2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

50 minutes ago, swilke said:

Those who checked the app status for Loyola: How did you do that, mine just says "Submitted", am I looking in the right place?

My status update is at the top of the page a line after my application reference number, right before the Verify Address line. 

19 minutes ago, blacklake said:

My status update is at the top of the page a line after my application reference number, right before the Verify Address line. 

There's nothing there at the moment for my application... so good news? I guess... the anticipation is murdering me

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, philosophe said:

do you think chanting "Brown, Brown, Brown, Brown, Brown, Brown" under my breath for the next 4 hours will do any good? 

Anybody want to give this a try for Stanford and Yale? We can make it a duet :D

4 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Anybody want to give this a try for Stanford and Yale? We can make it a duet :D

I have been chanting "Yale" for over a week! 

....then some lucky person with 2 geology publications and, what was it, 7 letters of rec showed up? 

I've stopped chanting since that scare. 

But maybe the duet?

Stanford, Stanford, Stanford, YALE, Stanford, Stanford, Stanford, YALE. Yale, Yale, Yale, STANFORD, Yale, STANFORD, Yale. 

I thought maybe if we shout the name every once in a while it would help. Also, I didn't apply to Stanford. That's just for you @Siegfried42

13 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Can anyone applying to McGill get into their application online? I tried logging in and it told me "ACCESS DENIED"

Is it a sign that we're all about to find out?!

try it from a different browser? maybe chrome instead of safari, etc?

15 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Can anyone applying to McGill get into their application online? I tried logging in and it told me "ACCESS DENIED"

Is it a sign that we're all about to find out?!

oh yeah what's up with McGill??

1 minute ago, MentalEngineer said:

I was just checking in hopes it was yours. :(

I'm really hoping that it has something to do with the HPS program; who knows, though, perhaps acceptances went out. Last year (I think) there were only two or so reported early on.

Haven't seen Jonny yet, but I'll ask him if he heard back.

59 minutes ago, brekekexkoax said:

oh yeah what's up with McGill??

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

try it from a different browser? maybe chrome instead of safari, etc?

Not sure why it wouldn't let me log in at home (I was using Chrome on Mac), at work (IE [I KNOW, RIGHT?!] on Windows) and it works fine, no news as yet :(

I posted the History and Philosophy of Science acceptance at Notre Dame this afternoon. I was offered admission into the philosophy track along with two fellowships. I have such ambivalence with respect to sharing this information, for on the one hand, I am genuinely honored and excited to be granted this opportunity, but on the other, I recognize that my being granted an opportunity necessarily precludes others from said opportunity (and I know that may seem common-sensical or, at worst, banal, but I just have a lot of feelings.)

Please know that I, too, have felt the existential dread that has been this admissions season and I have full confidence that each and every one of us will find our place to philosophize in the world. I found this the other day and it has been solacing my otherwise inconsolable mind: "Stuttering is an ideology. Have you noticed? Order and obedience are smooth. But the sun stutters. The heart stutters. Resistance movements stutter. Stutter and shout." - Shūji Terayama

No matter what happens this admissions season, we haven't failed. We're just stuttering. We will all be okay! (I'll stop now and take my, probably unwanted, appeals to romanticism with me.)

17 minutes ago, DontGetMeSartred said:

I posted the History and Philosophy of Science acceptance at Notre Dame this afternoon. I was offered admission into the philosophy track along with two fellowships. I have such ambivalence with respect to sharing this information, for on the one hand, I am genuinely honored and excited to be granted this opportunity, but on the other, I recognize that my being granted an opportunity necessarily precludes others from said opportunity (and I know that may seem common-sensical or, at worst, banal, but I just have a lot of feelings.)

Please know that I, too, have felt the existential dread that has been this admissions season and I have full confidence that each and every one of us will find our place to philosophize in the world. I found this the other day and it has been solacing my otherwise inconsolable mind: "Stuttering is an ideology. Have you noticed? Order and obedience are smooth. But the sun stutters. The heart stutters. Resistance movements stutter. Stutter and shout." - Shūji Terayama

No matter what happens this admissions season, we haven't failed. We're just stuttering. We will all be okay! (I'll stop now and take my, probably unwanted, appeals to romanticism with me.)

You, sir/madame, are a good person.

Edited by Cecinestpasunphilosophe

24 minutes ago, DontGetMeSartred said:

Congratulations! Hopefully they'll send out the traditional program's acceptances/waitlists/rejections soon.

I have it on good word (I'm buds with one of the dudes on the admissions committee at ND) that they're running a little behind this year because of some computer/tech problems. Classic philosophers not being able to tech. In any case, that's probably why they haven't called anyone yet for the general PhD program. Best of luck to you all!!!!