Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

4 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Waitlisted at UNC and Hopkins?

Nope, I hadn't heard anything at all.  But I actually JUST received a rejection email from Johns Hopkins.  I guess it wasn't meant to be!  Still haven't heard from UNC.

Hello! I've been reading along in the forum as grad school responses come in. I've heard back from 8 of 9 schools and kept my cool, but JHU is really testing my patience. I know I probably didn't get in, but I just want to get it over with! I checked the website and I still do not see a rejection letter. I saw two rejections posted today and I have to ask... is there anyone else that has not heard anything from them yet?

Edited by splain

On 3/10/2016 at 3:51 PM, rar23de said:

Hi, I was accepted at Johns Hopkins and rejected their offer at the end of February. I hope this helps some of you on the waiting list. They told me that they were expecting a cohort of 4-5 people this year.

PM'd you. 

41 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

Anyone still waiting on Cornell? Last school I have yet to hear from. Would like to get my official rejection to have it over with!

I'm still waiting to hear from their Development Sociology program. I emailed them on Monday, and they never responded. Are you waiting to hear from regular Sociology or Development Sociology?

1 hour ago, c11m07 said:

Anyone still waiting on Cornell? Last school I have yet to hear from. Would like to get my official rejection to have it over with!

I e-mail the graduate dept. last week and they notified me that I was on a waitlist. If you are dying to know your status, maybe you could contact them and they would let you know. Good luck!

19 hours ago, turtle<3 said:

I'm still waiting to hear from their Development Sociology program. I emailed them on Monday, and they never responded. Are you waiting to hear from regular Sociology or Development Sociology?

I applied for the regular soc program. 

19 hours ago, puton said:

I e-mail the graduate dept. last week and they notified me that I was on a waitlist. If you are dying to know your status, maybe you could contact them and they would let you know. Good luck!

Thanks. Just sent an email. Ready for some closure at this point!

Best of luck to both of you!

I responded to this thread a while ago. I applied to two programs; a Social Policy and a Gerontology program.  I have not heard anything from one school (Brandeis) for the Social Policy program and have been accepted to the Gerontology program, University of Maryland.

Super excited!!! I accepted their offer which includes a full tuition waiver, insurance (University paid) and a nice stipend. Super happy and can't wait to get there already and get started lol. 

Good luck everyone!!!

Edited by MyLife2016

8 hours ago, MyLife2016 said:

I responded to this thread a while ago. I applied to two programs; a Social Policy and a Gerontology program.  I have not heard anything from one school (Brandeis) for the Social Policy program and have been accepted to the Gerontology program, University of Maryland.

Super excited!!! I accepted their offer which includes a full tuition waiver, insurance (University paid) and a nice stipend. Super happy and can't wait to get there already and get started lol. 

Good luck everyone!!!

Congratulations! I know what you mean about wanting to be there already :)

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Congrats to everyone who has been admitted so far! 

I am currently waitlisted at Ohio State, so I was wondering if anyone has accepted/rejected their offer to OSU. Thank you!

Hi (Name),

I have solidified my plans for Fall 2016 and will not be accepting this offer. Thank you for being communicative throughout this process. It is an honor to have been considered for a position at (Name of School). I wish you the best of luck in securing a solid cohort for the upcoming year.

Sincerely,

Name

4 hours ago, any5 said:

When declining an offer what exactly do you say in your email (and to whom? the DGS?) 

Hello friends and congratulations on everyone accepted and good luck for everyone still waiting! I know how painful this whole process is and I wanted to write here, because one of my friends had a situation with a Sociology department and I think people here might have a good idea about what to do. Even though I posted the same thing on questions part of the forum, I believe writing here will be more helpful. So here is the situation ;

Hello my fellow grad school enthusiasts,

I am writing here to ask your opinion about a situation that my friends is currently experiencing and she honestly doesn't know what to do.

Shortly, she applied to a Phd program in Sociology, in University of Binghamton. Firstly, they asked her to check to website and it was written that she was rejected. But the very same day, she recieved an email from the secretary that there was an "administrative glitch" and she was accepted with partial funding. As any candidate would do, she said it is not possible to afford the tuition and everything as an international student and asked them to inform her if anything changes about funding. About 10 days ago, she recieved this emal from the department with admission offer letter, full TAship, tuition waiver and all official documents with signatures of the director of graduate studies. Just yesterday, she signed the documents and sent them back and today, she recieved another email from the director if graduate studies telling her it is another "administrative glitch" that she still has partial funding. In the meantime, my friend planned everything according to this acceptance, buying plane tickets, looking for an apartment in the city etc. I am just wondering if anyone else experienced sth like this and if there's anything that can be done legally? Thanks a lot for your answers and I really appreciate your comments and suggestions on the issue.

On 3/24/2016 at 8:32 PM, hakandoga said:

Hello friends and congratulations on everyone accepted and good luck for everyone still waiting! I know how painful this whole process is and I wanted to write here, because one of my friends had a situation with a Sociology department and I think people here might have a good idea about what to do. Even though I posted the same thing on questions part of the forum, I believe writing here will be more helpful. So here is the situation ;

Hello my fellow grad school enthusiasts,

I am writing here to ask your opinion about a situation that my friends is currently experiencing and she honestly doesn't know what to do.

Shortly, she applied to a Phd program in Sociology, in University of Binghamton. Firstly, they asked her to check to website and it was written that she was rejected. But the very same day, she recieved an email from the secretary that there was an "administrative glitch" and she was accepted with partial funding. As any candidate would do, she said it is not possible to afford the tuition and everything as an international student and asked them to inform her if anything changes about funding. About 10 days ago, she recieved this emal from the department with admission offer letter, full TAship, tuition waiver and all official documents with signatures of the director of graduate studies. Just yesterday, she signed the documents and sent them back and today, she recieved another email from the director if graduate studies telling her it is another "administrative glitch" that she still has partial funding. In the meantime, my friend planned everything according to this acceptance, buying plane tickets, looking for an apartment in the city etc. I am just wondering if anyone else experienced sth like this and if there's anything that can be done legally? Thanks a lot for your answers and I really appreciate your comments and suggestions on the issue.

Wow. Sounds like a very disorganized department. I wonder if by sending a letter of full funding, etc, and signing it, etc, if there is a contractual obligation on the school's part to honor the agreement? 

At any event, I would say that the glitches and ambivalent messages suggest that the department is not a place your friend wants to do their grad work.

On 3/18/2016 at 10:48 AM, MyLife2016 said:

Good luck everyone!!!

Hey there -- I also applied to the Heller social policy program (along with two sociology programs and a gerontology program!) and *just* heard back that I'm a top candidate on their wait list and asking if I wanted to be considered for admission in April. 

5 hours ago, EdSocPhD said:

Has anyone heard any updated news on the Johns Hopkins waitlist? Or is anyone (preferably in the PSI concentration) planning to accept/reject their offer soon? The lack of closure is eating me alive. 

I'm right there with you, although I'm PGSC track. Judging by the relative calm that has overtaken this thread, I can only assume most decisions have been made by others at other programs. I know I'm a *tad* biased, but name one other similar scenario where it's deemed acceptable to allow 5 weeks to go by without giving a firm answer to an offer... Imagine five weeks going by after a job offer -- not likely!  I know there are many exceptions and scenarios that prevent folks from making timely decisions, but I'm losing my patience. 

Full disclosure: I was told by folks at JH that they hadn't heard from any of the decisions as of a week or so ago, and that they would be leaning on these folks for decisions in order to have a better sense of things by the beginning of April. I would expect things to shake out next week. April 9th is historically the latest anyone has reported being accepted off the waitlist, so we'll see... Like you, I'm sure, I have other offers on the table, although JH is my first choice. The laxness with which the first round is dealing with this decision is having a cascading effect down the "food chain", as it were... As they say: shit rolls down hill.

Good luck to all, and be sure to keep us updated.

Edited by proctorvt

So, Vandy never got back to me, but I wanted to let you all know that I've officially committed to the University of Delaware!

This *might* free up a spot or funding at NC State, UC Davis, CU Boulder, and Rutgers (although probably not Rutgers; my offer was un-funded).