2016 Waitlist Thread

philosophe

I need opinions. I applied to all the UC's and so far have been accepted to Santa Cruz and Irvine. I know that the rest have already sent out acceptances, waitlists and rejections but I haven't been contacted for either! Is anyone in the same boat as me? What could it mean, have they just not gotten around to rejecting me? Am I on some sort of secret waitlist?

4 hours ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Ahh very high on the Stanford wait-list, and this has always been my definite #1 choice!!! So happy :):)  Also, please please if you know you won't go there but have been admitted decline as soon as you can! (I know it's not easy.) :) 

Also waitlisted! Such excitement!

If any of those already admitted to Stanford are willing, it would be greatly appreciated if you could pm me the funding info you were given. Trying to figure out what I can expect if I get let in.

Edited by anacreon

Does anyone have an idea of how big a wait-list generally is? Specifically I am curious about Columbia's list, which was described by one professor as being a "small wait-list." Its nice to know that the list is not large, but I don't even really have any idea about the size of a typical WL. Could small mean around, say, 5-7 students; or, would it probably be more like somewhere between 10 and 20? 

8 minutes ago, SamStone said:

Does anyone have an idea of how big a wait-list generally is? Specifically I am curious about Columbia's list, which was described by one professor as being a "small wait-list." Its nice to know that the list is not large, but I don't even really have any idea about the size of a typical WL. Could small mean around, say, 5-7 students; or, would it probably be more like somewhere between 10 and 20? 

I'm sure it depends on the school, and what their yield rate on their acceptances normally are. I have been tempted to ask how many are on the wait list, but I don't want to sound too greedy for information... 

44 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I'm sure it depends on the school, and what their yield rate on their acceptances normally are. I have been tempted to ask how many are on the wait list, but I don't want to sound too greedy for information... 

I don't think one ought worry about sounding too greedy for information. It's useful information to have wrt an important life decision. Plus, we paid good money to apply! A little info seems like a very reasonable expectation :D

Just now, dgswaim said:

I don't think one ought worry about sounding too greedy for information. It's useful information to have wrt an important life decision. Plus, we paid good money to apply! A little info seems like a very reasonable expectation :D

You're probably right, but a lot of times they seem to purposefully be using evasive language (like, you're near the top or near the bottom, etc.). So I feel a little weird being like, "let's be real, what number am I? and out of how many?" :) hahah

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

You're probably right, but a lot of times they seem to purposefully be using evasive language (like, you're near the top or near the bottom, etc.). So I feel a little weird being like, "let's be real, what number am I? and out of how many?" :) hahah

I mean, I suppose if the waitlist is 2 or 3 people long you are simultaneously "near the top," "near the bottom," and "around the middle" no matter which position you are. :D

7 hours ago, SamStone said:

I spoke to someone else on the Columbia wait list about creating a thread for us to compile our info (AOIs, whether we're declining, how many of us there are, etc). At least two of us think it's a helpful idea. 

Im busy the next two days, but I'll do it afterward. 

I am stuck with my bad situation. Was told i am wait listed to Northwestern University one month ago. Then I attended an open house in Northeastern university. The professor was ready to offer me a position and asked me how serious I am. I told him I am waiting for Northwestern. He was kinda expecting me to confirm with him that I will attend and then he offers me the position. He then asked me to keep him posted with my situation. I feel scared that he offers someone else the position and also Northwestern rejects me. Have no idea what to do. It is so important to me to find a position this year :( Anybody any idea?

Edited by gebrahimi91

14 hours ago, dgswaim said:

I'm on two waitlists and in both cases they told me without my asking what my liklihood of admission was (very good :))

I emailed the DGS at FSU, basically just to try and confirm that I've been rejected, and he told me I'm "still in the running." Not really sure what that means. Guess we'll see.

Just trying to get some information that will help me decide where to go visit, but that feels quite awkward to ask the department: do you know of anyone who was waitlisted at Pitt and invited to their visiting days? I'm trying to figure out whether I'm low on the waitlist (though I was told it was unranked), and thus maybe shouldn't take the time to visit, or whether it's just their policy not to invite people on the waitlist to visiting days. 

7 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

Waitlisted at Michigan! @dgswaim, I'm catching up!

Nice!

Edit: at this point I'm almost hoping for WLs at FSU, Mizzou, and Maryland if only for comedic effect.

Edited by dgswaim