Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

People, stop contacting departments. Setting yourself up for the following scenario: 

Committee sitting around reviewing applications and your application comes up. "Oh yeah, that's the prospective student who nervously and impatiently emailed us. How unprofessional. NEXT."

1 hour ago, mm3733 said:

Let's just go with that's a good sign for us, okay? They're just slowly going down the list... :)

PS. Didn't mean to sound like a douche in the last post, was just *hoping* I was right and it wasn't me searching the wrong term lol!

WOW exile "douche" from your vocabulary before you start in your program. Super offensive

7 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

WOW exile "douche" from your vocabulary before you start in your program. Super offensive

It seems this kind of words get this cyber space in trouble once again.

Edited by goofylemon

4 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

The comment was aimed at me and I wasn't offended. No need to make a deal of it. 

Edited by Shay825

2 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

If that's supposed to be an insult, you missed your mark. 

it is not supposed to be an insult. Just because you are not personally offended does not mean that it's not offensive to other women, who you do not speak on behalf of. "No need to make a deal of it" is where you stand. That the term was directed at you, is not really relevant. The word was used. It's offensive. You don't get to hush a conversation just because you personally are not offended. Your contribution says something about you personally, and not the conversation in general.

1 hour ago, aresh1 said:

Unfortunately I'm going to be at a conference that weekend and don't really know what to do about it. The DGS promised to get back to me to see if we could figure something out. Vanderbilt is my top choice, so hopefully things work out. 

Hey there, congrats!  Did the program offer to pay your travel expenses?  I ask because one of the programs I applied to is having an Open House on March 1-3 for admitted students.  I'm working abroad, so I didn't ask about this and they didn't fill me in on whether they reimburse because I said I couldn't attend.  But I was thinking the other day of trying to go, and wondering if I should ask the program whether they'd consider covering what they would cover for a national student (maybe $300?) and I could cover the rest of the plane ticket ... I don't think I'm going to make it as it's coming up really quickly, but I'm wondering about trying this if I happen to get into another one of the programs I applied to.  That way I could fly up and visit for an Open House, and visit the other program, too.  Does that sound like a reasonable thing to ask?  

Edited by ts1493

3 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

it is not supposed to be an insult. Just because you are not personally offended does not mean that it's not offensive to other women, who you do not speak on behalf of. "No need to make a deal of it" is where you stand. That the term was directed at you, is not really relevant. The word was used. It's offensive. You don't get to hush a conversation just because you personally are not offended. Your contribution says something about you personally, and not the conversation in general.

If you had an issue with it, the kindest response would have been to address it to the individual via PM and given them the option to edit the post, rather than publically shaming them. THAT says something about YOU.

5 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

INTERESTING since douche is actually a term typically directed towards men by women... 

1 minute ago, MAnthroAA said:

You don't get to speak on behalf of all other women, either. As a staunch feminist, I personally find the fact that douches exist far more offensive than the use of the word as a derogatory term. 

Keep your head up, Shay. ;-)

I don't speak on behalf of all women, but I will always speak up in these types of situations. Dude uses slur, I'm saying something.