On 4/8/2016 at 1:33 PM, MeNotMe said:

In off the waitlist at LSU. If anyone has a particularly positive or negative story/anecdote/blatantly unsourced rumor to share about LSU, I'm all ears. Congrats to all getting good news this week, or next. 

At last year's C's, LSU hosted a party in their hotel suite, and I was invited just because I happened to to meet some LSU students at a panel that I attended. They had king cake and everything. They seem like a really friendly bunch, but I remember that they were worried about the recent decisions by LSU's administration and the increasing lack of funding given to the humanities.

On 4/11/2016 at 2:23 PM, Romanista said:

At last year's C's, LSU hosted a party in their hotel suite, and I was invited just because I happened to to meet some LSU students at a panel that I attended. They had king cake and everything. They seem like a really friendly bunch, but I remember that they were worried about the recent decisions by LSU's administration and the increasing lack of funding given to the humanities.

I was at that party! There were beads.    

This year's was in a hotel room as well, but was too crowded so I skipped out to the Fountainhead Party at House of Blues.

42 minutes ago, A blighted one said:

Have declined MAs with funding at UW-Milwaukee, Oregon State University, and The University of Vermont in the last few days. Hope this helps someone out!

Have you decided where you'd like to go?

15 hours ago, EmmaJava said:

Just got in off the waitlist at UVa!

I...am so happy, I can't even say.

Amazing! Congrats on the admission! (If I thought I had a chance at any top 10/20 programs, that is the one I would have gone for --  I love their faculty (just judging from the outside)). 

Hi everyone, thanks for all the congratulatory comments! @redjacobin, thanks so much for your decline, talk about a windfall for me. Crazy how the dominoes fall, isn't it? Well, that's it for me - I am committing to UVa and what can I say, it's been a wild ride. I'll let Purdue, DU and Mizzou know that they can remove me from their lists, if that is helpful to anyone. I sure hope so. I'm likely to sign off for some time only because my relationship with social media is kinda love-hate, but I have appreciated all the trench-like camaraderie and support and humor and you name it. Good luck to all, sincerely.

2 hours ago, EmmaJava said:

Hi everyone, thanks for all the congratulatory comments! @redjacobin, thanks so much for your decline, talk about a windfall for me. Crazy how the dominoes fall, isn't it? Well, that's it for me - I am committing to UVa and what can I say, it's been a wild ride. I'll let Purdue, DU and Mizzou know that they can remove me from their lists, if that is helpful to anyone. I sure hope so. I'm likely to sign off for some time only because my relationship with social media is kinda love-hate, but I have appreciated all the trench-like camaraderie and support and humor and you name it. Good luck to all, sincerely.

Congrats on having a program locked up!! 

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 11:57 AM, EmmaJava said:

I'm so happy for you!! I've been following your posts with interest and have enjoyed interacting with you here on the forum. Congratulations and all the very best!!! Virginia is a lovely state.

Just took my name off the wait list at Minnesota (first in my subfield, 18th/19th century). I think I just died a little inside, but I had to pull the trigger sometime. Everything happens for a reason. Will be attending UConn in the fall. Hope this opens the way for someone else! :)

18 hours ago, Warelin said:

Congratulations on deciding! :)

4 hours ago, klader said:

Congratulations on making your choice!! I wish you the very best :)

Thanks!!! It was a difficult decision!

Edited by A blighted one