2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

Omg I LOVE this thread and I love all of you! I am from the art history cohort but I am transferring here if you will have me. All of my schools have posted some sort of admit/waitlist/interview/phone call and I have received nothing aside from two rejections. Cool! On Friday I was in a state of mourning and then Saturday and Sunday I let it go. I feel that if anything favorable happens at this point, it's just a bonus. I could also be swimming in the river of 'de Nile. Who cares. Thanks for this thread. 

1 hour ago, feelthebern16 said:

Omg I LOVE this thread and I love all of you! I am from the art history cohort but I am transferring here if you will have me. All of my schools have posted some sort of admit/waitlist/interview/phone call and I have received nothing aside from two rejections. Cool! On Friday I was in a state of mourning and then Saturday and Sunday I let it go. I feel that if anything favorable happens at this point, it's just a bonus. I could also be swimming in the river of 'de Nile. Who cares. Thanks for this thread. 

Welcome! 

1 hour ago, jjb919 said:

Rejected from UC Boulder. I'm not particularly confident of my chances with Chicago. Oh well.

Was the message personalized or do you think it was an automated email?  I haven't heard anything from Boulder yet and my application portal says my application is still under review.  Probably rejected, it would just be nice if they told me in a timely manner.

Just now, ABrown said:

Was the message personalized or do you think it was an automated email?  I haven't heard anything from Boulder yet and my application portal says my application is still under review.  Probably rejected, it would just be nice if they told me in a timely manner.

It was automated. As one poster on the results page noted, it was a generic word document attached to an email. The email itself said nothing other than "please see attached" and the Word document had no personalized information in it, there wasn't even a salutation. Just a generic statement saying my application was not accepted, signed by the Chair of Graduate Admissions.

3 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Do you guys think Notre Dame is finished yet? I only see 5 posts today (they said they'd admit 15-20) but the other one's might just not be on here?

So, I only have one data-point here, but - Chicago told me 14 people were admitted this year (and they don't do a waitlist). There are 6 acceptances posted here, meaning that - based on this single example - we might guesstimate a 2:5 ratio of posted-vs-offered. So, if 5 people have posted, and even if a couple people will post tomorrow or later this evening... there's still hope :) 

(Good thing I'm a philosophy rather than a stats major, I know)

3 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Do you guys think Notre Dame is finished yet? I only see 5 posts today (they said they'd admit 15-20) but the other one's might just not be on here?

Hard to say... in 2014 looks like about 10 posted during the first round of acceptances (and some posted the second day if that means anything), in 2015 I only see 2. I don't think it's unreasonable to hold out hope for another day though. 

(Premise:I know this is not as torturous as having not heard back at all, but) I'm only in at one school and I'm now starting to feel like I somehow conned them into letting me in. I hope I don't see any buyer's remorse in their eyes when I visit campus. 

Edited by Disgruntledlurker

5 hours ago, Siegfried42 said:

Do not be so pessimist, I can see in your sign that you have many universities in red with a note that says "presumed". Do not presume, everything can happen, so please do not assume things.

1 minute ago, pecado said:

Do not be so pessimist, I can see in your sign that you have many universities in red with a note that says "presumed". Do not presume, everything can happen, so please do not assume things.

At least from my perspective, it's both an emotional safety measure and an offering of information to others. In the former capacity, it keeps me from wondering whether I'm really going to get in someplace when I can focus my attention elsewhere. I'd much rather think "well, it's probably bad news with Yale" than "oh god oh god Yale please oh please", at least in the long term. In the latter capacity, if someone sees such a signature they can derive the information that somebody has heard from Yale. So it's also a utility I try to offer others.

35 minutes ago, Disgruntledlurker said:

(Premise:I know this is not as torturous as having not heard back at all, but) I'm only in at one school and I'm now starting to feel like I somehow conned them into letting me in. I hope I don't see any buyer's remorse in their eyes when I visit campus. 

I know how you feel! Admissions is so ridiculously competitive and dependent on so many factors (how many spots do they have for an ethics person? How many for an international? How much funding do they have this year? Did they accept too many students last year? Who's on the admissions committee this year? Which faculty members are on sabbatical/not looking to take students this year?) that even those who get accepted to more than one school have reason to ascribe some of their success to these contingent matters and feel a bit like a fraud. So, for those who haven't got good news yet, this is also a reason to not feel like you should doubt your abilities and talent.

1 hour ago, matchamatcha said:

Still haven't heard back from anyone except UCSD, which was a reject.  I've gone down the rabbit hole and now think that I've been rejected from everywhere since Toronto has sent out acceptances and Davis seems to have sent out a few.

This process is quite unpleasant for my mental health.

I feel you on that. I am an anxious mess!! Presumed rejection is the worst limbo. Waiting to hear from the trifecta-- YHS. Let's try to keep our chins up!