For those currently employed - does your employer know?

kseeful

Well, it sounds like a dirty little secret when I put it that way...

But I'm currently employed way outside of my field and when I was job searching, it became clear very quickly that I couldn't mention grad school if I wanted a job, so it felt like something I always had to hide at my current job. So far, I've heard back from one school who invited me to an open house and I'm taking PTO for it (and I'm out very sick this week, fudge...) but I'm worried - what if another school invites me and I'm taking all this time off... should I just eventually explain it to my employer? BONUS! What if I explain it to my employer and then don't get into grad school??? AWKWARD.

Edited by kseeful

I think about it the same way as looking for another job when you already have one. I would just take as much sick/personal/vacation time off as necessary. I would only tell the employer when I am certain of where I am going (i.e. accepted the school's offer) and when I feel the time is right. Some places you just want to give 2 weeks notice and leave. Others you might do a few months.

I think this is analogous to how the real world works. My spouse interviewed for months to find a better job and they only finally told their employer when they had a start date for the new job. This is why almost all job searches ask you before contacting your current employer as a reference!

And I believe it applies in academia too---faculty will sometimes look for jobs and they would only tell their current department once they accept the other offer, or if they are trying to renegotiate their own contract, then they would try to get a better offer from their own school when they get the other school's offer.

Overall, I wouldn't think of it as a dirty little secret. This is just how the world works. 

I teach at a high school and haven't told anyone but my closest teacher friends. I'm not sure when I'll let the administration know. Probably in April when I know for sure where I'm accepted. It's been stressful for me and will probably get a little emotional when I tell our principal. But as @TakeruK said, it's normal for people to move on and do what's best for them.

I told my employer, but I work at a university. I'm sure they don't want me to go, but they also want me to educate myself.

I think I lucked out a bit on that front.

I told my supervisor at my job last year around this time about my plans to apply for graduate school in fall 2016 admission. I know it was pretty ahead of the game to do so, but I planned to apply to many programs and I wanted her as an LOR, so I wanted to give her that courtesy. My position is entry-level and on average people stay between 1-2 years before continuing their education or moving up elsewhere.

Ultimately I asked my super and our org's executive director to write LORs for me. Now the whole office knows I plan to leave this summer. I'm very thankful to have such supportive colleagues who've helped to mentor me and reassure me of my career path.

I'm currently a college lecturer, so I told my direct supervisor and the program director who assigns me my courses, because I felt like they had to get a heads up that planning for next year could change. If either of them spilled the beans, I guess I don't really care who else knows. I wouldn't be THRILLED if my department chair or dean found out quite yet, not because I think they'd be mad if I leave but more out of embarrassment if I don't wind up getting accepted.

I told my employer around the time I took the GRE. Thankfully I applied to a school that has mainly classes at 4:30 or 7 pm.

I recently had my annual review and she asked me about my plans with graduate school. She said that she support me 100% and that we would make it work so I wouldn't have to leave. She also spoke to my org's deputy director and he's also on board of supporting. 

My colleagues are very supportive which actually makes me feel less stressed about having to juggle school and work since everyone knows.

This is a really great topic, as I've been struggling to navigate this myself. I'm not really in a position to be very open about my grad school plans at work. It's not necessarily that my colleagues wouldn't be supportive, it's just a complicated situation. I've been thinking that I will confirm somewhere this spring, and around June 1st I will officially let my supervisor know, which gives me up to three months to wrap things up and get things in order. I've had others say that giving more than two weeks notice is generally bad though, since it makes you a "lame duck" at work.

I mentioned grad school in my interview for this position, but my timeline was accelerated a bit. I've been told that this is a really common step for employees, especially for 20-somethings and I shouldn't feel guilty about it. That said, it does make me feel a little more secretive and disingenuous than I'd prefer.

Yes, and while it was somewhat awkward to bring up I didn't have much of a choice.  I've been with the same firm for six years and would have no chance of getting in anywhere without an amazing LOR from the principal.  (We'll see how amazing it was...)

My employer knew from the beginning that this was the end game.  I work in a closely related field, however, and I am friends with several of my coworkers.  They have been very supportive (I've worked here for about 18 months), but they do wish I was sticking around!  They've already made it clear that if  I don't get accepted that would be okay with them (jokingly!), and that I could come back after I got my degree if I wanted to.

For your position it sounds like it doesn't benefit you or them,  but it seems to me that all you really have to do is give them enough time to replace you once you get accepted! 

I have worked for my employer for two years. Though they know I am graduating in May, they do not know the grad schools I have applied for are far far away.They are assuming I am just going to continue to study at my current university.  I will just give them a two weeks notice before I leave wherever I go. They have been supportive during my academic studies as far as getting time off for labs and fieldwork, but I feel only 2 weeks is responsible enough to give them whether it is enough time to replace me or not.

My supervisor knows and wrote me a LOR.  He is super supportive but also pretty bummed that I am leaving.  He knows that since it is what I have wanted to do for awhile it really is time for me to move on.  Also my position is very entry level with little room to move up and most people leave right around now...

Upper management on the other hand will not be happy.  I am dreading telling them.  In fact I give it about a 50-50 chance they fire me on the spot when they find out.  I actually got a small promotion about 6 months back that was supposed to slowly phase me out of my research position into more of a customer support and training position.  I did not want this position but the company told me they want to "invest in me" and that there was nowhere else in the company for me to go to be invested in except for this new department.  The problem is that even though my position and pay have changed, I have received little to no training.  Although this is another sign that its time for grad school....I know management will not see it that way.

Anyways, I plan on telling my company about my plans sometime after I have accepted my final offer.  I have even thought about putting it off until as late as April 1st (the last day to accept the offer) even if I do accept an offer before that.  At that point if I do get fired I can go move in with mom and dad for a few months and teach myself to surf before I start grad school (they moved out to San Diego recently).

My employer doesn't know that I've applied for graduate school and I won't be saying anything until its time to put in notice that I'm leaving.  The job I'm in is a dead end and management knows this, yet they don't want to hire people that don't plan to stay forever.  I get that it costs money to hire and train, but if there's no incentive for people to stick around for more than 1-2 years then either accept that this is a stepping stone job or create incentives.  

So here's how I've handled the time off.  I didn't take a single vacation day that way I'd have plenty of time for interviews and to deal with relocation stuff.  I did not explain why I wanted to take time off, just put in the request in advance and did my job otherwise.  Should I get an offer this season then I'll give my employer 2 weeks notice and nothing more.  My job will be wrapped up properly so that anyone needing to cover for me until someone is hired won't be overwhelmed.

29 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

My employer doesn't know that I've applied for graduate school and I won't be saying anything until its time to put in notice that I'm leaving.  The job I'm in is a dead end and management knows this, yet they don't want to hire people that don't plan to stay forever.  I get that it costs money to hire and train, but if there's no incentive for people to stick around for more than 1-2 years then either accept that this is a stepping stone job or create incentives.  

So here's how I've handled the time off.  I didn't take a single vacation day that way I'd have plenty of time for interviews and to deal with relocation stuff.  I did not explain why I wanted to take time off, just put in the request in advance and did my job otherwise.  Should I get an offer this season then I'll give my employer 2 weeks notice and nothing more.  My job will be wrapped up properly so that anyone needing to cover for me until someone is hired won't be overwhelmed.

That is the same way I feel. Just because a temporary company is supportive, it does not mean you need to give them more than two weeks notice. I read a few articles that those who give the company more than 2 weeks notice, the company will retaliate and find a reason to fire a person or even make the individual miserable. I rather not take any chances and leave on a good and professional note without involving my outside work life with a company.

I think it kind of varies depending on the situation. I've been at my current job for about a year and a half now. They know that I've applied to schools, and I told them I would let them know as soon as I found out for sure I was accepted so that they would definitely have months of time to prepare and hire someone new. I don't think it's necessarily important to let them know beforehand that you've applied places. But once you know for sure that you're in, I'd say let them know as soon as you know you're accepted, and tell them exactly when your last day will be. Though I'm reading the response above mine and I see people saying two weeks notice is plenty. I guess it really depends on how close you are with the people at the place you work. I'm in a very small, tight knit group, so we know and care a lot about each other's lives.

My employer knows.  I have a 'part-time career' which I have been in the past year since finishing my undergrad. My boss is levelheaded enough to know that I'm young, living at home, and working casual hours... it's the opportune time for educational advancement and my boss is willing to schedule my shifts around my schooling. Quite the perfect situation - should I be accepted. However, I only told my boss because of the nature of my work. Essentially my employer needs to know my availability months in advance for certain jobs, training etc. If that wasn't the case I would hold off telling them until I was given an acceptance letter from a university.

I think it definitely depends on each job and the relationship you have (or any contract you have) with your employers whether or not you give more than 2 weeks notice. I think unless there is something exceptionally good about the company or your manager and/or you have some vested interest in how the company fares after you leave, there's no point giving more than minimal notice. My philosophy is that you don't "owe" them more than the standard 2 week notice just because the bosses were decent human beings that didn't mistreat you.

So, in this case below:

6 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Anyways, I plan on telling my company about my plans sometime after I have accepted my final offer.  I have even thought about putting it off until as late as April 1st (the last day to accept the offer) even if I do accept an offer before that.  At that point if I do get fired I can go move in with mom and dad for a few months and teach myself to surf before I start grad school (they moved out to San Diego recently).

I would actually wait until the very last minute (2 weeks notice or whatever your contract is). Being fired on the spot on April 1 will suck and you will lose on months of income.

And, in general, if they know you are leaving in 6 months (or whatever the number will be), it means you are almost guaranteed not to get a raise or any increase in benefits. This is also unfair, so that's why I would also advocate for waiting as late as possible. You lose almost all your bargaining and (limited) employee powers when they know you are leaving soon.

6 hours ago, ETRXRock said:

That is the same way I feel. Just because a temporary company is supportive, it does not mean you need to give them more than two weeks notice. I read a few articles that those who give the company more than 2 weeks notice, the company will retaliate and find a reason to fire a person or even make the individual miserable. I rather not take any chances and leave on a good and professional note without involving my outside work life with a company.

Now there may be some states or employment contracts that require a person to give more notice, but that doesn't apply to my situation.  For me 2 weeks is a professional courtesy and I wouldn't feel right with anything less since I'm not being treated horribly.  I also took into consideration that if things were different and management were to do layoffs its likely I wouldn't be given any notice let alone 2 whole weeks.  Leaving on my terms means not only that I control when my last paycheck comes, but also how long I have access to my benefits.

I got an office job at a University after I graduated, something to pay my bills while I sought fulfillment elsewhere. The plan was not always grad school, but it's definitely a job you transition out of in a year or two. My immediate co-workers know and a few others in my building do as well. I didn't keep it a secret but I didn't exactly broadcast it either. My boss knows that I plan to attend grad school in the fall, they knew when I took a day off to take the GRE in August, and they know I'm visiting a campus for a recruitment visit next month. They don't know however that I plan to quit at the end of May and spend my summer elsewhere. I'm waiting for that discussion until I officially accept an offer and put in my notice - which will probably be a month, or month and a half. I know this seems like a long time, but having had my job for almost 3 years I know how long it can take to get a competent temp and train them. I'm now the person on my team with the most institutional knowledge and frankly it's a little scary. I want them to be in good hands when I leave, but mostly to assuage a strange guilt I have at leaving - - though I owe them nothing. I think the reason I felt comfortable being mostly transparent about grad school is that my position is entry-level and sort of designed as a stepping stone, the field I work in is one I very obviously have no special interest in, and my team is very small and informal. 

11 hours ago, ETRXRock said:

Wow, that's something to think about. I just feel so clandestine waiting til 2 weeks out because it sure doesn't give them a whole lot of time to replace me and will impact my coworkers. Thanks for this.

9 hours ago, kseeful said:

Wow, that's something to think about. I just feel so clandestine waiting til 2 weeks out because it sure doesn't give them a whole lot of time to replace me and will impact my coworkers. Thanks for this.

It does not matter how "close" you are to your coworkers or how much time it takes to replace you. As mentioned above, depending on where you live, 2 weeks is the standard maximum in the United States. Whether you give them 2 months (which is ridiculuous) or two weeks, you will leave on the same good note. This is what we all want out of our jobs, a good note and to not burn any bridges. My husband and I both work at the same employer and yes, are two weeks notice will be given at the same time. The company is my husband's long turn career and he will transfer wherever we go, and depending on funding, I will most likely do the same.

I agree it depends on the situation. I'm an executive and will be expected to give 3-4 months notice, and to also help with an executive search. My last place of employment actually required 6+ months notice for the executive level per the employee handbook, which we all found laughable. 

Whether I'll be able to keep my head in the game for 3 months is another matter. My SO will start to job hunt in a new city as soon as I have an acceptance in my hand, so it may be that he needs to move before me. If the executive search is going well and my SO is moving, I may try to head out earlier. 

My predecessor was in the job for 18 years, and her predecessor was in the job for 15 years, so the board will be in for a shock when they get my notice. I really dread that day. Ah, the power of guilt!

I gave my boss two weeks and it was like they turned into a different person. Well, more like a monster. Rude, not returning calls/emails, etc. Very immature and unprofessional. It really angered me, but also upset me because it came out of nowhere and I considered myself a good, dedicated employee (I was the only one who never took time off, never called out last minute, etc). And we had a great relationship up until then, they even wrote me a LOR for grad school. I'm not mad or upset anymore, but it was a lesson for me to not overextend myself in the workplace, and to no longer be surprised when/if I see a horrible side of a boss/manager after putting in a leave, or requesting much needed personal/sick time. It's one of those things that you /know/ is a possibility, have heard it happen to friends/family, but it doesn't really become real until it happens to you. 

Edited by artsy16

On 2/13/2016 at 3:10 PM, artsy16 said:

I gave my boss two weeks and it was like they turned into a different person. Well, more like a monster. Rude, not returning calls/emails, etc. Very immature and unprofessional. It really angered me, but also upset me because it came out of nowhere and I considered myself a good, dedicated employee (I was the only one who never took time off, never called out last minute, etc). And we had a great relationship up until then, they even wrote me a LOR for grad school. I'm not mad or upset anymore, but it was a lesson for me to not overextend myself in the workplace, and to no longer be surprised when/if I see a horrible side of a boss/manager after putting in a leave, or requesting much needed personal/sick time. It's one of those things that you /know/ is a possibility, have heard it happen to friends/family, but it doesn't really become real until it happens to you. 

This happened with me at my previous job when I was transferring from a community college to my current university. My former employer even declined my time off to move into my apartment! They required a 45 day notice and I gave them a 40 day notice which was as soon as I found out I was approved for my lease. I, also, was an exceptional employee and everyone treated my nicely up until my two weeks notice came up. Sometimes I wish I would have given them 1 week notice but I wanted to keep it professional. As for declining my days off to move to a different state, I threatened to quit since I HAD to move, but then they approved my days off :)

My employers are acutely aware of my intent to leave. It helps that I work in the field I'm trying to go to school for, and that pretty much everyone at my company outside of myself has an MS or PhD. Most, if not all, of them are supportive and have offered to do anything they can to help me get back to school. I gave them a window as to when I might expect to leave, should I get in somewhere, and I'll give an official two weeks notice when the time comes.