a good setup if you want people to do their dishes, clean their spaces, etc.

Moving further north is a possibility. The further north of Pearl you go, the further you are from campus (and undergrads). If you stay close to Broadway, there are some good quiet neighborhoods and you're near a bus line that goes straight to campus. I recommend living near Broadway and Alpine, as there's a little shopping center with a grocery, restaurants, coffee shop, and urgent care. You could also go even further north than that.

An extreme possibility, depending on how much money you want to save on rent, is to live in Gunbarrel/Longmont/Broomfield/Westminster. These places are cheaper and there's a bus that travels along the highways to get you to Boulder (but alas, a lot more traveling time required).

TL;DR: try to get to know some current grads that could pass on some sweet housing deals to you. Check out Housing Helpers, and CU grad housing. Then check Craigslist :)

Hope that gives you some ideas to start your search!! Be sure to start early- a lot of places are taken by March. Good luck!!!!

Edited by Lexie16

51 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I wish I didn't have to suffer through physics but at least this will be the last time! My GIS class won't be hard just time consuming and my other two classes are going to be alright. Must fight senioritis!

I'm suffering through intermediate Spanish. Ergh. :P

Like you said, this is the last time! I'm also hoping I get into a program that doesn't have foreign language requirements. My studies really don't require it.

Just now, Neist said:

Like you said, this is the last time! I'm also hoping I get into a program that doesn't have foreign language requirements. My studies really don't require it.

I'm so happy my programs don't require it either! It took me 7 years of speech therapy to be able to speak english correctly. I don't have much hope for other languages ha. I'm concerned about defending my thesis and mispronouncing words.....

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Oh man! That's part of what I am most excited about doing for a Ph.D.! One of my programs only requires 1 language (which I've already met the requirements for), so I want to take advanced classes + learn more about my second language (which I've only done 1.5 years of). 

4 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@nevermind Let us know how your interview goes!

At first, nothing was going right...Skype kept shutting down my browser...but eventually, everything kind of fell into place. It sounds really promising. It went an hour and a half and my POI wants me to work on a particular project. He was very generous in how he described my work and so it seemed really positive. We'll be picking up the conversation later to talk more about research (because an hour and a half was just scratching the surface!). It's an exciting opportunity, but I haven't been offered it yet, so fingers crossed!

Edited by nevermind

Just now, anthrostudentcyn said:

@nevermind It for sure sounds like an acceptance is in the cards!!

We'll see. I feel like I've been in academia long enough to know that even if your POI really really wants you, sometimes things don't always turn out that way. However, I do hope it is the first sign of many positive things to come. :) 

@nevermind Oh, yes, I understand. I am running into an unofficial acceptance/but they're trying to find funding type situation myself, so I understand. I do, however, think its always nice and flattering to have professors interested in your work; and a great sign of things to come. Even to get to the point of getting an interview shows that your work is truly compelling and exciting!

3 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@nevermind Oh, yes, I understand. I am running into an unofficial acceptance/but they're trying to find funding type situation myself, so I understand. I do, however, think its always nice and flattering to have professors interested in your work; and a great sign of things to come. Even to get to the point of getting an interview shows that your work is truly compelling and exciting!

Thanks! He's a big name in a *very* niche field. So I'm flattered he liked my work. Even if I don't get in, it still is very encouraging. :)

1 hour ago, nevermind said:

At first, nothing was going right...Skype kept shutting down my browser...but eventually, everything kind of fell into place. It sounds really promising. It went an hour and a half and my POI wants me to work on a particular project. He was very generous in how he described my work and so it seemed really positive. We'll be picking up the conversation later to talk more about research (because an hour and a half was just scratching the surface!). It's an exciting opportunity, but I haven't been offered it yet, so fingers crossed!

Wow... an hour and a half? Sounds like he loves you!!