2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

2 hours ago, pecado said:

I hate that the international student that was admitted to Yale did not report his GRE score, after mentioning how crucial it was for his admission to Yale university.

Nonetheless, this demonstrates, I think, that the GRE is important for Yale. I only hope that it is not for the others.

I would refrain from this interpretation. The poster was likely from a country (not gonna name names) where cheating on the GRE is common, and hence it was likely standard policy to request, in a live exchange, that the applicant confirm the validity of their scores. Given the 165/157/4.50 admit to Yale posted just two places down, I'd venture to say that GREs are, as usual, not of paramount importance here.

2 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

You think they're still sending calls out? Duquesne was the only one who hadn't contacted someone on my list, and one of my top choices.

They called me at around 1 eastern, so I'm not sure. But I am hoping they call you, too. It doesn't seem that they've started WLing yet, anyway, assuming that that's something they do. Fingers crossed! 

Has anybody heard anything from St. Louis University? Their decision is what my decision hinges upon, I was hoping that they'd be getting back to me rather quickly.

12 minutes ago, swilke said:

Has anybody heard anything from St. Louis University? Their decision is what my decision hinges upon, I was hoping that they'd be getting back to me rather quickly.

Our resident expert @jacbarcan's prediction for St. Louis is tomorrow, so hopefully you'll hear very soon! Congrats on your Knoxville admit!

Just now, Siegfried42 said:

Our resident expert @jacbarcan's prediction for St. Louis is tomorrow, so hopefully you'll hear very soon! Congrats on your Knoxville admit!

Brilliant, this is both terrifying and exciting. And thank you, it certainly relieves a lot of stress knowing that I have somewhere I can go in the Fall for sure.

Does anyone have an efficient way of comparing the placement rates at different programs? They publish recent placement on their websites but that doesn't give much info (e.g. when did the student actually graduate? Have they been floating around in adjunct limbo for years? And if these placement stats are, in fact, referring to people who graduated the same year they were placed, how many others graduated and didn't get placed?). 

I also checked philjobs.org to see recent appointments. Not very helpful. Unless you do your Ph.D. at Toronto. Then you're set. 

7 hours ago, pecado said:

If I may ask you, how do you know so many others here?

I have a few friends at PhD programs, a few friends applying (who are fucking amazing and also doing fucking amazingly at this whole admissions process), I am one of the people in some cases that I refer to as knowing or refer to as reliable, and finally I get a lot of tips by email and gradcafe messages. 

1 hour ago, lisamadura said:

Does anyone have an efficient way of comparing the placement rates at different programs? They publish recent placement on their websites but that doesn't give much info (e.g. when did the student actually graduate? Have they been floating around in adjunct limbo for years? And if these placement stats are, in fact, referring to people who graduated the same year they were placed, how many others graduated and didn't get placed?). 

I also checked philjobs.org to see recent appointments. Not very helpful. Unless you do your Ph.D. at Toronto. Then you're set. 

It's such a grab bag that I think you just have to ask. Some schools are very clear about showing when people graduated; others not. Some are very clear about showing every position people have had; others not. Some show people who completed and didn't get placed; others not. And then all of these possibilities, plus some others, all recombine into a factorial mess of individual placement pages. I think for the most part schools know all the answers to all these questions, so if you press for explicit information and they want you there they ought to eventually provide it. Probably less relevant for you since it (mostly) focuses on the Leiter 50, but Carolyn Dicey Jennings also has some pretty good stats on TT placement percentages over the last few years.

Depressing as it sounds, my impression from her and crunching numbers on some other places that expose full data is that a 30-45% TT and a mid-60% academic-of-some-sort placement rate is the best you can expect from all but a few really exceptional schools. Although I've also heard anecdata to the effect that continental departments place considerably better.

Edited by MentalEngineer

That's definitely the kind of thing to ask departments about. They'll usually be forthcoming with that information. I'll add another question to consider: are the students that get placed under a particular advisor (or advisors) or is everyone generally successful?

7 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

That's definitely the kind of thing to ask departments about. They'll usually be forthcoming with that information. I'll add another question to consider: are the students that get placed under a particular advisor (or advisors) or is everyone generally successful?

Yeah, this is something I'm getting rather curious about with Florida State. In the last ten years, fewer than half (in fact, only eight, including two who are no longer there and each only had one student - so effectively only six) of the faculty have supervised even a single graduate. I'm not sure if what's going on is just a confluence of interests around those professors, if only tenured faculty advise students (maybe this is a general norm of which I'm ignorant), if some of the faculty aren't taking students, if (as I suspect from skimming the titles) people are writing dissertations that are really tied to another professor and then sticking the name of someone more well-known on the front, or if it's a combination of all these. I doubt, for instance, it's a coincidence that Al Mele has by far the most students over both the last five and the last ten years. This is a good example of why one ought to ask about these things.

As MentalEngineer said, Carolyn Dicey Jennings has been doing a lot of work looking at placement data. This is probably closest to what you're looking for (ie. placement rates by departments) but is limited in a number of ways. She also has a report on a more aggregate view of placement here, started a website for placement data here, and blogs about various aspects of placement, mostly at NewApps

9 hours ago, kant_get_in said:

Accepted to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, but wait-listed for funding (so….wait-listed?). 

Same, I'm hoping that we will both be able to get funding.

Well, if you Cornell folks are out there: congratulations! I've been on the hill for four years, so while I'm not the biggest insider for the philosophy department, I've acquired my fair share of wisdom. Feel free to message with questions.

24 minutes ago, doxazein918 said:

Hi!  I'm one of them! (was trying to avoid looking at this website obsessively but just gave up haha).  So excited!! :)

That's awesome, congrats!! Was it a personalized message or a generic one?