2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

2 hours ago, lisamadura said:

Got an email from Loyola this morning. Waitlisted. 

I NEED ADVICE. I'm not terribly concerned about anonymity. I doubt that admissions committees spend their time perusing TGC sizing up the applicants. And if they do, nothing I have posted would give them any reason to doubt my abilities as a philosopher. However, I had a moment of paranoia this morning. There are still a lot of school that have not yet made final decisions, do you think that if someone on the admissions committee happens to wander into this thread and see that I have multiple acceptances they will reconsider offering me a spot because they think it is likely I'll turn them down and go with a different school? Or does that seem super far-fetched? 

I'd think the opposite. It would confirm their decision that you are a good person to admit, since it would show other committees reached the same decision about your file as they did. So if anything it would just make them more confident. But that's just my two cents. 

On 2/9/2016 at 1:19 PM, philstudent1991 said:

I'd guess more Virginia admits, WashU and maybe UNC. Maybe one or two other schools. UCSD? Wisconsin? Oregon? 

WashU would be nice... I mean, assuming they'd admit me, of course ^_^

2 minutes ago, philstudent1991 said:

I want to, but I can't, because it wasn't mine. 

When I saw you quoted me I got really excited for you for a second. There is still time though, and I will continue to repeat that in my head until the end of today. 

Just now, abisch said:

When I saw you quoted me I got really excited for you for a second. There is still time though, and I will continue to repeat that in my head until the end of today. 

Good luck! My last name starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet, so I assume that's why I haven't heard yet ;) 

1 minute ago, philstudent1991 said:

Good luck! My last name starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet, so I assume that's why I haven't heard yet ;) 

Well then they must have started with the middle of the alphabet because my last name starts with a letter near the beginning of the alphabet. :rolleyes:

Just now, abisch said:

Well then they must have started with the middle of the alphabet because my last name starts with a letter near the beginning of the alphabet. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's some pattern that explains why we haven't received calls yet. Something about the position of the moon and the sun I think. 

Just now, philstudent1991 said:

I'm sure there's some pattern that explains why we haven't received calls yet. Something about the position of the moon and the sun I think. 

And the stars, don't forget the stars. Two acceptances up now...

6 minutes ago, psm1580b said:

*phone in lap*
*email open*

so whats up people?

I think this class has a no cell phone policy but like also I need to check my email. On the other hand, the prof is *the chair of the admissions committee to a program I applied, so I know those results won't be going out now at least. 

Edited by FoxAndChicken
Precisification

26 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I think this class has a no cell phone policy but like also I need to check my email. On the other hand, the prof is *the chair of the admissions committee to a program I applied, so I know those results won't be going out now at least. 

How does that work? Or like, if a rec letter writer is on the admissions committee? What happens? Is it awkward? 

17 minutes ago, kantbook said:

Claiming one of the UCSD acceptances...phone call from Eric Watkins :wub: hope y'all hear back soon! 

Do you have any idea if he's already called all the people they're going to give initial offers to?

Waiting on WashU, from their past history it looks like people should start hearing back soon. I am also waiting on SLU and Loyola Chicago, but SLU doesn't wrap up until the 15th

56 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

How does that work? Or like, if a rec letter writer is on the admissions committee? What happens? Is it awkward? 

I have no idea actually. I was in a class she taught last semester and I talked about how stressful the process was to her so much, and then I learned this was her thing. O.o she didn't write a letter or anything. It's a bit better because I'm not a philosophy major, but also one of my profs said it's not impossible for me to get in here, but standards will be higher for me than if I were coming from another school.