If we all post where we expect to accept or decline, I think it will give some of the folks on waitlists some idea of movement. Where have you been accepted to/waitlisted? What are your top choices?

Edited by WildeCard

Yesssss, I can get behind this. I have a pretty massive vested interest as I'm waitlisted at 2 dreams and that's all I've got going so far. I hereby pledge my undying commitment to this thread. 

My waitlists are U of Missouri English and U of Virginia English. Yes, I know those programs are quite separated in the rankings, but frankly when it comes to fit (as it ultimately does), they'd both be nails. I just need one, right? I have no acceptances yet. I am dying to see some movement on one or both of these waitlists. I said way back in the submitting-applications phase that I'd throw myself into a writing project to get through the waiting period, and I have, and it's been effective, but with this recent news even this game plan has stopped working. I can't concentrate, I can barely think straight. My throat is dry, my hands are clammy. Productivity has plummeted. Sleep is restless. Etc etc etc. Show me some hope, I'll stay connected.

I've heard back from every program I applied to except Michigan, but I think I can safely assume that that's a presumed rejection. So that leaves me with an acceptance from UC-Davis and a waitlist at CUNY. I'm not sure if I have a preference yet, but both present strong fits for my research interests and both are fantastic programs. We'll see how I feel after visiting day.

But as it stands now, both programs appeal to me in different ways. In the short term, UC-Davis might be a better choice because it'd be easier to transition and to re-acclimate to academic work. I've been out of the game for 6 years, and I know I'll go through an adjustment period. Since Davis is a small cowtown and still in my home state of California, it'd be easier (and cheaper) to live there. I could focus on my studies without having to worry as much about finding affordable housing, getting used to a different climate, and getting along in a super dense city on the other side of the country. I also have family in the Bay Area.

CUNY, however, may be better for me in the medium and long run. It's higher ranked and has a better placement record. I'll also have the opportunity to access resources and take classes (I think) at NYU and Columbia through their consortium agreement. Generally speaking, CUNY may be better for my future academic career, even if I have to make more personal and social sacrifices to live and study in New York City. I'm worried, though, that if I truly struggle to adjust to the brutal winters, the cost of living, and the crush of the city itself during the first couple years, I could end up jeopordizing my good standing with the program and drop out.

So there's my conundrum. Of course, CUNY would actually have to offer me a spot before any of these considerations would matter. Now it's a waiting game to see if I have to make a choice at all.

I've got rejected from Notre Dame and University of Miami, Ohio.

I'm still waiting for: Rochester, Syracuse, University of Florida, Arkansas, North Eastern, Upenn, Vanderbilt, and Washington.

I just want to be accepted to one of the programs and pursue my dream course in any of them.

I've been accepted to University of Connecticut and wait listed at Minnesota (18th/19th Century subfield; I'm told I'm high up). On the surface Minnesota seems a better fit for to me so I'm inclined to accept their offer if it comes through. Visiting UConn at the end of this month and going to an open house for Minnesota on March 10/11.

(Though I haven't seen many UConn/Minnesota applicants on here this cycle so maybe this info isn't of use to many!)

2 hours ago, LuxuryBlue said:

Congrats! You are a waitlist collector haha. I am sure you will be admitted off the waitlist in the end. Good luck!

Yes, thanks! I've got none in my hand and three-and-counting in some cruelly unreachable bush. So to speak.

I'm waitlisted at Davis, and while I'd be happy to go to any of the school I'm waiting to hear from (Oregon, Indiana, Mississippi) Davis is pretty much my dream. I don't have any details about my position or movement or anything.

3 hours ago, lesabendio said:

I've heard back from every program I applied to except Michigan, but I think I can safely assume that that's a presumed rejection. So that leaves me with an acceptance from UC-Davis and a waitlist at CUNY. I'm not sure if I have a preference yet, but both present strong fits for my research interests and both are fantastic programs. We'll see how I feel after visiting day.

But as it stands now, both programs appeal to me in different ways. In the short term, UC-Davis might be a better choice because it'd be easier to transition and to re-acclimate to academic work. I've been out of the game for 6 years, and I know I'll go through an adjustment period. Since Davis is a small cowtown and still in my home state of California, it'd be easier (and cheaper) to live there. I could focus on my studies without having to worry as much about finding affordable housing, getting used to a different climate, and getting along in a super dense city on the other side of the country. I also have family in the Bay Area.

CUNY, however, may be better for me in the medium and long run. It's higher ranked and has a better placement record. I'll also have the opportunity to access resources and take classes (I think) at NYU and Columbia through their consortium agreement. Generally speaking, CUNY may be better for my future academic career, even if I have to make more personal and social sacrifices to live and study in New York City. I'm worried, though, that if I truly struggle to adjust to the brutal winters, the cost of living, and the crush of the city itself during the first couple years, I could end up jeopordizing my good standing with the program and drop out.

So there's my conundrum. Of course, CUNY would actually have to offer me a spot before any of these considerations would matter. Now it's a waiting game to see if I have to make a choice at all.

What is your area of interest?

I'm a Comp/Rhet MA applicant and I have a rejection from Michigan State and acceptances from Eastern Michigan University, Miami University of Ohio, and the University of South Florida.

I turned Eastern down, am visiting Miami and USF in March, and am still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools. I'm pretty torn between Miami and USF at this point, but I hope to pick one after I attend both open houses. And maybe by then I'll have heard back from the other schools, too.

Good luck, everyone!!

Hello all! I'm a postmodern/contemporary American literature PhD applicant. I was accepted to SUNY-Buffalo and waitlisted at Boston University. Still waiting to hear back from five schools (by early March, I hope).

Given the very small cohort size at BU, I don't expect to be moved up from the waitlist (but it would certainly be a nice surprise!).

Good luck to everyone!

16 hours ago, doubledogd said:

Hello all! I'm a postmodern/contemporary American literature PhD applicant. I was accepted to SUNY-Buffalo and waitlisted at Boston University. Still waiting to hear back from five schools (by early March, I hope).

Given the very small cohort size at BU, I don't expect to be moved up from the waitlist (but it would certainly be a nice surprise!).

Good luck to everyone!

Out of curiousity, how small is "very small"?

No movement yet, too early. Here's the kind of stuff getting me by - in the immortal words of Guns n Roses, 

Said, woman, take it slow
It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience
Said, sugar, make it slow
And we come together fine
All we need is just a little patience
(patience)
Mm, yeah

I'm waitlisted at CUNY and BU, which are my two top choices. The BU waitlist is based on area of specialization, not ranking--so, if you have been accepted to BU as a women's and gender studies / queer studies / American lit person and see this message, please reply!!! I'm pretty sure BU and I are soulmates. 

Looking back at the results board from last year, I could find only 1 acceptance off the waitlist at CUNY English. That was early April or so. I was wondering if anybody knew the average number of CUNY waitlisters who get offers and when they typically do.  

4 hours ago, lesabendio said:

Looking back at the results board from last year, I could find only 1 acceptance off the waitlist at CUNY English. That was early April or so. I was wondering if anybody knew the average number of CUNY waitlisters who get offers and when they typically do.  

That is really the sort of thing you have to ask the program advisor/coordinator about. Even so, knowing how things went last year or the year before does not necessarily tell you anything about your odds this year.